CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Old 03-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Default conduit under exsisting sidewalk

Hi, Ive been a maintenace electrician for 15 years and two years ago I got my contractors license and insurance and started doing small jobs part time. it has been a good challenge and every once in a while I run across something I am not quite sure of. In this case it is the best way of getting a piece conduit under a slab a sidewalk without messing with the integrity of the slab. (with out it cracking when I am done) I know you can use water and jet it out but that seems like it could remove to much of the base.

any other suggestions.

Joe

myenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,604

What about a hole dug on each side and then auger it?

RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,062

I've sledgehammered up to an entire 10' piece under sidewalks and drives. Keep a level on it. If you have a backhoe on the site, you can push several pieces under sidewalks and drives.

How big of an area do you need to cross?
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have seen a guy do some trick with a conduit and a water hose and sorta bore under a sidewalk.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

i heard somthing about digging a trench on both sides until you hit under the slab or 18". then cut the pvc at a 45 degree angle then hammer the other end periodicaloy clean that pvc of dirt and repeat untill you passed the sidewalk
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Boring under a sidewalk at the 18" level will probably not effect it's integrity. Landscape guys do it all the time and they are never that deep. In the landscape section of a big box store you can get a set of 3/4 hose thread pieces made for this. (one male, one female) to the male end you screw on a jet fitting like the ones used for sweeping. The only time I would hesitate to bore under paving is when it is subject to vehicle traffic.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I've sledgehammered up to an entire 10' piece under sidewalks and drives. Keep a level on it. If you have a backhoe on the site, you can push several pieces under sidewalks and drives.

How big of an area do you need to cross?
This is what I was goign to suggest. My way of doing it is on the threaded end: cut it at a 45 degree, the other end with the coupling [which you leave on] is the part that you hit with the sledge. Once your threw, cut the sharp edge off till you dont see dirt in the conduit and replace the coupling on the other side and you are ready to go. I prefer to run a fish threw the pipe before connecting it up to make sure its free of obsticles.

~Matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

thanks guys, all these Ideas sound good. I will just try the one thats makes the most sense for me.
myenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
Apprentice

Rewards Points: 150

When I worked for a landscaping company that did sprinkler systems we'd dig a hole on either side and then drive a piece of pipe beneath the slab.
AWKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
Les Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
I have seen a guy do some trick with a conduit and a water hose and sorta bore under a sidewalk.
A Piece of EMT and a pressure washer work well too. Just have to let it drain and be sure to stop up the end that you put the PW into.
Voltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have this one, it works ok but is a pain to setup. I have used it to go under a 20' walkway

I have been eyeballing this one though, it looks good for small jobs

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Pr...ctCode=SS-5740
user438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich R View Post
I have this one, it works ok but is a pain to setup. I have used it to go under a 20' walkway

That is a pretty neat tool.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:22 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
That is a pretty neat tool.

Yeah that one works great, the only problem is the setup, in the demo video the guy is only going down like 3 inches. The problem is when you have to go 18 inches you have to dig a trench about 5' long 20 inches deep and 2 feet wide or your dril will end up getting all full of mud etc. Which is no problem for a bigger job where it is worth it opposed to paying a sub to bore etc..

I was looking at this one for simple 4 foot wide walkways but have never tried it personally. Seems like it would work better than the old school beat a pipe under walkway which gets full of dirt and spend 2 hours messing with it.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SS-5740
Old 03-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 2,570
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

well, actually the 'old school' way of beating a pipe under the walk involves crimping the end 1st, and after beating it through, cutting the end off. the method where you spend hours cleaning dirt out of the end of a pipe must be some youngster's method.

that borit looks interesting, but kinda gay like a diy tool. why not just rent a mole ? http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipm...y.aspx?id=s438
Fatal error: Using $this sht!ck when not in object context in /home/electric/public_html/includes/functions_newpost.php(1471) : eval()'d code on line 1 will turn your hair gray or give you veracities or maybe something even worse !

Last edited by wildleg; 03-30-2010 at 09:00 AM.
wildleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

I use something called a Borzit tool.. http://www.borzit.com/

I was not convinced until I actually tried it. It is amazing. I drill under sidewalks and one time drilled about 20 feet across under a blacktopped driveway. The only thing that would keep you from using this tool is if you hit solid rock. In that case you would have to move to a different location and try again. For the price, you can't beat it!

Wildleg.... you should be a little more open minded about tools that really make our jobs easier....

Last edited by VersaJoe; 03-30-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Typo
VersaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,000

http://bulletmole.com/video.html
Old 03-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
Fried Bologna um um good!

I did one last month, dug a hole on each side, used a sharp shooter to grt under it and drove the pipe thru the last 18 or so inches. The boring company forgot to get me to the other side so I had to do it that way
Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
well, actually the 'old school' way of beating a pipe under the walk involves crimping the end 1st, and after beating it through, cutting the end off. the method where you spend hours cleaning dirt out of the end of a pipe must be some youngster's method.

that borit looks interesting, but kinda gay like a diy tool. why not just rent a mole ? http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipm...y.aspx?id=s438

That is an interesting method, what do you use to crimp the end of Rigid conduit ? ( I'm assuming you mean Rigid, since EMT is not allowed underground and PVC would break) I want to try this on my next job. I have used a threaded coupling with a threaded seal but seems to make it too blunt to get through easily
Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #19
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 2,570
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

you can use emt if you are running direct burial wire (not as a raceway). you can also use it to make the hole and run a smaller size pipe in it. if it was 1" or smaller, though, I suppose you could smash the end of the rigid with a sledge. (above 1 1/2" I dont think smashing it would be pretty,, but I gotta admit I've never really tried it)
Fatal error: Using $this sht!ck when not in object context in /home/electric/public_html/includes/functions_newpost.php(1471) : eval()'d code on line 1 will turn your hair gray or give you veracities or maybe something even worse !
wildleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
you can use emt if you are running direct burial wire (not as a raceway). you can also use it to make the hole and run a smaller size pipe in it. if it was 1" or smaller, though, I suppose you could smash the end of the rigid with a sledge. (above 1 1/2" I dont think smashing it would be pretty,, but I gotta admit I've never really tried it)
Yeah that's a good trick, don't know why I never thought of that. Use a 1" emt with smashed end, cut off and run a 1/2" pvc through it. Going to experiment my next walkwayway job