Federal Pacific Breaker Ties - Page 2 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #21
felonious smile.
 
Shockdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island,NY & Poconos
Posts: 15,891
Rewards Points: 522
Default

I know dozens of apartment complexes on this island still running FPE distribution, in fact i resided in one in my early 20's. It took the vacuum, TV and all the lights at once to trip a 15. I was fine with that. I think their failures goes by batches, I have seen some FPE breakers that are functional produced in the early to mid 60's
__________________
Clean this mess up before we all end up in jail, the test tubes and the scale. Just get it all out of here. Is there gas in the car?
Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arixona
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

480sparky

Thanks for the pics of the ties.... Now I need to find them.
Reasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #23
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 39,050
Rewards Points: 6,520
Default

Connecticut Electric, if you're wondering.
__________________
I'm 480Sparky, and I approved this message.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Arixona
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

I found it, thanks!
Reasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NOYB
Posts: 4,654
Rewards Points: 4
Default

Another point no one brought up yet..I was always under the impression that a handle tie DOES NOT insure that if one pole trips that all three will go off, as the force required to turn the breaker off from the handle is somewhat high and not consistent. And even FPE brakers are supposedly of a "trip-free" design, so if the handle is restrained, the trip mechanism will still trip the breaker.

I believe the purpose of external handle ties is only to disconnect multiple circuits manually, as in the case with MWBC as of 2008 Code cycle.

But since FPE breakers never trip anyways, I guess in this case it doesn't matter.

In any event, this smacks of a very bad idea and I see some burned-out 3 phase equipment in Reasy's future.

I personally would either get the proper 3-pole breakers or not do it at all, too much liability involved.

Last edited by guest; 11-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #26
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 39,050
Rewards Points: 6,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxslick View Post
............In any event, this smacks of a very bad idea and I see some burned-out 3 phase equipment in Reasy's future...........
Well, at least we tried telling him that, but he's probably gotten the information he wanted and he'll never return.
__________________
I'm 480Sparky, and I approved this message.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #27
I void warranties
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,423
Rewards Points: 2,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxslick View Post
In any event, this smacks of a very bad idea and I see some burned-out 3 phase equipment in Reasy's future.
I sense the possibility of a service call for another contractor.
__________________
Everything has user serviceable parts inside.
Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #28
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 39,050
Rewards Points: 6,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
I sense the possibility of a service call for another contractor.

Or the local FD..........
__________________
I'm 480Sparky, and I approved this message.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #29
I void warranties
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,423
Rewards Points: 2,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Or the local FD..........
Hey, a complete rewire after a burn down, even better.
__________________
Everything has user serviceable parts inside.
Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #30
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 39,050
Rewards Points: 6,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
Hey, a complete rewire after a burn down, even better.
Job security!
__________________
I'm 480Sparky, and I approved this message.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NOYB
Posts: 4,654
Rewards Points: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Well, at least we tried telling him that, but he's probably gotten the information he wanted and he'll never return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Connecticut Electric, if you're wondering.
Ironic since you're the one who gave him the info!!

Can we say OOPS?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #32
felonious smile.
 
Shockdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island,NY & Poconos
Posts: 15,891
Rewards Points: 522
Default

Conneticut electric- didn't they make the counterfiet SQ D breakers ?
__________________
Clean this mess up before we all end up in jail, the test tubes and the scale. Just get it all out of here. Is there gas in the car?
Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #33
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 39,050
Rewards Points: 6,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxslick View Post
Ironic since you're the one who gave him the info!!

Can we say OOPS?

He'll burn the place down, with out without me. I could care less.
__________________
I'm 480Sparky, and I approved this message.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #34
Florida resident
 
ampman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida , if your not here you're somewhere else
Posts: 3,895
Rewards Points: 1,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxslick View Post
Another point no one brought up yet..I was always under the impression that a handle tie DOES NOT insure that if one pole trips that all three will go off, as the force required to turn the breaker off from the handle is somewhat high and not consistent. And even FPE brakers are supposedly of a "trip-free" design, so if the handle is restrained, the trip mechanism will still trip the breaker.

I believe the purpose of external handle ties is only to disconnect multiple circuits manually, as in the case with MWBC as of 2008 Code cycle.

But since FPE breakers never trip anyways, I guess in this case it doesn't matter.

In any event, this smacks of a very bad idea and I see some burned-out 3 phase equipment in Reasy's future.

I personally would either get the proper 3-pole breakers or not do it at all, too much liability involved.
not to mention single pole breakers are not listed for 240 v
__________________
for lunch I had three cans of alphabet soup then afterwards I had a huge vowel movement
ampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Federal Pacific Stab Lok. jefft110 General Electrical Discussion 20 09-25-2010 06:32 PM
federal pacific xfmr ampman General Electrical Discussion 8 12-14-2009 07:56 PM
For Sale: Federal Pacific breakers Lightning Bolt Electrician Swap 20 12-12-2009 07:07 PM
Federal Pacific Panels partimer31 NEC Code Forum 37 10-23-2009 12:28 PM
federal pacific breaker, huge lot. jwalker331 General Electrical Discussion 17 01-11-2008 03:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.


vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1