CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default 480V photocell wiring diagram

Hello, new guy here - I'm an electrical designer at an engineering group that provides engineering and drawing packages for oil producers here in Bakersfield Ca.

I have a question: I am looking for a remote photo cell wiring diagram for a 480V single phase fixture.

The application is a single 400W HPS 480V (single phs) pole mounted light fixture on a wooden power pole. The fixture will be fed from a 15A molded case circuit breaker in a 3r enclosure at ground level on a plywood back board where power is distributed to 2 MOVs (motor operated valves). I am not controlling a contactor, and there is no available 120V control power and no neutral - just 480 delta.

I know I can install a plug-in photocell on the fixture, but I would instead like to install a remote photocell at the breaker enclosure so the electrician can defeat it from the ground to periodically check the fixture.

I suppose I could always wire in a push-button momentary switch at the breaker box that would be pre-wired to by-pass the photocell up at the fixture, but having the electrician alter the wiring of the fixture at installation doesn't appeal to me.

I am putting together a drawing package and I need a schematic. I find nothing on Intermatic's web site - everything is either 120/277 or 208V to a contactor coil. Does anybody have a diagram? A part number would be nice too!

Thanks in advance,

Greg a.k.a. "The Highlander"

Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

You could install a 2 pole 600v rated switch to by pass the remote photo eye as long as the phasing and circuit is the same.

Last edited by MasterE; 02-24-2012 at 12:23 PM.
MasterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Heavily Armed Member

Rewards Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilandr451 View Post
Hello, new guy here - I'm an electrical designer at an engineering group that provides engineering and drawing packages for oil producers here in Bakersfield Ca.

I have a question: I am looking for a remote photo cell wiring diagram for a 480V single phase fixture.

The application is a single 400W HPS 480V (single phs) pole mounted light fixture on a wooden power pole. The fixture will be fed from a 15A molded case circuit breaker in a 3r enclosure at ground level on a plywood back board where power is distributed to 2 MOVs (motor operated valves). I am not controlling a contactor, and there is no available 120V control power and no neutral - just 480 delta.

I know I can install a plug-in photocell on the fixture, but I would instead like to install a remote photocell at the breaker enclosure so the electrician can defeat it from the ground to periodically check the fixture.

I suppose I could always wire in a push-button momentary switch at the breaker box that would be pre-wired to by-pass the photocell up at the fixture, but having the electrician alter the wiring of the fixture at installation doesn't appeal to me.

I am putting together a drawing package and I need a schematic. I find nothing on Intermatic's web site - everything is either 120/277 or 208V to a contactor coil. Does anybody have a diagram? A part number would be nice too!

Thanks in advance,

On a single phase 480 volt photo control the wiring diagram is the same just that the white wire turns into Line 2 instead of a neutral.

http://www.sensorswitch.com/DataSheets/TLP.pdf

http://www.precisionmulticontrols.co...atalogue09.pdf

http://www.precisionmulticontrols.co...Photocell.html

Welcome to the forum.....

Last edited by HARRY304E; 02-24-2012 at 12:42 PM.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys I see that there is no difference between the 120/208V wiring and the 480V stuff. The photocells still only break one leg to the light. I would need to use a contactor to achieve that.

I'm going to go with a single remote photocell down at the ground level and hope nobody notices. With a lockable means of disconnect on the ground, it shouldn't be a safety concern. What I'm trying to accomplish here, with minimal cost to the client, is for the maintenance electrician to be able to test the light without having to bring a bucket truck to the site.

Thanks again!

-Greg
Hilandr451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

How about a bypass switch? That's the way to go, regardless of how you feel. Electricians are professionals! Give us the power and the responsibility man.

Last edited by kaboler; 02-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.
kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,026

You probably will have a tough time finding a stem-mount or button photocell good for 480V. You can get one of these:

(Intermatic LC4535)

and one of these:

(Intermatic K122)

Your electrician can jimmy-rig it all together, that's what we do.
IBEWRockstar (03-06-2012)
Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

He wants to take the power out of an electrician and put it in the hands of an... engineer. Scary hahahaha.
kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Heavily Armed Member

Rewards Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboler View Post
He wants to take the power out of an electrician and put it in the hands of an... engineer. Scary hahahaha.
Go back to bed..
Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,026

BBQ (03-09-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics37 View Post
You probably will have a tough time finding a stem-mount or button photocell good for 480V. You can get one of these:

(Intermatic LC4535)

and one of these:

(Intermatic K122)

Your electrician can jimmy-rig it all together, that's what we do.
Yes they do make them and no problem getting them..http://precisionmulticontrols.com/Ph...-ETseries.html
And they also have this..http://precisionmulticontrols.com/relays/relay2.html

Last edited by MasterE; 02-25-2012 at 09:12 AM.
MasterE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterE For This Useful Post:
erics37 (02-25-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 512

All I can say is that those intermatic 480v stem mount photocells are garbage, at least in my experience. I had a similar set up as you all I had was 3ph 480v with no neutral. I had the photocell controlling a contactor and the first three yes three failed within the first 5 minutes and I had to special order them each time.
freeagnt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

The Intermatic instructions are in error, and you WILL let the smoke out.

Look closer at the ratings. The eye is only rated for 277v to ground. 480 to ground will kill it. The drawings are mislabled.

You want to control 480, use a contactor with a lower voltage to the coil.
Amish Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilandr451 View Post

Thanks in advance,

Why not just use a disconnect with a contactor, and a manual test switch? And, of course, a control transformer.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Electrician View Post
The Intermatic instructions are in error, and you WILL let the smoke out.

Look closer at the ratings. The eye is only rated for 277v to ground. 480 to ground will kill it. The drawings are mislabled.

You want to control 480, use a contactor with a lower voltage to the coil.
The box and the photocell itself both say 480v, and what I hooked them up to was only 277v to ground.
freeagnt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboler
How about a bypass switch? That's the way to go, regardless of how you feel. Electricians are professionals! Give us the power and the responsibility man.
Us? You 'n me we's jus' apprentices.
cguillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 250

http://www.precisionmulticontrols.com/PMCcatalogue09.pdf

great site. seems like you can avoid using a lighting contactor with some of their direct wire photocells.

noarcflash is offline   Reply With Quote