Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Old 03-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Default motor 6 lead identification

I have a 125 horsepower 480 volt six lead motor. The little metal tags fell off all the leads but one. How do I get these reidentified and sorted out? Thanks.

Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
I have a 125 horsepower 480 volt six lead motor. The little metal tags fell off all the leads but one. How do I get these reidentified and sorted out? Thanks.
Is it a single voltage wye start/delta run setup, done with remote starters?

If so, all the windings should be totally isolated inside the motor and you should be able to ring out each pair. Otherwise, maybe someone else can enlighten you

erics37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #3

And also, here's a link to just about every motor connection diagram you can conjure up:

http://www.usmotors.com/TechDocs/Con...-Diagrams.aspx
erics37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to erics37 For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (03-18-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

6-lead is not too bad. You basically have three pairs.

Ohm them out to find each pair. Label one pair T1 and T4, another pair T2 and T5, and another pair T3 and T6. Use U1 and U2, V1 and V2, and W1 and W2 if you're doing a European motor.

Mind you, I'm assuming that this 125 horse motor is wye-delta. Probably is.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #5

Yes, it is wye delta. It has three contactors. One start, one run, and one that shorts the star point during starting. Thanks for the help! Didn't think this would be so easy. Good thing it wasn't a 12 lead motor!
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Yes, it is wye delta. It has three contactors. One start, one run, and one that shorts the star point during starting. Thanks for the help! Didn't think this would be so easy. Good thing it wasn't a 12 lead motor!
Cool. The pic below is what you have then. Sometimes a picture helps get it straight in your head:

EDIT: I see, for some reason, they forgot to mark T6 in the pic. Should be pretty self-explanatory which terminal that is.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
BR549

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Cool. The pic below is what you have then. Sometimes a picture helps get it straight in your head:

EDIT: I see, for some reason, they forgot to mark T6 in the pic. Should be pretty self-explanatory which terminal that is.
Sequence of operation would be 1M/S Close, M2Close/ S open?

How are the timing intervals established for each of the contactor operations?
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis

Yes.

The sequence is normally done with timers or timers and current sensing relays. The last one I did, I used the Plc for the timings, since the motor had a tach generator on it.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post

There has to be an open transition between S opening and M2 closing. If you don't have thet brief transition time, you can close M2 into a dead short through S, not good. You can buy dedicated timers that will take care of it all for you, they are called "Star-Delta Timers" (Star is what everyone else in the world calls "Wye"). Thye have the Star-to-Delta transition time adjustable to the user but the open transition time is fixed so it can't be effed up.

You can also do it with what are called "Early Make / Late Break" aux contacts on the contactors to prevent that closed transition, download a wiring diagram from a NEMA manufacturer like A-B or Sq. D if you want to see how it's done.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #10

Just finding the pairs is not enough to correctly identify the leads. You have to be able to be able to identify what end is what for each pair. That is on pair one you have to find out what end is T1 and what end is T4 and do the same with the other pairs.
don_resqcapt19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Electron Flow Consultant

I was working on this Friday. No markings on the leads and nothing on the motor. Looked on their website and it referred to the diagram on the motor. I tried to call them, but they were east coast and already closed. The lead that looks red is actually orange. I need to wire this for 120v. Any help? By the way the lead that looks black is actually brown.

Last edited by sparky970; 03-18-2012 at 03:44 PM.
sparky970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky970

I was working on this Friday. No markings on the leads and nothing on the motor. Looked on their website and it referred to the diagram on the motor. I tried to call them, but they were east coast and already closed. The lead that looks red is actually orange. I need to wire this for 120v. Any help? By the way the lead that looks black is actually brown.
Did you post this to the wrong thread? What does this have to do with a 6 lead 3 phase Wye Delta motor?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Electron Flow Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
Did you post this to the wrong thread? What does this have to do with a 6 lead 3 phase Wye Delta motor?
I did, my mistake. It does have 6 leads though
Old 03-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #14

For future reference you should start another thread if it not directly related. But since you are here, without the nameplate info it's difficult to tell. 1 phase motors usually don't have that many leads, so the extras are probably thermal sensors or moisture sensors or both. Not having the diagram cam be a disaster if you guess wrong. I take it the diagram on the inside cover of the connection box is gone? If so you can contact Bluffton Motor Works in Indiana and ask them for it.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
Electron Flow Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaef View Post
For future reference you should start another thread if it not directly related. But since you are here, without the nameplate info it's difficult to tell. 1 phase motors usually don't have that many leads, so the extras are probably thermal sensors or moisture sensors or both. Not having the diagram cam be a disaster if you guess wrong. I take it the diagram on the inside cover of the connection box is gone? If so you can contact Bluffton Motor Works in Indiana and ask them for it.
They were closed when I called Friday. Didn't want to guess and ruin a new motor. Color code didn't match NEMA. I'll need try tomorrow. Again didn't mean to hijack this thread.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Wire Ninja

I think Bluffton is just Franklin Electric by another name, and they always did use screwy color codes.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
Bilge Rat

Quote:
I think Bluffton is just Franklin Electric by another name, and they always did use screwy color codes.
They sure did! And not always the same colors from one motor to the next.

BTW, the unwritten standard color codes for motor leads (both single and 3ø) used by a number of manufacturers are;

T1= Blue

T2 = White

T3 = Orange

T4 = Yellow

T5 = Black

T6 = Purple (sometimes brown)

T7 = Pink

T8 = Red

T9 = Gray

On a single phase motor with a built-in thermal protector, P1 and P2 are often brown and purple, but in no particular order.

Last edited by micromind; 03-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
Just finding the pairs is not enough to correctly identify the leads. You have to be able to be able to identify what end is what for each pair. That is on pair one you have to find out what end is T1 and what end is T4 and do the same with the other pairs.
Not sure why that would even matter.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Not sure why that would even matter.
The full voltage connection of a basic 6 lead motor is L1 = T1 & T6; L2 = T2 &T4; L3 = T3 & T5.

If it were to be connected L1 = T6 & T1 and the others connected as stated above, 2/3 of the motor will turn one direction, the other 1/3 the other direction.

Motor coils have polarity, and the polarity must be in proper sequence.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #20
Electron Flow Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
The full voltage connection of a basic 6 lead motor is L1 = T1 & T6; L2 = T2 &T4; L3 = T3 & T5.

If it were to be connected L1 = T6 & T1 and the others connected as stated above, 2/3 of the motor will turn one direction, the other 1/3 the other direction.

Motor coils have polarity, and the polarity must be in proper sequence.

huh?