CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Introductions

Old 01-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Metal Halide Yellow tint

hello,
Im starting out in the parking lot light business. Ive changed 4 bulbs ( mh) three were 1000w and one was 400w. My metal Halide look nothing like the ones that are in. My have a yellow tint to them. I got my bulbs at a distributor and they said they were the right ones. does anyone know as to why they look yellow and the other ones look clear with bluish tint. I want to do right by my customer and make sure all his lights match. Thank you. I appreciate any input.

Absolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,332

All lamps change color as they age.

The only way you'll get them all the same color is to replace them all.

Absolute (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #3

so they will change from yellowish to white( clear)
?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
so they will change from yellowish to white( clear)
?

It sounds like you put in a HPS in place of a metal halide
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mcclary's electrical For This Useful Post:
Absolute (01-15-2011), BuzzKill (12-30-2011), electricmanscott (01-15-2011), mattsilkwood (01-16-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #5

i thought that at first 2 but no they are metal Halide. I checked. gemvr 400 u ed28
Old 01-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
i thought that at first 2 but no they are metal Halide. I checked. gemvr 400 u ed28

There are some lighting guru's on here that know all the color levels of every manufacturer, I'm not one of them. But it sounds like just mismatch bulbs.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #7

If you type into google " parking lot light picture" there are going to be some pics of parking lot lights. In the upper right corner there are two lights side by side. Mine look like the one on the left and theirs looks like the one on the right.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #8

so every manufacturers light bulb is different even when they say they are interchangeable?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
CJE

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
so every manufacturers light bulb is different even when they say they are interchangeable?
Yes. If you replace two lamps from different manufacturers, even with the same rating, they may not match to suit you. If you want them all identical, you have to change them all. I don't do parking lots but I've done a lot of gym and pool lighting. Some folks are happy if all the lights are on, others want them all identical. Re-lamping can make sense. Besides appearance, end of life issues for metal halides can include lamp explosions from tube rupture and increased energy cost.
CJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Pure Evil

Rewards Points: 2,058

Quote:
Absolutely Absolute, Chevy red cars are different color than Ford red cars.

drsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #11

thank you guys for all your help. Did anyone hear of XMI or something like that. Thats what was in the fixture and i cant find them anywhere and my distributor never heard of them
Old 01-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
CJE

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Did anyone hear of XMI or something like that. Thats what was in the fixture and i cant find them anywhere and my distributor never heard of them
Google comes up with XM lamps. They appear to be an aquarium supplier. The link shows the specs for the 400W they offer. http://www.xmlighting.com/specs.aspx#lampspec6
CJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #13
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Absolute; Go back in a couple of weeks and look at them again.
The reason for the concern, or at least something to be aware of, has more to do with color consistency, lumen output and life. So, lets explore these issues.
Unlike incandescent and fluorescent lamps where color variations are usually imperceptible, metal halide lamps have a normal expected color variation lamp-to-lamp and over life. To the casual observer, this color difference may be judged as improper lamp operation. Though all manufacturers of Quartz Metal Halide lamps attempt to control this variation, current science of the technology makes the total elimination of color variation a physical impossibility. However, understanding and adjusting certain factors over which the user has control can achieve some additional reduction of color variation.
GE standard Multi-Vapor® lamps are multi-component lamps. The lamp contains various metals, which reside in the arc tube in gaseous form. Applying a voltage to the arc tube electrodes produces light. That voltage excites the gaseous metals to the point where they emit light — each metal emitting a different spectral color.
LAMP-TO-LAMP COLOR VARIATION
Variations in the individual pressures of each of the gasses produce minute but nevertheless noticeable variations in lamp color appearance. This electrically produced light can be additionally affected by other variables as well. Variables such as arc tube dimensional variability, temperature effects, chemical mixture tolerances, input voltage variations, ballast wattage control and a host of other contributing factors all affect a lamps appearance.
VARIATION OVER OPERATING LIFE
During the first 100 hours of lamp operation (referred to as lamp seasoning), the halides are blending together for the first time and will display even wider color variation than when they reach their stable operating point beyond 100 hours. At about the 100-hour point, the halides are sufficiently mixed so that infant variation is minimized.
However, as a population of lamps begins to age, another color shift becomes apparent. This phenomenon occurs as the chemistry changes within the arc tube as a result of sodium migration through the arc tube wall. This type of color shift is predictable in direction. The standard family of Multi-Vapor® lamps normally shifts to a warmer color (lower Kelvin temperature), while the family of lamps with an MXR prefix (Halarc® lamps), shifts to a cooler color (higher Kelvin temperature) as the lamps age. This color shift
becomes most obvious when a new lamp is installed in place of a burned out lamp that has shifted in color.
COLOR SHIFT — MEASUREMENT AND CONTROL
The appearance of the lamp’s color is described by the measurement of the Correlated Color Temperature (CCT). The normal expected color variation of a population of MVR400 lamps can be as little as 600 Kelvin (K), or as much as 1000 K. All lamps will fall within the industry-wide standard “10 step color oval.” Visually, in simple terms, a one-step color oval increment on the x, y CIE Chromaticity Diagram represents approximately 100 K. metal halide lamps are usually made in small batches that have less color variation than the wider 10-step color oval. If an installation receives lamps from a smaller batch, the color spread will often be less than if the several smaller batches are mixed.
LUMENS —
Rated average lamp lumens are obtained under controlled laboratory conditions in a prescribed burning position. Initial Reference Lumens refer to the lamp lumen output after 100-hours burning. Mean Reference Lumens refer to the lamp lumen output at the mean lumen point during lamp life. The mean lumen point occurs at 50% rated life for HPS and mercury lamps, and at 40% rated life for metal halide lamps.

Last edited by The Lightman; 01-16-2011 at 12:16 AM.
The Lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Lightman For This Useful Post:
Absolute (01-16-2011), B4T (12-30-2011), BuzzKill (12-30-2011), farlsincharge (01-16-2011), Frank Mc (01-17-2011), macmikeman (01-16-2011), mcclary's electrical (12-30-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #14

Wow, you sir are right on the money. I went back to the job last night and the yellow is gone. The only difference is that my bulbs look brighter. I want to thank everyone for their input. This site seems to be a wealth of knowledge. Thank You so much for making me a more informed contractor and allowing me to serve my customer better. I obviously dont have alot of experience in commercial electrical service but i do have rediculous amount of knowledge in Irrigation for commercial and residencial. If anyone is tasked in diagnosing irrigation wiring problems or timer problems feel free to ask and i will be more than happy to help.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Wow, you sir are right on the money. The only difference is that my bulbs look brighter.
That is called lumen depreciation. IF, you clean the lenses thoroughly, they will appear even brighter.
Attached Images
File Type: gif MH-LMRange.gif (3.2 KB, 109 views)
Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
Dr Evil

Rewards Points: 2,206

EIKO bulbs......
Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shockdoc For This Useful Post:
Absolute (01-16-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

Stick to irragation and leave electric to the electrical contractors.

Last edited by Dnkldorf; 01-16-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Dnkldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dnkldorf For This Useful Post:
mcclary's electrical (12-30-2011), william1978 (01-21-2011)
Old 01-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
EIKO bulbs......

Thats exactly what the bulb is. Thank You. Are they a good brand name? or stick with GE and Sylvania. Thank you again for your responses.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
Registered Member

It was constructive pal.

Don't send me PM's telling me to stay away from your threads.

I'm just surprised Speedy hasn't posted his DIY info to you yet.
Dnkldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
Registered Member

Stick with Sylvania.