Spray foam in outlet boxes - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Spray foam in outlet boxes

I'm working on a remodel house and the owner has hired an energy super saver company. Before I get there to replace receps and switches they have spray foamed all the outlet boxes full. Would that be in the n.e.c? Box fill? Is it dangerous? Something about it has me spooked.
daylen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,415

I would make them come back and clean it out
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
3xdad (03-23-2012), CDN EC (03-22-2012), frenchelectrican (03-23-2012), JohnR (03-22-2012), OKelectric (03-25-2012), wildleg (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 3,030
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

something about it ?

how about - everything about it !

violation !
Fatal error: Using $this sht!ck when not in object context in /home/electric/public_html/includes/functions_newpost.php(1471) : eval()'d code on line 1 will DO ELECTRICAL SHOES ! FrunkSlammer has just sent you -2676 points to use in the rewards store!
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I was told that we should down rate our romex because the heat can't escape. So 12 is really a 14. Has anyone else heard this?
Theriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
I would make them come back and clean it out
+1

Mark
wesleydnunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriot View Post
I was told that we should down rate our romex because the heat can't escape. So 12 is really a 14. Has anyone else heard this?
No.Not I.
bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriot View Post
"Romex®" is already downrated (90º wire required to be installed at no more than 60º) , so further derating is not necessary.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylen22 View Post
I'm working on a remodel house and the owner has hired an energy super saver company. Before I get there to replace receps and switches they have spray foamed all the outlet boxes full. Would that be in the n.e.c? Box fill? Is it dangerous? Something about it has me spooked.
The boxes should not be filled with foam and they should have to pay to clean them out.

Welcome to the forum....
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

110.12B prohibits foreign objects from inside a j-b
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Never fear, Slick is here

Rewards Points: 94

And that spray foam is probably flammable too...

I also say make that energy company come clean it out..and report them to whatever agencies will get them shut down for creating a major hazard.

The proper thing to use is the foam gaskets that fit between the device and the cover plate.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #11

In Canada, it says:

Section 2 (general rules)
2-122, 2

Thermal insulation material shall not be sprayed or otherwise introduced into the interior of outlet boxes, junction boxes, or enclosures for other electrical equipment.
kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kaboler For This Useful Post:
kawimudslinger (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylen22 View Post
I have ran into couple of them do that even some homeowner done the same thing as well they will spray the foam inside the box by time something don't work they have to call me in and find the junction box is really stuffed with expaning foam that can be pain in arse to get it out.

With the junction box filled with expanding foam or other type of foam it will make it very differcult to do the troubleshooting.

As soon I did see couple of them stuffed and told the owner of that place whomever did spray it will cost the time and money ( the owner told me that was one company did that ) so told that company they have two choice either they come back and remove all the foam from all the junction boxes they spray in or I will backcharge them so they choose the latter so end up send them pretty good size bill to them.

Merci,
Marc
3xdad (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 3,902

If the $5 an hour felon work force hired to apply the sprayfoam comes out to remove the foam from the boxes, most likely the wire in the boxes will be removed as well during the process.

I often wonder where the other trades get the people they hire and send to jobs. Somehow the zoo figures into this.