leviton gfci,s - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Like Tree9Likes

Old 12-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 290
Default leviton gfci,s

does any one else have problems with the TR WR gfci? i have replaced at least 5 of them this year becuase they just quit working. mostly barely used ones.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2016, 11:37 PM   #2
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 1,366

Yup! I avoid Leviton and mainly stock Legrand.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #3
corn-fused

i mainly went with leviton because of the slimmer body. works better in old boxes. but now i do more newer boxes
Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 2,764

After today, leviton can bite my ass as I had to make that long drive to replace that stupid gfi outlet in the new bathroom I did for a medical outfit when I remodeled all their offices. One or two once in a long while would be ok, but nope, If you put in 50-100 gfi receptacles every six months like I do, you start finding out you are going to have to replace around 30 of them in less than three months if you use Leviton. Done. And F*** home depot for carrying them.

I'm going to Lowes from now on and get something else.
lumen and Majewski like this.
Majewski (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 1,366

Dude the legrands are same size. I put em both together, same friggin size. I stopped even keeping 1 (slim) leviton in stock after that.
papaotis likes this.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #6
corn-fused

lowes is carrying hubbel now. i didnt know they made resi stuff! anyone know how good it is?
Old 12-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #7
Senile Member

Well there is also supply houses around, but they are kind of hard to get to the front of the line at . Even for will call.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:27 AM   #8
corn-fused

where im at there are 4 supply houses and three big box stores within 15 minutes of each other. i see the big company trucks at all of them!
Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #9
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
where im at there are 4 supply houses and three big box stores within 15 minutes of each other. i see the big company trucks at all of them!
I live in a pretty posh neighborhood. There isn't even a 7-11 or any grocery stores for 3 miles from here. There is a surf shop and a Thai restaurant pretty close by however , but that's it. Nearest electrical house is a freeway drive of hell during rush hours.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:26 AM   #10
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 736

I'll have to compare the size of the two brands when I get a chance. I like the size of the Leviton, but have have better luck with the PS. I hope Lowes here doesn't drop PS because I love the plates and would prefer to stick with PS. Lowes is close to the house too. Last I checked, Hubbell was ok. Doing a remodel in all Leviton, and the flexible plates are better, but still prefer the satin flexible PS.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 180

We can only quickly get leviton or hubbell here, and my old man has some kind of hatred for P&S, so those are pretty much our only choices. We can get the hubbell tr/wr gfis for less than the leviton tr's, so I have been getting more of those out of convenience. Guess that is a good decision.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
We can only quickly get leviton or hubbell here, and my old man has some kind of hatred for P&S, so those are pretty much our only choices. We can get the hubbell tr/wr gfis for less than the leviton tr's, so I have been getting more of those out of convenience. Guess that is a good decision.

Eaton GFCI's give me way less problems and are less expensive than Leviton. Eaton is who owns Cutler-Hammer and they are a huge player in the electrical industry. I install Cutler-Hammer panels on the daily and in my opinion they are the best in reliability. Although I do love the ground / neutral bar setup on the Square D panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drsparky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I live in a pretty posh neighborhood. There isn't even a 7-11 or any grocery stores for 3 miles from here. There is a surf shop and a Thai restaurant pretty close by however , but that's it. Nearest electrical house is a freeway drive of hell during rush hours.
What about the Crossfit and Post Office?
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #14
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 306

I like Hubbell plates the best, with those rounded corners.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 162

leviton is junk, i only buy cooper when i can get them!
Majewski likes this.
circuitman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #16
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
What about the Crossfit and Post Office?
No post office in that mall. There is a blue mailbox out front of Thai Valley restaurant though. That place is mostly deserted all the time. One auto mechanic down on the left end also. He's crooked, don't take your car to him.
HackWork likes this.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:25 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 152

I'm having trouble with a Leviton TR GFCI as well. The person who has it says it is basically new, but said when they wired it up, it didn't work in the first place.

I can't see how it could fail right new from the box, or the home owner even damaging it from wiring it wrong because that should just cause it to trip or not reset. No indicator lights come on, and it doesn't reset either. The meter shows it has 120v on the terminal wire.

When I get more time I'm going to bring a Cooper one over to try it. Usually I use Cooper any way.

Usually I use Cooper, so maybe I'll bring that over.
746 Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:40 AM   #18
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 16,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by 746 Watts View Post
I'm having trouble with a Leviton TR GFCI as well. The person who has it says it is basically new, but said when they wired it up, it didn't work in the first place.

I can't see how it could fail right new from the box, or the home owner even damaging it from wiring it wrong because that should just cause it to trip or not reset. No indicator lights come on, and it doesn't reset either. The meter shows it has 120v on the terminal wire.

When I get more time I'm going to bring a Cooper one over to try it. Usually I use Cooper any way.

Usually I use Cooper, so maybe I'll bring that over.
Always had good luck with Hubble.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 180

Had to replace a 1 year old leviton wr that failed yesterday. Replaced it with a Hubbell.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:49 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,152

It seems like Leviton sold their soul to get into the big box stores. I am guessing the big boxes beat them to death on pricing, and they cut corners to stay in Lowes and HD. It's too bad, I was a big Leviton fan for 20 years, but lately, it's P&S and Hubbell. I can't afford to **** around with quality, who can?