Hourly Rates for Licensed electricians - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 10
Default Hourly Rates for Licensed electricians

My company will be installing walk in tubs as a "turn key" operation and need an electrician to install a duplex GFCI either using an existing nearby circuit or run a new dedicated line from the panel box; any idea what the typical hourly charge would be for this operation and how many hours to allocate to a typical job.
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Fried Bologna um um good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfritzi View Post
My company will be installing walk in tubs as a "turn key" operation and need an electrician to install a duplex GFCI either using an existing nearby circuit or run a new dedicated line from the panel box; any idea what the typical hourly charge would be for this operation and how many hours to allocate to a typical job.
Every job is dofferent. We charge from $100.00 to $129.00 an hour. Typically pulling a gfi circuit would be around $300.00 in most cases. An easy one may be $200.00.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Resident

Rewards Points: 75
Default Dedicated

no way you want to use nearby circuit that said a dedicated 20 amp gfi protected by gfi breaker or gfi receptacle should be $500 + based on path distance and wall type 4 billable hours plus material
Old 10-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 10
Default Thanks JWJRW

Thanks for the info; I budgeted about $ 350 for the typical job. Your #'s are more in line and what I expected. What I find interesting in this very tough residential real estate market is that many skilled tradesman still think this is the heyday of 2005 and still expect to charge top dollar. They would rather lose a job than drop their rate and work with you. These "no job too small" guys are the worst offenders. When you force them to break down their hours and what they are actually going to do, the #'s don't hold up.

Erock, $ 500 + materials is any example of overkill on $; why would it take a good electrician 4 hours to do something that would take 2 hours, especially with attic access, basements, crawl spaces available.
The Following User Says Thank You to esfritzi For This Useful Post:
ErOcK (10-16-2010)
Old 10-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the info; I budgeted about $ 350 for the typical job. Your #'s are more in line and what I expected..

We are not cheap at $100.00 to $129.00 hr (for here)

Quote:
What I find interesting in this very tough residential real estate market is that many skilled tradesman still think this is the heyday of 2005 and still expect to charge top dollar. .

I know what I need to make per hour to run a business. We are GROWING in this "tough residential market". We have even raised our rates.....not everyone is going under. An established business with a good reputation stays busy for a reason.....They do good work and treat customers right. Companys like that do charge top dollar. They have to or they will go under.....but you as a customer have no worrys about will I get screwed!

Quote:
They would rather lose a job than drop their rate and work with you..

And why should they drop their rate to work with you? What makes you special? I do multiple jobs for Gc's and I don't drop my rate for them....I'm running a business to make money not give discounts....YOU should be able to SALE your job with the cost of what a competent electrical company charges. Here is how it works......I quote you a price. You accept or decline.....no dropping rate to work with YOU....I have plenty of work without you......

Quote:
These "no job too small" guys are the worst offenders. When you force them to break down their hours and what they are actually going to do, the #'s don't hold up..

I don't break anything down for you. I charge what I think I need to make a profit for the company......Sometimes I guess wrong and don't make a profit....sometimes things go better and I make more than I thought.
It should not matter to you what the breakdown is. I have overhead, advertising, vehicles and maintaince, employees insurance and the list goes on. I'm not making 100 or 129 an hour. I charge that to cover the MANY EXPENSES we have as a business....You received a quote if you don't like it find someone else....

Quote:
Erock, $ 500 + materials is any example of overkill on $; why would it take a good electrician 4 hours to do something that would take 2 hours, especially with attic access, basements, crawl spaces available.
4 hours does seem high to me. Some jobs may take that long thou.....
Price will depend on location as labor rates vary from area to area and state to state...
Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Jesus Scott

Quote:
Thanks for the info; I budgeted about $ 350 for the typical job. Your #'s are more in line and what I expected. What I find interesting in this very tough residential real estate market is that many skilled tradesman still think this is the heyday of 2005 and still expect to charge top dollar. They would rather lose a job than drop their rate and work with you. These "no job too small" guys are the worst offenders. When you force them to break down their hours and what they are actually going to do, the #'s don't hold up.

Kind of an assholy thing to say to a bunch of electricians.

More importantly, since you obviously have NO IDEA what is required for every installation you probably should hold back on the bull**** a bit.

Do you have a specific model tub you are installing?

Last edited by electricmanscott; 10-15-2010 at 11:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to electricmanscott For This Useful Post:
jwjrw (10-15-2010)
Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Jesus Scott

Guess who just PM'd me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfritzi
You really must be so busy that you have time to sit here on a forum and answer ?'s Why don't you drop your rate and maybe you will actually get some work and not sit on the web all day
Old 10-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post
Which thread did he say this in?

-Quote:
Originally Posted by esfritzi
You really must be so busy that you have time to sit here on a forum and answer ?'s Why don't you drop your rate and maybe you will actually get some work and not sit on the web all day.:[/quote]

And for the record I post when I'm on the job all the time....Don't tell the boss...I might get fired.

Last edited by jwjrw; 10-15-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

These walk in tubs have motors?

Typically I put Jac-tubs on their own 20A homerun, with a recpt. inside the access hatch and dead-face GFI outside it. Or if everything is sketchy, just a GFI recpt under the tub in the access.

The point being, if the bath homerun serves only that bathroom, it is okay to put your walk-in Jac-tub on the bath homerun. If it serves other bathrooms, I have my doubts if its allowed. Are you getting inspections? Or is it cash work?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post
YEP, he thinks electricians charge alot....

Ever watched a plumber gouge customers? Makes ME want to cry!

I'll bet this guy is a plumbing contractor, and believe me, they give NO breaks.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 30

Guess I won't be bidding on his jobs!!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_elex View Post
These walk in tubs have motors?

Typically I put Jac-tubs on their own 20A homerun, with a recpt. inside the access hatch and dead-face GFI outside it. Or if everything is sketchy, just a GFI recpt under the tub in the access.

Same here. Most we do the acess is already framed when we rough in. We install it in the box. Last one I did was on the other side of a garage wall so the acess hole was cut in the garage.

Quote:
The point being, if the bath homerun serves only that bathroom, it is okay to put your walk-in Jac-tub on the bath homerun.?

If it serves that bathroom it could be used. 210.11(c)(3) exception. Not what I would do but legal.

Quote:
If it serves other bathrooms, I have my doubts if its allowed. Are you getting inspections? Or is it cash work?

If you ran the gfi circuit to another bathroom for the required 20a circuit it could not be used for the tub. 210.11(c)(3)

Last edited by jwjrw; 10-15-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks for the code Ref.

Now the EC can show the plumbing d1ck where in the book his job is going to cost more.

My neighbor is a plumbing manufacturer rep. They had to take the siding off a McMansion 2 stories up, erect pump-jacks, and cut a hole in the exterior wall, just to cement a leaking port on a Jac-tub.

Now THAT's a sh1t sandwich. The fiber-glass guy was scared of heights I guess.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

I charge $50/hour cash, maybe $60 or $70 if it's a nice house.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I charge $50/hour cash, maybe $60 or $70 if it's a nice house.

Yea but your a union side jobber hack.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
Yea but your a union side jobber hack.
I'm on lunch at my union job right now. After work I have a sidejob, 12 high hats.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
Professional Nit Picker

Rewards Points: 1,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
Same here. Most we do the acess is already framed when we rough in. We install it in the box. Last one I did was on the other side of a garage wall so the acess hole was cut in the garage.

If it serves that bathroom it could be used. 210.11(c)(3) exception. Not what I would do but legal.

If you ran the gfi circuit to another bathroom for the required 20a circuit it could not be used for the tub. 210.11(c)(3)
Don't forget about 110.3(B)
Listed and labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing and labeling.

Be sure to pay attention to any literature and /or tags on the equipment !
I just red tagged a bunch of tubs in condos because the tag on the cord stated to use a dedicated circuit.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchestersparky View Post
Don't forget about 110.3(B)
Listed and labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing and labeling.

Be sure to pay attention to any literature and /or tags on the equipment !
I just red tagged a bunch of tubs in condos because the tag on the cord stated to use a dedicated circuit.

That is true. I always read the instructions before I install them. We always run a dedicated circuit anyway. Same with bath exhaust fans. Many say gfi protection is needed if installed in showers. Good point. But if it did not say it needed a dedicated circuit then in some cases it would be legal.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 552

The last one I did was 749.00 plus permit of 97.42 plus 12 percent tax on the 749.00 amount. DONT listen to the OP he is making a ton of profit on these items last quote i saw the customer paid 14,000 for one of these tubs installed. IMHO it was a hack installation also.I should of took pictures.
Closed Thread