Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Residential Electrical Forum

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #1

Default Warm Circuit Breaker

I have a space heater that runs of 1,500 watts, 120 volts, 12.5 amps.

I have had it running for approximately 30 hours straight. The circuit configuration for this heater is Leviton 20 amp outlet, 12/2 Romex and a 20 amp C-H Circuit Breaker all recently installed (new).

I just checked the circuit breaker on which the space heater is running and the circuit breaker feels warm to the touch, not hot, not cold, but warm. There is nothing else is running on this circuit. The other circuit breakers feels cold. Additionally, the 12/2 romex wires also feel warm and the wires not under heavy load use feel cold.

The thing is I noticed is the 12/2 wires to be warm about 20 minutes after running the space heater and after checking the wires after the space heater has been on for 30 hours straight they are still warm.

I have read that this is normal and nothing to be worried about, due to the high current flow the space heater is drawing. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by ElectricMan2; 12-13-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Fried Bologna um um good!

Yes. When a conductor or circuit has a load on it heat is produced. Some wires can get too hot to touch and be functioning properly.

ElectricMan2 (12-13-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #3

You might check the temperature of the conductors at your terminations. If the temperature is constant from one end of the run to the other then I would say is pretty normal. If it heats up at the terminations you might want to check them.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird66 View Post
You might check the temperature of the conductors at your terminations. If the temperature is constant from one end of the run to the other then I would say is pretty normal. If it heats up at the terminations you might want to check them.

To cheeck the temperature of the terminations, use the same method as above. Check under load while energized. USe bare feet to you don't get shocked.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcclary's electrical For This Useful Post:
randas (12-13-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #5

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Admin & Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (12-13-2010)
Closed Thread