CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Old 04-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default Generac - Interesting.

Just got this today, and I thought I'd share:

MD, my name is Bob Cramer and I work for Generac Power Systems as a technical advisor and trainer for our residential and commercial program.

I have received a few emails and calls regarding some negative reaction you have posted regarding our product and wanted to reach out to you to see if there any questions you may have that I can answer. I have not had the time to look through all the post to find specific items of concern so I wanted to start fresh with an email to you and see if there is anything I can answer for you. I would also be willing to send you any data or documentation that you may need to help with the topics you are responding to which may help answer some of the questions out there.

To give you a little background on me I am also and electrician, I started in the trades in 1986 serving an apprenticeship and went on to obtain my Masters license and Inspectors endorsement for Wisconsin.

I look forward to hearing from you

Bob Cramer
Generac Power Systems

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Town Drunk

Well, let him know your beefs with that product, and maybe changes will be made..... or maybe not.

It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
Well, let him know your beefs with that product, and maybe changes will be made..... or maybe not.
They might make good generators, but I just haven't run across any yet that fit my idea of what a good generator is. If cheap is good, then yeah, maybe they're good.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Pontificator

Rewards Points: 250

Seems like a good opportunity to get some info and give some advice.

Maybe he could hook you up with some lower cost "trials" to see if you like them
Stub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Pure Evil

You could power your Gazebo.

drsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Just got this today, and I thought I'd share:

MD, my name is Bob Cramer and I work for Generac Power Systems as a technical advisor and trainer for our residential and commercial program.

I have received a few emails and calls regarding some negative reaction you have posted regarding our product and wanted to reach out to you to see if there any questions you may have that I can answer. I have not had the time to look through all the post to find specific items of concern so I wanted to start fresh with an email to you and see if there is anything I can answer for you. I would also be willing to send you any data or documentation that you may need to help with the topics you are responding to which may help answer some of the questions out there.

To give you a little background on me I am also and electrician, I started in the trades in 1986 serving an apprenticeship and went on to obtain my Masters license and Inspectors endorsement for Wisconsin.

I look forward to hearing from you

Bob Cramer
Generac Power Systems
I think it is great someone from the company has responded to some of the issues that were brought out into the open in a previous thread

Now if Bob Cramer would take the time to read the posts on this thread, it could get very interesting

Generators
Magnettica (01-12-2012)
Old 04-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
You could power your Gazebo.

No more drop cords for those bands.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 2,008

They could work on their warranty/customer support. When I call, being sent right to the consumer side of things without access to real tech support because I am not a dealer is unacceptable. You manufactured the product, now take some responsibility for it. Waiting around a month for parts in a warranty repair with no assurance that it will ever get repaired is also unacceptable. For all I know, with some support and some parts, I might be able to fix it myself and be whole lot happier.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nrp3 For This Useful Post:
jwjrw (04-28-2010)
Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

I agree that it is cool he is interested enough to seek you out,and also think that experience in the trades is good and means he might understand complaints.
s.kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
Modérateur

Where did I heard his name before .,,,,

It kinda ring the bell but not sure where.

Anyway If Bob Cramer is reading this now all I want to him to see how we feel about getting tech support and improve the way we need parts to install the generators { espcally this is true in commercal location }

And one of the days I will stop by the Generac headquarters when I get back from France.

Merci,Marc
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
John I received an email back from Marc and at the current time his only concern is who Generac Power Systems manufactures for and I answer that for him.
bcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
They might make good generators, but I just haven't run across any yet that fit my idea of what a good generator is. If cheap is good, then yeah, maybe they're good.
If you define ‘cheap generators’ as ‘affordable and great value’, then I’d agree that cheap=good. The fact is Generac generators have more and better features, at a lower price, than other brands. The alleged high quality Kohlers are overpriced and don’t come with all the features that Generac generators come with like Quiet-Test weekly self tests, high performance US-made OHVI engines, full electronic LCD displays on the control panel, etc. And the Generac generators come with pre-wired transfer switches to make the installation a heck of a lot easier than Kohlers and Briggs units. There’s a reason why Generac has 70% market share and the vast majority of other electrical companies use Generac for their private label generators – companies like Eaton, Siemens and Carrier – it’s high quality product at the most affordable price in the market.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stub View Post
Seems like a good opportunity to get some info and give some advice.

Maybe he could hook you up with some lower cost "trials" to see if you like them
We would be happy to work something out.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
They could work on their warranty/customer support. When I call, being sent right to the consumer side of things without access to real tech support because I am not a dealer is unacceptable. You manufactured the product, now take some responsibility for it. Waiting around a month for parts in a warranty repair with no assurance that it will ever get repaired is also unacceptable. For all I know, with some support and some parts, I might be able to fix it myself and be whole lot happier.
I agree that we have some work to do and our Customer First team is addressing some of this. We have programs in place and we continue to improve them for all of our customers not just our dealers. Anyone calling 888-Generac with technical questions that is an installing contractor/engineer (not one of our dealers) is sent over to the technical support group. Our focus is to have the "person" working on the generator properly trained to do so.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
Fried Bologna um um good!

The bigger diesel models say 19kw and up are great. I've had no call backs on the two I installed. I would install another one with no concern.
I'm quoting a job now where the HO bought one from Costco I think its a Guardian but its a residential model and the quality does seem lesser to me.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Where did I heard his name before .,,,,

It kinda ring the bell but not sure where.

Anyway If Bob Cramer is reading this now all I want to him to see how we feel about getting tech support and improve the way we need parts to install the generators { espcally this is true in commercal location }

And one of the days I will stop by the Generac headquarters when I get back from France.

Merci,Marc
You are invited to stop by and visit us anytime, with proper notice of course. We try to give our installing contractor’s tours if they are ever passing through or attending advanced training classes.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
The bigger diesel models say 19kw and up are great. I've had no call backs on the two I installed. I would install another one with no concern.
I'm quoting a job now where the HO bought one from Costco I think its a Guardian but its a residential model and the quality does seem lesser to me.
JW, our current diesel lineup does not include a 19kW model, the product offering for diesel ranges 10kW to 600kW which you can see at www.generac.com under the industrial tab. The Costco unit is a NG/LP generator and is by no means anything like a diesel unit. The Costco unit uses an air-cooled engine and the diesel unit is a liquid cooled unit and the controls on the 2 differ greatly. The cost between the 2 is also different and it wouldn’t be fair to compare the two head to head because they are so many differences. You can also look at the specs under the residential tab for the Costco unit so you can see what you will be installing. Good luck on the quote.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #18
Jesus Scott

Is this the Same Generac that call me constantly? I finally returned a call to the woman that always called because I wanted to get more info on what they were selling and of course they never called me back.

The calls have started uninterupted again but now I just ignore them.
electricmanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #19

My experience with Genracs have been commercial installations from about 20 to 100 Kw.

I went to supervise the start up of a Brand new unit about 100 KW, the shaft running from the crank pulley under the radiator to a drive a fan was so out of line that the on site tech had to rip the front end apart to fix.

Ordered the unit with a 100 and 200 amp breakers, it showed up with one 300 amp breaker. They later shipped the correct breakers but that holds things up.

Under what I would call the 'worst idea ever' moving the brains of the ATS into the generator SUCKS!!!! For years each genertor company has used two wire start circuits simple and effective. In the past when a generator goes down for service we could rent a temporary one and tie it into the ATS and the ATS would control the temporary one while other is being repaired. Can't do that with the brains in the broken generator.

In my personal opinion I would take an old or new Onan over any Genrac unit.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Badger For This Useful Post:
Ani Natekar (08-09-2010), eric7379 (08-31-2011)
Old 04-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 2,008

Thanks for taking the time to respond to some of our concerns. Maybe the company has changed the phone support recently, but thats not what I experienced looking for help last month. Maybe it was a bad combination of circumstances, I don't know. In your defense, the higher dollar Cummins that I installed last summer failed where a much less expensive 17kw Generac seems to be fine. I have both on a yearly contract with the same dealer. My problem is with a couple of portables (GP 7000E) and that has dampened any desire to buy any more of your products if this how problems will be solved. I have at least two standby units to install in the coming months. What brand I choose, depends on how this is resolved. My portables have yet to be fixed and I am on my second repair shop and its been over a month. This amounts to $4000 I can't bill for. I'd like my money and I'd like to take care of my customers. I tire of complaining, just help solve problems quicker in the future.

nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote