Electrician Talk banner

Metering a sub panel

15K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jimmy21 
#1 ·
This is on my personal house. I have a room behind my garage that i rent out. Currently i rent it out for a flat monthly fee, but i would the guy in there now is taking advantage of the "free" electricity. So id like to set put a meter on the sub panel and just bill out accordingly. More fair to all parties involved. I started looking up meters and everything i find is a lot more expensive and high tech than i need, with lcd displays that read out different figures and what not. I just need something cheap and simple. Any suggestions?

#5 ·
genius. I found a wealth of knowledge when looking up rv stuff. I found a kit that looks similar to the power company meteres but much smaller. Mini can, mini meter, etc.... The whole kit is under 40 bucks

I was hoping to find something that is real low key though, something that mounts next to the panel in my house and is more low profile and i don't have to get creative with mounting

#9 ·
First thing is to either check your local poco rule book to see if sub metering for dwellings is even allowed, or you could just call somebody there and ask as well.

Second , if it is ok, then I suggest you purchase The Electrical Detective and then download one of the free apps at Itunes that works with it.

#13 ·
Here you are not allowed to sub meter and bill per KWH. What marinas do is to bill everyone there % of use of the overall bill w/out any markup.

I believe you are good to go if you don't make any money on the tenants usage of electricity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.