CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Old 06-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #1

Default Toaster in the Tub Myth (Just For Fun)

So I was watching myth busters and I saw their episode where they apparently 'proved' that dropping an electrical appliance into a bathtub would kill the bather. I don't know if I buy this. What do you all think? what sort of appliance would be most lethal? How long would one undergo shock before loss of conciousness or before death? How would a persons weight and body fat effect their resistance in a bath tub? there are just so many variables. What if the tub has a metal drain? and what about the size of the tub? what is the most lethal scenario ?

socket_dude337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socket_dude337 View Post
So I was watching myth busters and I saw their episode where they apparently 'proved' that dropping an electrical appliance into a bathtub would kill the bather. I don't know if I buy this. What do you all think? what sort of appliance would be most lethal? How long would one undergo shock before loss of conciousness or before death? How would a persons weight and body fat effect their resistance in a bath tub? there are just so many variables. What if the tub has a metal drain? and what about the size of the tub? what is the most lethal scenario ?
.006 amps can be a lethal current to a human being. That is enough to start fibrillation of the heart muscle.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Donuts > Fried Eggs

I'm sort of at a loss why this is even considered a myth.

Electricity and water regularly causes electrocutions. People have actually committed suicide by dropping electrical appliances in bathtubs.

I think a better question is: Why do you think dropping a 120 volt appliance into a tub full of water wouldn't be lethal?

-John
Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #4

Quote:
what sort of appliance would be most lethal? How long would one undergo shock before loss of conciousness or before death? How would a persons weight and body fat effect their resistance in a bath tub? What if the tub has a metal drain? and what about the size of the tub? what is the most lethal scenario ?
You and the wife not getting along so well these days?
BIGRED (06-20-2011), ce2two (06-19-2011), denny3992 (06-30-2013), HARRY304E (06-19-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
You and the wife not getting along so well these days?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Quote:
what is the most lethal scenario ?[/
Dropping a toaster in a bathtub while you are taking a bath.

I think that you would be better prepairing your breakfast in the kitchen..

Last edited by HARRY304E; 06-19-2011 at 04:19 PM.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Coaster Sparky

Not quite a toaster, but if it's in a movie it's got to be true. Right?

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
HARRY304E (06-19-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
I own stock in FotoMat!

Here's the real deal:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Josue (06-19-2011), mattsilkwood (06-20-2011), millelec (06-30-2013), sstlouis03 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #9

The appliance in the water didn't trip the GFCI because there wasn't a ground fault.

If the guy would have touched the water and the faucet, I bet it would have tripped.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
I void warranties

Having investigated many cases of people receiving shocks in tubs and showers I don't doubt that under the right conditions you could receive a fatal shock.

Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Yeah Toast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
The appliance in the water didn't trip the GFCI because there wasn't a ground fault.

If the guy would have touched the water and the faucet, I bet it would have tripped.
That guy is actually Ken, 480!!!

Busted!!!!
Roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
Having investigated many cases of people receiving shocks in tubs and showers I don't doubt that under the right conditions you could receive a fatal shock.
what conditions specifically?
socket_dude337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #13

Very unlikely that basin was even grounded.Probably hooked to the drain line with plastic pipe.Otherwise the g.f.i. would have to shut off.Just like if you stand in a plastic bucket filled with water on a wooden floor and you touch a live wire you still would not be shocked.
crosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
Coaster Sparky

Quote:

In high school our teacher taped the trigger to a Milwaukee 1/2" drill, plugged it in and dropped it into a 5 gallon bucket of water. That thing sat there churning the water, he reached down into it and grabbed the drill, pulled it out and nothing happened.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenboy View Post
In high school our teacher taped the trigger to a Milwaukee 1/2" drill, plugged it in and dropped it into a 5 gallon bucket of water. That thing sat there churning the water, he reached down into it and grabbed the drill, pulled it out and nothing happened.

Still no path to ground.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
Coaster Sparky

Quote:
Still no path to ground.
Yes, I just thought of that.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenboy View Post
Still no path to ground.
Yeah, but unless that dude was standing on an insulated mat, that's an idiotic way to demonstrate it.

-John
Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
Coaster Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Yeah, but unless that dude was standing on an insulated mat, that's an idiotic way to demonstrate it.

-John
Nahhhh. Of course not. That was to high tech for high school.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
I void warranties

Quote:
what conditions specifically?
Depends on the person, what's in the water, the water pipe, the drain pipe, how the appliance does or doesn't contact them..... I've seen very sizable current flows to ground through old metal waste lines for one.

Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #20

I don't see that the a appliance dropped in a tub with you in it guarantees any type of shock or death. Could it happen sure. Will it? Depends on what happens. The neutral should be the best path for the electricity to take. Should trip the breaker. If it's not the best path could be the piping. If you aren't touching metallic piping and the appliance you might not be the path. Electricity probably would take multiple paths. Water can be a poor conductor. You might be insulated in a plastic tub of water.

nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote