CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Default Installing Troughers

Installing a bunch of troughers (spelling?) 2x4 Fixtures at work into the grid. Wondering if there are some tricks to getting them in a little easier. Without damaging the grid/ scraping the fixture.

Currently I just put them up at an angle so they don't touch the grid and drop them down. Though sometimes its a little awkward.

al13nw4r3LC76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #2

Just searched for "troffer" and a bunch of stuff came up.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Big Member

Rewards Points: 252

Be careful some are very sharp on the edges, and blood is not a good look on them or the floor, carpet, walls, desks etc... . Make sure you support them by clips, wires or whatever the local AHJ requires.
stars13bars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Patience and a good pair of gloves. If you have someone that is good on stilts, it goes alot quicker.
Darkjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
Buzzy304E

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs down

Uhhh....They've been illegal for quite a few years.Were they ever legal?You're an instructor?
ibuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
Uhhh....They've been illegal for quite a few years.Were they ever legal?You're an instructor?
Stilts are illegal (only if you get hurt) in CA, but that doesn't mean they are illegal everywhere.
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #7

Gloves and practice. I remember the first one I put in whoop my a$$ now they are a piece of cake.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
They are not illegal here. And I don't recommend them if you never used them before, it takes practice.
Darkjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Two guys, one on stilts and one handing the lights will go 5 times faster than 2 guys on ladders. If you know someone who has experience on stilts that is. Otherwise just make sure you have gloves, leather or G-techs, and keep going. It's tedious, I've installed hundreds of the damned things.

Aaron
exploreralpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 136

Preferrably two of them. One to work off of, and the other to carry a couple dozen fixtures.

Plus, some grunt to push 'em around and hand you the fixtures.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post

Preferrably two of them. One to work off of, and the other to carry a couple dozen fixtures.

After all these years, the best set up I seemed to ever have was a ladder and a cart. A buddy of mine, who is a painter, let me borrow his 6' scaffold for about 4 months to do a job. Open, exposed ceiling. Everything surface mount. The scafolding was the best thing ever. I kept wondering, why we don't use them more often. I have never worked for anybody who even owned a scaffold.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowshorts View Post
........I have never worked for anybody who even owned a scaffold.
I own one. Brand spanking new. Took it to the job site. Someone else decided they needed it more than I did.

Now I just say I used to own one.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #13

Installing lights off stilts? All I have to say is that is a very bad idea. I'm trying to be nice.. There aren't really any shortcuts to installing 2x4's. Just wear gloves. Use a ladder and learn from doing.
nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
Buzzy304E

Rewards Points: 500

I live in the most litigious state in the union. If a tradesman were to even attempt to use them here,you would be very firmly,yet politely set straight.After that,you'd be removed from the job.I was on a job years ago where a taper was seriously injured from a fall while wearing them.
In addition,some electrical contractors,upon the advice of their legal counsel,no longer use scaffolding.A contractor I worked for a few years back no longer allows the use of utility type knives due to the number of guys cutting themselves while stripping/prepping wire.We could use our own folding knife,or a dedicated "skinning" knife provided by the company.The fear of lawsuits is what drives many safety issues,not necessarily concern for workers.Steve.
ibuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
"A" inside wireman

Send a message via Yahoo to randomkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post

I agree 100% this is the best way to go.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #16

Thanks for all the input. Currently all I have access to is a 6 foot ladder. Grid is a at 8 feet. I open the fixture up then put my leather gloves on at the last possible second so as to not get finger prints on the fixture. I then proceed with it up the ladder and kind of roll it in. Getting easier with time. Thankfully if I do scratch any of the grid there is access to scraps of it as the ceiling guys are still here. I borrow some after they leave and put it in.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #17

Remember if they are parabolic fixtures, leave the plastic on, until the very last day.

You're lucky your on an 8' grid. Try lugging around a 12' ladder all day dropping fixtures in a 15' ceiling.