No MC Cable Bushings - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Like Tree11Likes

Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Swimmer

Rewards Points: 544
Default No MC Cable Bushings

Customer wants me to take over for previous electrician who seems to have walked off. Most of the work is done and I'm supposed to correct the problems. This is a commercial building and drywall is up.

One of the panels has several MC cables entering. I can't see the actual cable but I do see this connector:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-8...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

However, I don't see the tab on this bushing protruding from the connector slots:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-Fl...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also came across this thread in a Mike Holt forum
Mike Holt's Response: Derek, I can understand your frustration, but this issue has been clearly address by the NEMA Engineering Department Bulletin No. 90, titled Use of Anti-Short Bushings for Terminating Type MC Cable.

ROP #7-116 from the May 2001 Report on Proposals (ROP) for the 2002 NEC was a proposal seeking to require anti-short bushings on all MC Cable termination installations. The following is an excerpt from the Panel statement rejecting the proposal:

Anti-short bushings are not required for Type MC cable in accordance with the listing for the product. The termination fittings approved for use with Type MC cables are designed such that the wires will not come in contact with the cut edge of the armor; the throat of the fitting is small enough to prevent contact with the armor. Type MC termination fittings perform the same function for Type MC cable as Type AC terminations plus the anti-short bushing do for Type AC cable.

Funny, because whenever I buy MC cable, it comes with several bushings.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,818
Send a message via Yahoo to CADPoint

If you dug more over at the other site you'd find a post by George, a moderator about the exact connectors that should be used with MC. Perhaps you could message him and inquire about the exact MC posting he made, possible up to over a year ago.

As I recall the bases of the conversation was where usually used connectors were not allowed and that another type of connectors was "listed" for MC.
I don't recall if the connector you presented is in fact the correct or incorrect part.

Can't you call the local AHJ and get their call about the red anti-shorts perhaps have some photo ready if the AHJ is a, "I have to see it type"!
Good luck
MechanicalDVR likes this.
swimmer (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 455

Anti shorts are not required by NEC or the UL listing of MC cable.
It is true that some anti shorts come with the cable and it's a good idea to use them, but they aren't required.

I think that they come with the cable because they always came with AC cable.
They are required for AC but not MC, but it doesn't mean that you can't use them on MC.

The connectors must be listed for MC cable.
Is the link to the connector that you supplied the exact connector or just one that it looks like.

Last edited by Nom Deplume; 05-08-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Nom Deplume is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nom Deplume For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (05-29-2016), MHElectric (05-08-2016), swimmer (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,332

True. Not required.

They certainly do their job, and cut down on shorts, but I doubt the inspector will say anything.
swimmer (05-09-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14,742

Local Code amendments make anti-short bushings mandatory, hereabouts.

That the dude was using Halex 3/8" tells us that he was not speedy.

They're too slow.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,008

I use them about half the time.
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dawgs For This Useful Post:
MTW (05-29-2016)
Old 05-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 786

http://www.nema.org/Technical/Documents/Bulletin-90.pdf

Use of Anti-Short Bushings for Terminating Type MC Cable

There has been much confusion within the Installation and Inspection communities regarding theuse of anti-short bushings for terminating Type MC cable. The confusion stems from the fact
that some MC cable manufacturers include anti-short bushings with their cable. The inclusion ofanti-short bushings with coils or reels of MC cable is based on historical practice relating to the
requirements of 320.40 of the NEC, which mandates the use of anti-short bushing or itsequivalent protection for Type AC Cable
Fittings used with Type MC Cable are required to be listed per 330.40 of the NEC. NEMAsupports the use of listed fittings for MC Cable. The design of these fittings may or may not
include an insulated throat however, they are required to be provided with a smooth, rounded endstop so that the metal sheath of the cable will not pass through and the wires will not be damaged
in passing over the end stop. Whether or not an insulated throat is part of the listed product, theselisted MC fittings do not require an additional anti-short bushing. Anti-short bushings that may
be supplied by MC Cable manufacturers are for optional use by the installer, however they are
not required.

ROP #7-116 from the May 2001 Report on Proposals (ROP) for the 2002 NEC was a proposalseeking to require anti-short bushings on all MC Cable termination installations.
The following is an excerpt from the Panel statement rejecting the proposal:Anti-short bushings are not required for Type MC cable in accordance with the listing for
the product.
The termination fittings approved for use with Type MC cables are designedsuch that the wires will not come in contact with the cut edge of the armor; the throat of
the fitting is small enough to prevent contact with the armor. Type MC terminationfittings perform the same function for Type MC cable as Type AC terminations plus the
anti-short bushing do for Type AC cable.
NEMA supports the uniform adoption and enforcement of the NEC and recommends that localAuthorities Having Jurisdiction follow the requirements of NEC Section 330.40, Boxes and
Fittings for MC Cable. Section 330.40 requires that the fitting be listed, but does not mandate theuse of an anti-short bushing.

Distribution List:Standards and Conformity Assessment Policy Committee
Codes and Standards Committee
NEMA Executive Staff

Last edited by 360max; 05-08-2016 at 09:25 PM.
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360max For This Useful Post:
swimmer (05-09-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 46

It is good practice to use them even though they are not required. It all comes down to pride and integrity in your workmanship. It would take a lot of pressure and movement for a cut edge of MC sheathing to cut all the way through the nylon coating and insulation and would be very unlikely, but I still use them for good measure.
Ontario and emtnut like this.
Wirenut951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
MTW
Megistered Rember

Rewards Points: 6,287

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
I use them about half the time.
Likewise, I use them when convenient. I also square the end of the cable by removing the sharp point that gets left behind by the rotosplits.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTW For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenut951
It is good practice to use them even though they are not required. It all comes down to pride and integrity in your workmanship. It would take a lot of pressure and movement for a cut edge of MC sheathing to cut all the way through the nylon coating and insulation and would be very unlikely, but I still use them for good measure.
So because I may not use anti-shorts on MC cable, that says I don't have pride and integrity in workmanship? I think you should rescind that statement. And I guarantee myself and the crews that work for me put up work that makes your stuff look silly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dawgs For This Useful Post:
MTW (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #11
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 296

Not required, but cheap insurance. I'd feel really dumb having to troubleshoot and fix a nicked wire because I didn't bother putting in a $0.02 red-head.
MechanicalDVR and 360max like this.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
Cow

Rewards Points: 2,432

I haven't used an anti short in quite a while. If you use the red throated Arlington snap in connectors, there isn't a reason too.
jrannis likes this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cow For This Useful Post:
MTW (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow
I haven't used an anti short in quite a while. If you use the red throated Arlington snap in connectors, there isn't a reason too.
These are what we always use. They're awesome. They just suck when you have to remove them.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #14
Band Member

Rewards Points: 7,982

Quote:
So because I may not use anti-shorts on MC cable, that says I don't have pride and integrity in workmanship?

I think you should rescind that statement.

And I guarantee myself and the crews that work for me put up work that is second to none
fify .... Don't mind me ... I'm in a mood
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
dawgs (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut
fify .... Don't mind me ... I'm in a mood
Ha ha! Yea my post was maybe a little harsh. I'm sure his crew does fine work. But I know mine does also.
sbrn33 and emtnut like this.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #16
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 4,718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenut951 View Post
I think that if you are installing the cable per the manafacture, then you are doing your job. If you were working for me and we're wasting time installing redundant red-heads, taping devices and wirenuts, strapping EMT more than once per length, you would be at the hall signing the book before noon.

Good Day Sir!
Suncoast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #17
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,580

Quote:
Ha ha! Yea my post was maybe a little harsh. I'm sure his crew does fine work. But I know mine does also.
When I was doing union work we would always go one step further to make things nicer. Redheads in all connectors, taped devices, extra straps, everything that jrannis said above and lots more. I would walk across an entire mall for 1 redhead if I ran out right before making up my last cable. That's just the way it was done.

When I went into business for myself I stopped doing many of those "extras". Part of the reason was laziness, part of the reason was profit.

But here's the thing, I can't think of a single instance in which not doing those "extras" has hurt me or my business, caused an issue with the customer, caused a danger or reliability issue, etc.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #18
still in business

Rewards Points: 3,242

Quote:
So because I may not use anti-shorts on MC cable, that says I don't have pride and integrity in workmanship? I think you should rescind that statement. And I guarantee myself and the crews that work for me put up work that makes your stuff look silly.
I was going to like your post until I saw the last sentence.

Oops, I didn't see the other post.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #19
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 28,638

For the half a second it takes to add a red head I'd just rather put them in and never stress it.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #20
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 1,170

Been putting those on MC since I was an apprentice, so ingrained in my head that I think I'd feel guilty not using them though I know its not required.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti short bushing, mc cable