CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Old 07-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #1

Default Average Wage for Apprentice.

So I know it will vary state to state and on how much a Journeyman makes. And I'm talking non union. Minimum Wage here is like 8.63 or something like that. I'm making $10 an hour working on anything from 1800 sq ft to 11000 sqft houses. I can do almost everything the journeyman can do and I seem to know the code better than most of the people I work with. My boss keeps on telling me that money isn't an issue, but he won't give me a raise.

So I guess I'm wondering on how much a Apprentice should make. I have about 2200 out of the 4000 hours required for a 02 Journeyman license.

FCR1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Depends on your geographic area, but in mine 12 bucks is about what a green helper makes.

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Depends on your geographic area, but in mine 12 bucks is about what a green helper makes.
Non union 1st year 0-2000hrs 12.78 (40% of JM rate) plus 8% for holiday/vacation pay
2nd year 2-4000hrs 15.98 (50%)
3rd year 4-6000hrs 20.77 (65%)
4th year 6-8000hrs 25.56 (80%)
Journeyman 31.95

Union rates are higher as a JM makes roughly $36 plus 10%

With the shortage of JM and apprentices, most of the shops here are paying union rate

Pretty hard to compare your rate as it appears that your area has a 2 year apprenticeship but i would think that you should be getting 60-75% of JM rate

Last edited by wcord; 07-31-2011 at 10:24 PM.
wcord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #4

Back when I was Resi super green I was making 10$ an hour in Washington. I would say you should be more around 15$. I wanna say the Resi JW's here make somewhere around 25$ an hour open shop.
al13nw4r3LC76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by al13nw4r3LC76 View Post
Back when I was Resi super green I was making 10$ an hour in Washington. I would say you should be more around 15$. I wanna say the Resi JW's here make somewhere around 25$ an hour open shop.
Yea $15 sounds about right. My instructor at school said we should be insulted if offered anything less than $13. But this is my first job as an apprentice.

Where are you in Washington?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #6

absolute green helper HERE, usually make min.wage, until he shows that he will work. but if you can do what a j-man can do (mentally, not just physically) i would bump you to his wages.usually between 14-18 hr. But keep in mind this, you must be able to do his job.. figure ckts,service size,inventory trucks, invoicing back to office,keep YOUR help reliable and productive,all this is on more than one job. my lead guys have multiple jobs going at any time that i expect them to help keep up with all these things. its very easy to say you are as good as him or you can pull wire or bend pipe as fast as him.. but a good lead man can do all of this at once and still be productive himself, im not saying you cant do this, if you can, thats where your wages would be with me.. thx
rnr electric is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rnr electric For This Useful Post:
hooch (08-19-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Washington minimum wage = $8.67

I would think someone with 2200 hours of experience would be making more than $10/hr.

Keep your day job, but look for a new employer. Someone who will pay you what you are worth.

For what it's worth:
Here is the wage scale for a residential apprentice with your work hours in IBEW Local 48 (Oregon & SW Washington)

Pay Period OJT Hours Payrate
3 1751-2500 $18.20
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
NO high voltage here

i am a first year pay, second year apprentice.

I make 15.59, and when I work under the national VDV, I make 16.59

Plus what ever my vacation pay is
mikeh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr electric View Post
absolute green helper HERE, usually make min.wage, until he shows that he will work. but if you can do what a j-man can do (mentally, not just physically) i would bump you to his wages.usually between 14-18 hr. But keep in mind this, you must be able to do his job.. figure ckts,service size,inventory trucks, invoicing back to office,keep YOUR help reliable and productive,all this is on more than one job. my lead guys have multiple jobs going at any time that i expect them to help keep up with all these things. its very easy to say you are as good as him or you can pull wire or bend pipe as fast as him.. but a good lead man can do all of this at once and still be productive himself, im not saying you cant do this, if you can, thats where your wages would be with me.. thx
Reminds me why so many non-union companies can suck to work for.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
Reminds me why so many non-union companies can suck to work for.
this is true, and i agree. but we work year round, no layoffs, work for general public and dont have to wait for a shutdown. Ill be completley honest, i know too many union guys that are out of work right now to convince me otherwise
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rnr electric For This Useful Post:
hooch (08-19-2011), Hotlegs (12-20-2012), jhall.sparky (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:50 PM   #11

Quote:
I see what you mean. I'm currently finishing a two year "electrical studies" program at the tech school and it's suppose to be one of the only ones in Washington and one of the best on the west coast. The only one who does all the load calcs, wire sizing, inventory etc is the boss. Plus my Journeyman only makes 16 an hour. I think I'm just in the wrong company.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCR1988 View Post
I see what you mean. I'm currently finishing a two year "electrical studies" program at the tech school and it's suppose to be one of the only ones in Washington and one of the best on the west coast. The only one who does all the load calcs, wire sizing, inventory etc is the boss. Plus my Journeyman only makes 16 an hour. I think I'm just in the wrong company.
Elect studies is a good program, but try to familiarize (hope i spelled that right) with load calcs,wire sizing, and most important "the NEC". Although some stuff may seem irrelevant to you now in the short term, most things will eventually come up and you must be able to navigate the literature to make the right call..(even if its later on). On the subject of wages, i tell all my guys this.. " i would LOVE to pay you a hundred dollars an hour, that means you are generating 325 an hour for our company." Simply put, you should know if you are worth more, and if you feel you are, definately move on to a better company. ( dont move to fl. though.. wage scale here SUCKS)
Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #13

Quote:
this is true, and i agree. but we work year round, no layoffs, work for general public and dont have to wait for a shutdown. Ill be completley honest, i know too many union guys that are out of work right now to convince me otherwise
I've worked for companies that had "leadmen" making 16 an hour. Since their pay sucked so bad all they had to flaunt was their poorly equipped van and title.

What tickles me the most is that they often claim working for them is a "great learning experience". Which means you get all the responsibility without the pay.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
I saw a guy do it once.

Quote:
If you like taking advantage of guys because they can't get work, more power to you. You know what happens when you pay your guys in peanuts? As soon as something better come by, POOF! they're gone. Treat your guys like dirt and you wont have loyal people, and they shouldnt be! 14-18 an hour for a journeyman is a complete joke. What a "doosh"
SparkYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SparkYZ For This Useful Post:
aDudeInPhx (12-13-2012), HARRY304E (07-31-2011), T-Bart (08-28-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 11:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
I've worked for companies that had "leadmen" making 16 an hour. Since their pay sucked so bad all they had to flaunt was their poorly equipped van and title.

What tickles me the most is that they often claim working for them is a "great learning experience". Which means you get all the responsibility without the pay.
once again i agree.. However i would add this. they should be employed year around, with a steady paycheck,and no matter how their title is applied they are not at the unemployment line (mostly, i would hope). what i mean is this. Union guys make great money, and have great benifits, but small shop guys stay busy year round.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Elect studies is a good program, but try to familiarize (hope i spelled that right) with load calcs,wire sizing, and most important "the NEC". Although some stuff may seem irrelevant to you now in the short term, most things will eventually come up and you must be able to navigate the literature to make the right call..(even if its later on). On the subject of wages, i tell all my guys this.. " i would LOVE to pay you a hundred dollars an hour, that means you are generating 325 an hour for our company." Simply put, you should know if you are worth more, and if you feel you are, definately move on to a better company. ( dont move to fl. though.. wage scale here SUCKS)
We get a lot on the NEC and all that. They don't call it the Electricians Program anymore because someone complained that we we're really electricians - only students. But yea, he apparently bids ridiculously low on all the projects, so thats one reason why he doesn't pay us much. I'm thinking about going on my own once I get enough hours.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkYZ View Post
If you like taking advantage of guys because they can't get work, more power to you. You know what happens when you pay your guys in peanuts? As soon as something better come by, POOF! they're gone. Treat your guys like dirt and you wont have loyal people, and they shouldnt be! 14-18 an hour for a journeyman is a complete joke. What a "doosh"
I am sure if i was in L.A i wouldnt do this.. however im not. im in fla. and i pay the average wage for my geographical area. would you propose i pay alot MORE and lose money due to competitors.. all you did here was validate your lack of experience,and totally closed mind,whos the doosh
Old 07-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCR1988 View Post
We get a lot on the NEC and all that. They don't call it the Electricians Program anymore because someone complained that we we're really electricians - only students. But yea, he apparently bids ridiculously low on all the projects, so thats one reason why he doesn't pay us much. I'm thinking about going on my own once I get enough hours.
If he bids low he has gotta make it up somewhere.. LABOR,MATERIAL,or PROFIT. (not including overhead). and he is probably getting it back in labor, I dont know what your area pays but i would suggest this. start putting out resumes everywhere and see what offers come to the table. if he is short changing you, you will know it very quickly. if a reputable company offers to start you at what you are making now, with an offer to move you up in a specified time. assuming you can do what you tell them. I would move on
Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkYZ View Post
also after re-reading this i would like to add this. i have 3 lead men that have been with me for more than 6 yrs now. furthermore, ALL 3 of my leadmen have been with me from the beginning,some actually started as green helpers.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #20
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
$14 for a j-man really? you must be proud.

the minimum wage here is $8 and i would not even think of asking a green helper to work for less than $20.

Really in your case there is no reason whatsoever to become an Electrician so you can make $29,000 per year ...

You could make more collecting cans off the streets 20 hours a week

aDudeInPhx (12-14-2012)