CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > PLCs, VFDs, Motors and Controls

Old 03-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Testing a 120v fan motor

I have an Actic Fan with a single phase 120v motor. It has not been used for some time. I read 9 ohms when tested across the elect. source wires, ie, black and white. Does this indicate a fault in the motor windings? Is there another way to test this simple motor other than energizing it and possibly blowing a breaker? When I am doing this ohms test, the feed wires to the motor are connected to the Motor only. I have disconected them at the junction box. Thanks for any help.

kdwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdwy View Post
I have an Actic Fan with a single phase 120v motor. It has not been used for some time. I read 9 ohms when tested across the elect. source wires, ie, black and white. Does this indicate a fault in the motor windings? Is there another way to test this simple motor other than energizing it and possibly blowing a breaker? When I am doing this ohms test, the feed wires to the motor are connected to the Motor only. I have disconected them at the junction box. Thanks for any help.
All that tells you is that the windings are not open. You can't tell anything really useful about a motor's condition from a 9V battery. If you are really worried, you could take it to a motor shop to be tested first.

JRaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #3

Quote:
You can hook up the fan thru a SERIES LAMP if the motor is defective as say drawing excess current , the LAMP will become bright, indicating the defect.If there is no defect the fan blade will rotate.
alimaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #4

Thanks for both suggestions on the fan motor testing. How do I hook up a SERIES LIGHT to test the motor? Aren't you energizing the fan by doing this type of test? Thanks for the explaination.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Electric Al

Rewards Points: 2,052

Quote:
Thanks for both suggestions on the fan motor testing. (How do I hook up a SERIES LIGHT) to test the motor? Aren't you energizing the fan by doing this type of test? Thanks for the explaination.
IN SERIES

Steven Wright
oldtimer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hook it up to 120V. You can wire a cartridge fuse inline with the black if you absolutely have to.

Almost all motors read low ohms, because to the meter, the motor windings look like really long wires. It's probably good, unless there's a bad cap. Even then, if it's a weeny fan, it's shaded pole, with no cap.
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Thanks Miller, appreciate your help. I will let you know what happens. Just for my information, explain to me a SERIES LAMP and how its used to test things. I remember an older electrician in my area( that has forgot more than I will ever know), whom i think had one on his workshop area. He passed away many years ago. Thanks again for your help
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Never fear, Slick is here

Rewards Points: 2,000

A series lamp will be a regular light bulb, usually 100 watts, in one of those rubber sockets with the flexible leads brought out.

To test your fan motor with one, you would connect as follows:

120 vac hot source to black lead on socket;
120 vac neutral source to the white lead on the motor;
the white lead from the socket to the black lead on the motor.

That puts the bulb in series with the motor.

If the motor is good, the bulb will light dim (or not at all) and the motor will run.

If the motor is shorted the bulb will light up full intensity and the motor will not run.
kdwy (03-22-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
I void warranties

Rewards Points: 2,094

Attic fan? Like residential 100 something bucks at HD fan?

I'm not even wasting time testing one of those, power it up, if it doesn't work get another motor.

Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlarson For This Useful Post:
BBQ (03-22-2011), kdwy (03-22-2011)