CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Old 08-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Single Phase Motor wants to be reversed

I am working for a farmer who would like one of his single phase motors to be able to reverse. It runs a grain auger and would like to bump it if it gets plugged. I know its not as easy to reverse a single phase in comparison to a 3 phase, but i know it can be done. I'm not sure how though but I think of a corded drill or a standard ceiling fan both of which can be reversed with the touch of a switch. At the moment, the motor is low voltage controlled with a hand/off/auto. Let me know if you need any more specs on the motor or control wiring to make this happen. The farmer is pretty anal about getting this done and so cost isn't really an issue. Thanks.

Empowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 148

Never done it but maybe alter the current through the start winding, if accessible.

RIVETER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,876

If the motor leads are marked swap lead 5 & lead 8. If the leads are color coded swap the black lead and the red lead.

Most motors have a wiring diagram right on the nameplate. Have you looked at it?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
976-EVIL

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empowered View Post
I am working for a farmer who would like one of his single phase motors to be able to reverse. It runs a grain auger and would like to bump it if it gets plugged. I know its not as easy to reverse a single phase in comparison to a 3 phase, but i know it can be done. I'm not sure how though but I think of a corded drill or a standard ceiling fan both of which can be reversed with the touch of a switch. At the moment, the motor is low voltage controlled with a hand/off/auto. Let me know if you need any more specs on the motor or control wiring to make this happen. The farmer is pretty anal about getting this done and so cost isn't really an issue. Thanks.

Assuming the mototr is reversible (some are not) You will need a barrel (drum) switch. I just put one on a lathe for a small machine shop. Single phase 10 hp
mcclary's electrical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
Assuming the mototr is reversible (some are not) You will need a barrel (drum) switch. I just put one on a lathe for a small machine shop. Single phase 10 hp
How can a person tell wether or not the motor is reversable?
Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
How can a person tell wether or not the motor is reversable?

Depends on how many leads they brought out.
If there are four leads visible in the connection box then it's reversible (assuming it's not a dual voltage motor).

Normally the name plate will tell you how to reverse it if it's reversible.
Take the connection plate off (sometimes it's written on the back).
Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #7

typically there are specs on the name plate stating whether or not the motor is reversible and which leads to swap which typically for 120/208 are black/red. I just did one with a manual speed control switch because the one that went up was proprietary with a logic board. I bought a used motor that was reversed so i had to change it back.....damn HVAC proprietary junk!
teslacontracting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

What Hp is the motor?
On smaller motors, I have used a 20 amp 4-way toggle switch inside a Weatherproof cover to reverse the start winding leads.
For larger motors, you may have to either use a drum switch (already mentioned) or use a reversing contactor inside an enclosure connected to the existing equipment.
Make sure the customer does not run it in reverse too long; those old bearings don't react very well to reversing. I have used a 3 position toggle switch, ON-OFF-MOMENTARY ON to prevent running in reverse inadvertently.
Hope this helps,
Rick
subelect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
Electrical Guy

Rewards Points: 75

If you want you could replace the motor with 3phase motor and throw a vfd on the singlephase source to make your three phase supply for the motor.
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
976-EVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
If you want you could replace the motor with 3phase motor and throw a vfd on the singlephase source to make your three phase supply for the motor.

He said a farmerDon't know many of them that spend thousand on a grain auger
mcclary's electrical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
He said a farmerDon't know many of them that spend thousand on a grain auger
Reverse the leads 5 and 8 in the start winding
Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
Modérateur

A revering drum switch will work just fine in this useage but you will have to find one with contsanst on - off - monteary on

or a hevey duty DPDT switch with consatnt on and second part with mometary on { it depending on how big the motour itself will be }

And majorty of single phase motor on North Americia side # 5 et #8 is the starting coil and once you reverse it the motor will run the reverse rotation.

Merci.
Marc
Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gold

Dont most of those Augers, like other farm equipment, use a 120volt single phase motor? To keep things simple. Like a stock dayton. At least thats what every electric motor is on the farms around here.

If it is what I think it is you just replace the motor with this from grainger and plug it in.

2Z846 (3/4 horse)

No wiring required. Plug 3-conductor cord on control into
standard AC receptacle. Built-in features include minimum and
maximum adjustable speed, current/torque limit, and fixed IR
compensation. Control has Forward On/Off/Reverse On switch,
and Power-On indicator light. TEFC enclosure, 56C NEMA frame.
115 Input volts AC @60/50 Hz. C-face mount with removable
rigid base. 50 to 1 control speed range. Service factor 1.0. Ins.
class F. CW/CCW rotation.
No. 4Z248: 9.1 max. output torque at
all speeds.
No. 1F800: 16.2 max. output torque at all speeds.

No. 2Z846: 18.9 max. output torque at all speeds.

http://www.grainger.com/images/dayton_ff.pdf

look on page 8

gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Introyble View Post
Reverse the leads 5 and 8 in the start winding
Ya after futher looking at the motor i see that this can be done, however they would like a switch for reverse/forward. Now what I'm thinking, in order to simplify the task i may be able to find a 2pole 2 throw switch on to put on there with the leads reversed on each throw. same thing as a tansfer switch but i only want it the size of an AC disconect and manual control!! its a 7.5 hp 35 FLA with 1.15 service factor. Do such switches exist?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold View Post
Dont most of those Augers, like other farm equipment, use a 120volt single phase motor? To keep things simple. Like a stock dayton. At least thats what every electric motor is on the farms around here.

If it is what I think it is you just replace the motor with this from grainger and plug it in.

2Z846 (3/4 horse)

No wiring required. Plug 3-conductor cord on control into
standard AC receptacle. Built-in features include minimum and
maximum adjustable speed, current/torque limit, and fixed IR
compensation. Control has Forward On/Off/Reverse On switch,
and Power-On indicator light. TEFC enclosure, 56C NEMA frame.
115 Input volts AC @60/50 Hz. C-face mount with removable
rigid base. 50 to 1 control speed range. Service factor 1.0. Ins.
class F. CW/CCW rotation.
No. 4Z248: 9.1 max. output torque at
all speeds.
No. 1F800: 16.2 max. output torque at all speeds.

No. 2Z846: 18.9 max. output torque at all speeds.

http://www.grainger.com/images/dayton_ff.pdf

look on page 8

no not here its mainly 240v because its not a remote area 3 phase isnt feasible
Old 08-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
A revering drum switch will work just fine in this useage but you will have to find one with contsanst on - off - monteary on

or a hevey duty DPDT switch with consatnt on and second part with mometary on { it depending on how big the motour itself will be }

And majorty of single phase motor on North Americia side # 5 et #8 is the starting coil and once you reverse it the motor will run the reverse rotation.

Merci.
Marc
Ya thats what i was thinking in my head was a heavy duty DPDT but my wholesaler thinks he can only get a 60 amp transfer switch which would be waaaay to big, I've never worked with a Drum switch, how do they work and are they rated for a 7.5 hp 35 FLA 1.15 SF?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Ya after futher looking at the motor i see that this can be done, however they would like a switch for reverse/forward. Now what I'm thinking, in order to simplify the task i may be able to find a 2pole 2 throw switch on to put on there with the leads reversed on each throw. same thing as a tansfer switch but i only want it the size of an AC disconect and manual control!! its a 7.5 hp 35 FLA with 1.15 service factor. Do such switches exist?
Most often what we do in this situation is wire a reversing motor starter. Wire 2 starters side by side, one for forward and the other for reverse. Of course the starters are pulled in by a 3 way switch. Switch left ~ pulls in coil for forward direction, switch middle ~ off and switch right for reverse polarity.

The diagram below is of course 3 phase with overloads. Ignore the 3 phase and add the overloads if you like. For overloads ~ we usually run the neutral from a2 on the coil (motor starter) through a normally open set of aux contacts on the motor starter.

Last edited by Introyble; 08-31-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Introyble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Introyble For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #18

Nice GIF .. I like it..
Introyble (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 11:37 PM   #19
Modérateur

Quote:
Ya thats what i was thinking in my head was a heavy duty DPDT but my wholesaler thinks he can only get a 60 amp transfer switch which would be waaaay to big, I've never worked with a Drum switch, how do they work and are they rated for a 7.5 hp 35 FLA 1.15 SF?

Voila!

Try this one I know they do make pretty big ase sized drum switch

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ADV...016?Pid=search

Hit that link that will help you something you are looking for.

Merci.
Marc
Old 10-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #20
Registered Member

what type of single phase motor?? from my experience..just twist the cable for starting and running winding..or twist the supply cable for capacitor..it will reverse the rotation.

lemau is offline   Reply With Quote