CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Default feed through lugs

Whats the difference between regular lugs and feed through lugs? oblong shape? In a riser that has feeders from floor to floor instead of bugging the feeders can you put to wires under the panel lugs if there rated??

Last edited by deanos; 11-07-2012 at 08:19 AM.
deanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanos
Whats the difference between regular lugs and feed through lugs? oblong shape?
Feed through is a term to indicate there are lugs at the bottom of a buss that are connected to the main. So you can have a 200 amp panel with a main, 12 spaces and you can feed out if it at 200 amps. I use these to feed trailer houses.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #3

If you have lugs rated for both wires i do not see the problem.
mbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Default this

While were talking about feed thru lugs. Say it's a 400 amp panel with feed thru lugs. Can you come out of A and B and neutral and feed these 3 polaris taps with say 4/0Cux2 in each then come out with say 8 #1Cu going to 8 - 100 amp sub panels close by?? Is there a limit other than box fill or amount of sub's off feed thru's ??
Attached Images
File Type: gif black.55.gif (2.7 KB, 108 views)
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
While were talking about feed thru lugs. Say it's a 400 amp panel with feed thru lugs. Can you come out of A and B and neutral and feed these 3 polaris taps with say 4/0Cux2 in each then come out with say 8 #1Cu going to 8 - 100 amp sub panels close by?? Is there a limit other than box fill or amount of sub's off feed thru's ??

Is there a limit? Yes. You can't tap a tap.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Default not

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Is there a limit? Yes. You can't tap a tap.
it's not really tapping a tap I don't think. We just energizing the whole bar and coming off it 8 times....code ref/ article?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Default C

It's kind of like C-taps which are exempt from tap rules right

Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
It's kind of like C-taps which are exempt from tap rules right

Cellular concrete floor raceways were about the furthest thing from my mind... but I get the idea. I suppose that as long as the ampacity of the first "tap" (at the lugs) is equal to the feeder, then it doesn't count as a tap as defined in 240.2.

Still, I don't know if I'd do it. We wouldn't be allowed to do it stright off a transformer secondary for the reason I stated, so we might as well be consistent even if we tecnically could get away with it.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote