Electrician Talk banner

Aspiring electrician who wants to join IBEW, but cant afford apprenticeship.

40K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Southeast Power 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am currently employed by a major telecom carrier and have been for almost 10 years now. I work mostly on data center wiring, network installations. I work a long side a lot of IBEW electricians, since my company uses them to run wire sometimes. I have been trying to get into the IBEW Local # 3 in NYC for a few years now. I applied for apprenticeship and made it through the application, test and interview processes. The only problem is that there has been a pay cut for apprentices and I am unable to support myself at that salary. I would be making 1/3 of my current salary. A few years ago at the original 1st year rate was doable, but now things in my life have changed and I have more responsibilities. I am taking care of my mom and paying a mortgage. This made it impossible to take that kind of a pay cut.

I have a lot of friends in IBEW and I really am impressed at the way they are trained and treated by the union. The salary is very good and job security as well, especially in NYC where most large jobs are bid on by IBEW contractors. Also I am ready for a change.

The reason why I am posting here is because I am hoping maybe someone can give me direction on how to join the IBEW other than the normal apprenticeship route? I would love to go through it from start to finish and gain the knowledge and respect, but just cant afford it. I know this is a long shot, but I am willing to go to school at night for a few years if it would increase my scale. Or possibly use my current experience of 10 years in telecom to start me higher. I am currently in CWA and would love to continue my career in telecommunications with IBEW. I have written to IBEW.org and they instructed me to contact the local. I wrote the local a letter with my resume and am waiting to hear back. I hope I dont sound like I am trying to beat the system, because I am not. Would just like to know if there are any other options for a 30 year old to get into the union who cant afford it at the apprenticeship rate.

Thank you for your time and attention and I greatly apologize for the long post.

See less See more
#7 ·
They do not have a VDV division. Seems like most locals do, but this one does not. All the Telecom workers I worked with where in "A" construction. They pretty much do the exact same work I do. Install racks, run structured cabling, rack equipment. They even have similar certifications as me(cisco, nortel, etc). I would love to learn the trade from both angles, wireman and telecom. My strong point is definitely telecom, but I have done basic electrical work with no problem, including renovating my house.

I appreciate all the responses so far, and I guess the best thing would be to get in touch with someone at the hall and try to meet with them. Im just not sure who I should really speak too. Which department.

As far as Local 26 pay scale, you start much higher in 1st year. in NYC its $11 an hour and $2 raises per year for 4 years. Then you have MIJ and "A" J in your 6th. So you guys do have it pretty good. Although we top out a little higher after 6 years, your 1st year is much better and would def work for me.

It's pretty upsetting, because I REALLY want to join and am willing to do whatever I have to as far as schooling and putting my time in. I want to learn and I hate it that the starting salary is stopping me. It's all very upsetting to me :(

#5 ·
#8 ·
I would thin NYC apprenticeship would pay pretty good. Whats percentage of JW scale is the first year? If you were accepted, I would not turn it down, you might not get another chance.

There are no shortcuts. many people come on this board looking for one. Not saying you are.

Sometimes it's just not in the cards but if you are really pasionate about doing it, I have two options.

1) Check neighboring locals like25, 363, they may pay more.

2) Find a part time job. I know several older apprentices who have done that.

Good luck

#9 ·
Our local is decent to apprentices, you sign up and can go to work that day (as a "R" worker). many locals send the aspiring apprentice home to sit on his tushie or continue delivering Pizzas, something I never understood. Especially after they have been accepted into the program.

#10 ·
That is not the problem at this moment. There is work for apprentices.

Daddymack, thanks for the advice. I have begun to look into other locals. Looks like 25 has a higher starting salary and a VDV apprenticeship as well. I have to contact them and make sure I dont have to live in the Nassau Suffolk area to apply.

You have all been very helpful with your advice. I appreciate that. Definitely keep it coming. I am very determined to make this happen for me. Now or in the future.

#11 ·
Telecomm,
Local 3 is very hard to get into, especially since you have no real electrical background. Though we do have a significant communications division.
Your best bet to assure yourself a position in the union is to try to organize your shop. Bring the entire force in at once. If you take a vote, and a majority of your fellow employees decide to join, your employer is obligated to enter into signatory contract with Local 3.
Just call 718 591-4000, and tell the operator that you're interested in organizing your shop. She will then put you in touch with the organizers, whom will promptly help you and coach you on how to organize. Do fear retaliation from your employer, they cannot by law retaliate or threaten you in anyway either. The local will definitely back you on that one.
During the organization procedures, mention to your organizers that you might be interested in become a shop Stewart as well. (The benefits and prestige are worth it), because your efforts in the organization will surely help you in that capacity.
Hope this helps. Remember, don't wait or ask for things to happen. Make them happen.

#12 ·
Porcupine63 said:
Telecomm,
Local 3 is very hard to get into, especially since you have no real electrical background. Though we do have a significant communications division.
Your best bet to assure yourself a position in the union is to try to organize your shop. Bring the entire force in at once. If you take a vote, and a majority of your fellow employees decide to join, your employer is obligated to enter into signatory contract with Local 3.
Just call 718 591-4000, and tell the operator that you're interested in organizing your shop. She will then put you in touch with the organizers, whom will promptly help you and coach you on how to organize. Do fear retaliation from your employer, they cannot by law retaliate or threaten you in anyway either. The local will definitely back you on that one.
During the organization procedures, mention to your organizers that you might be interested in become a shop Stewart as well. (The benefits and prestige are worth it), because your efforts in the organization will surely help you in that capacity.
Hope this helps. Remember, don't wait or ask for things to happen. Make them happen.
Why would he organize his shop, he's making more money non union. This is terrible advice. Did u even read his post or are you just trying to push your agenda through. He has a family to support. Stop being so selfish

#13 ·
Porcupine63 said:
Telecomm,
Yeah the unions did great for DETROIT jack wagon

#16 ·
I dunno, I guess because I made $152,000 last year and $178,000 the year before. My family is barely scraping by on this, but we manage. As for telecomm, I'm sure his (and your) annual income completely obliterate mine, but we DO have the ability to proudly say, "I am a member of IBEW" it's really neat, and the lower pay (compared to the non-union electricians), the only 10% employer 401k contribution, full medical, dental etc..., are worth it.
Woe is me........

#24 ·
icefalkon said:
Really T&M? That's an interesting thought...I'm sure you know all 15000 A Rated Journeyperson's in LU3.

I'm also sure you're convinced of your own experience in organizing and how to enter a union.

I'm also sure you, and the other unorganized electricians here...those that really ARE electricians I mean...are so well versed in IBEW Policies and those of LU3 NYC that your advice should be heard loud and clear over all else.

You speak of agenda...what agenda is this? Other than to give a person a chance, any chance for change and to get into one of the strongest IBEW Locals in the United States.

Oh wait, you've been around the block, you obviously know more about Telecom and Unionization than any of those here...so please...

Go on...spout your nonsensical bullsh*t...it's amusing, entertaining, and so completely ret@rded that you've brought smiles to a bunch of unionized electricians faces this Sunday morning!
You're sure of a lot of things, we should discuss the current state of Detroit Michigan and how the unions turned that city in to the worst city in America

#25 ·
Actually, I'm very good friends with the Training Director of Detroit Michigan and I train Instructors in Ann Arbor Michigan every year. Yes, Detroit was ravaged...not JUST by unions, that's like saying that only the icing on the cake is fattening. How about the gang warfare, how about the out and out poverty, how about the corruption of civil leaders?

Pinning the demise of a city on one faction is ridiculous.

What I DO know is that the IBEW in Detroit have, for the last 8yrs at least, been doing monumental civil work in that city. They have successfully created and maintain resources for Drug/Alcohol Counseling, Homeless and Women's Shelters, a Gang Mediation Task Force and much much more.

So tell me...what have you and your friends done to help out the horror show that Detroit had become? What have you done to increase the chances of simple survival in that city? What have you and your friends done to help anyone BUT yourselves?

Easy questions T&M...I'm waiting...

#28 ·
Hmm nothing more to say about Detroit T&M? Another one who throws sh*t at the wall hoping some will stick but when confronted with reality suddenly there's nothing to say.

#30 · (Edited)
whats the going rate for 1st year, its 12.50 right, did they just ratify another contract cause the old scale I had from dec I saw 11.50 then $2 increase every year till 5th year which I don't know what you call it now. 5th/mij was 25 I thought. so 1st=12.50,2nd=14.50,3rd=16.50,4th=18.50 is that about right. Also, do apprentices get any type of vacation time whether it be one or two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.