CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default parking lot pole light repairs

I have a customer who wants me to start doing his pole light repairs. I have found on hpsodium wall packs that if the ballast is still in good shape that the reason for the lamp not working is usually the ignitor. Any input on that? Also have hpsodium lamps on poles doing the blinkity blink thing, trying to start up getting about half way to full brightness then turns off again and starts all over.Any thoughts on what is usually the problem??? Also metal halide in other centers. Any thoughts on what the usual problems are with these??? I'm checking prices on the net for ballast coil and core kits and some of these sites say they have warranty for these ballasts for two years. Kind of leads you to the conclusion that usually it might not be the ballast in hps,but either the cap or ignitor.Metal halide might be the cap if not the lamp usually???Customer wants a price on repair for each 1000w fixture. Any ideas on that??? Thanks for any info

skipperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperone View Post
I have a customer who wants me to start doing his pole light repairs. I have found on hpsodium wall packs that if the ballast is still in good shape that the reason for the lamp not working is usually the ignitor. Any input on that? Also have hpsodium lamps on poles doing the blinkity blink thing, trying to start up getting about half way to full brightness then turns off again and starts all over.Any thoughts on what is usually the problem??? Also metal halide in other centers. Any thoughts on what the usual problems are with these??? I'm checking prices on the net for ballast coil and core kits and some of these sites say they have warranty for these ballasts for two years. Kind of leads you to the conclusion that usually it might not be the ballast in hps,but either the cap or ignitor.Metal halide might be the cap if not the lamp usually???Customer wants a price on repair for each 1000w fixture. Any ideas on that??? Thanks for any info
HPS lamp end of life cycle the lamp will cycle on and off till it kills the ballast.

As for the ballast them selves if the ignighter is gone your beter off changing the whole ballast

Welcome to the Forum

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #3
Heavily Armed Member

Allso don't waste time with stuff like ignighters and capciters ,if you install a new lamp and it does not light up just change the whole ballast as a kit.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
I void warranties

Rewards Points: 2,106

You are probably best off just doing a new lamp, ballast and cap all at once. One time in the air for each light that way, then on to the next one.

Last edited by Jlarson; 11-15-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Ballast kit+bulb in every fixture. Charge accordingly.
randas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #6
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 2,000

I always change the ballast with the kit it much quicker than try to do the farting around and find out other parts fail.

especaily you are in the air with the lift and the lift will cost ya the time and money so plan it wise.

Useally with HPS they will cycle like nuts espcally at the EOL { End Of Life } simuair to PSMH but they will dim a bit standard MH EOL are typically very dim or hard to start.

If you have old Mercury Vapour bulbs / ballast just ditch them and go with PSMH as long the socket is rated for pulse start.

Merci.
Marc
Old 11-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a customer who wants me to start doing his pole light repairs.

Why?

Someone else doing it now?
Dnkldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Registered Member

The other guy is probably charging for ballast replacements, when it was just a burned out lamp. A profitable practice for the first time out, not so practical for the long term.
The Lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lightman View Post
The other guy is probably charging for ballast replacements, when it was just a burned out lamp. A profitable practice for the first time out, not so practical for the long term.
Maybe. I usually change out the whole ballast and bulb on new calls.

But on returns, I'll just swapout whatever is bad, and put in a new bulb and clean the lenses.

The copper wound ballasts last a long time, and plastic caps last longer than oil filled.
Dnkldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Also have hpsodium lamps on poles doing the blinkity blink thing, trying to start up getting about half way to full brightness then turns off again and starts all over.Any thoughts on what is usually the problem???
The Lamp is probably bad IMO
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,394

Click here for an HID troubleshooting guide.. it starts around page 27 or so.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10
Default pole light repairs

thanks for all the help guys!!!
skipperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 268

I do alot of parking lot lighting repairs and I never waste time changing out capacitors I just replace the whole thing.Its better being that I have to warrant the work.What are you charging ?
knowledge29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledge29 View Post
I do alot of parking lot lighting repairs and I never waste time changing out capacitors I just replace the whole thing.Its better being that I have to warrant the work.What are you charging ?

I do the same thing. Some will say it's a waste of money, but I'd rather have a customer who's light is going to work for another 2-3 years than come back in two weeks to replace yet another component.

My breakpoint is anything above a 10' stepladder gets everything replaced.... lamp, ballast, cap, ignitor.... everything.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

OK Ken, this weekend, I replaced 39 pole light lamps of various types and one of these required a ballast. To who's advantage would it have been if I had installed 38 unneeded ballasts?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lightman View Post
OK Ken, this weekend, I replaced 39 pole light lamps of various types and one of these required a ballast. To who's advantage would it have been if I had installed 38 unneeded ballasts?

The customer.

And I've explained this before. They get a light that will work for another 4-5 years.

Will you guarantee those used ballasts will last that long? Or will you simply charge them to go back in two weeks and replace one?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #17
Registered Member

Most weeks, I replace over a hundred pole light lamps. Are you actually suggesting that I should be matching that with an equal number of ballasts?
Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
The customer.

And I've explained this before. They get a light that will work for another 4-5 years. Will you guarantee those used ballasts will last that long? Or will you simply charge them to go back in two weeks and replace one?
What about the lamp holder? Do you warranty it, after your "repair"?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #19
I own stock in FotoMat!

Here's the scoop, Lightman.

If you don't like the way I run my business, I got one word for you:

Tough!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #20
Registered Member

But, I do respect the way you run your business and admire the way that you've helped others!

Last edited by The Lightman; 11-22-2010 at 08:14 PM.