T8 bulbs in T12 fixture - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Commercial Electrical Forum

Old 10-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Default T8 bulbs in T12 fixture

I'm no lighting expert so I wanted some input on what I came across in an office building. I get there and the owner tells me he relamped the fluorescent light fixtures that had burned out bulbs.

He had replaced burned out T12's with T8's and they were all working. The ballast specifically stated they were for T12's. So I told him he screwed up and he asked me why then were the T8's working, and I didn't have an answer. So what would have happened leaving the T8's on a T12 ballast?
Hotlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlegs View Post
I'm no lighting expert so I wanted some input on what I came across in an office building. I get there and the owner tells me he relamped the fluorescent light fixtures that had burned out bulbs.

He had replaced burned out T12's with T8's and they were all working. The ballast specifically stated they were for T12's. So I told him he screwed up and he asked me why then were the T8's working, and I didn't have an answer. So what would have happened leaving the T8's on a T12 ballast?
How long ago was it that he called because he will be calling soon. I have gotten calls like this and they usually dont burn long.
Mr Rewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

Had a call last week about 4' lamps flickering.. the maintenance guy got them mixed up..

This is going to be a constant problem for years to come.. BUT.. a money maker for us..
Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rewire View Post
How long ago was it that he called because he will be calling soon. I have gotten calls like this and they usually dont burn long.
Well I made sure I replaced them all with the proper T12's so they were only in there a few hours. I remeber the T8's were very hot when removing them.
Hotlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Modérateur

Because with 4 foot 32 w T8 bulbs in 40 watt T12 ballast will overdrive them a bit and the amprage will be somehow higher and majorty of the T12 ballast I ran into are wired for rapid start which the electrodes always stay warm all the time.

It is a common item when someone get mixed up and not realized that they still have old T12 ballast in there.

So the soluation is either relamp with proper lamps or reballast to T8 ( which I always try to upsell it due they can save little more electrique right there and more quiet as well )

Merci.
Marc
Old 10-19-2011, 05:40 AM   #6

The T8 ballast in a 2x4 fixture, they don't last more than 3 or 4 years. It's cheaper running the old T12 ballast forever, than the small amount of energy savings.
noarcflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noarcflash For This Useful Post:
wireman64 (12-17-2012)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,389

I am pretty sure I have seen ballast that will do T-8 or T-12 tubes. Not sure if they are junk but they are out there
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlegs

The
Lights will burn out. Try putting a t12 in. T8 ballast. Won't work.
mattdolan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Bandwidth Conservator

Rewards Points: 504

I just replaced several T-8's that were installed less than 3 months ago in t-12 fixtures. Go maintenance guy, go!!
Fredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default m

My personal opinion would be to put in extra efficient instant start ballast with some high efficiency t-8's. It seems to be the best bang for the buck, bulb life, and energy savings...
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #11

today I saw an 8' fixture. 96"
1) T8 bulb
1) T12 bulb
Both lamps were working !
I was curious, so I pulled the ballast cover. It was a T8 ballast.

But it was firing both lamps. no problems. The T8 was obviously brighter than the T12.

Then I had to explain to the maintenance personel to differences.
noarcflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by noarcflash View Post
The T8 ballast in a 2x4 fixture, they don't last more than 3 or 4 years. It's cheaper running the old T12 ballast forever, than the small amount of energy savings.
Better get me while u still can. I saw a memo at our local supply house the other day that said they were gonna stop making certain t-12 an a few t-8 lamps next july due to some new government efficiency laws.
DEelectrician88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

My supplier says if you use the wrong bulbs t12 in t8 it voids their warranty on the ballast. Not sure how they would know if the wrong bulbs were used though.
I had this exact problem last week in a kitchen. They would light up but had a very bad flicker. Maint had even put in a new fixture.
dthurmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to Scott Paullin
Default T-8 lamps on T-12 ballast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rewire View Post
You can expect the T-8 lamps to burn about a week or a little longer
Scott Paullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

For what it's worth, I just replaced the ballast in a 96" T12-60W single pin 2-lamp fixture. The new ballast, though rated/labeled for T12's, was small like a 4' T8 ballast would be - not like a huge and heavy 96" ballast is typically. Anyhow...works fine. I left the T12's in it, but after reading this am tempted to see how it does on single pin T8's. Totally appeared to be an electronic ballast.

FYI... T12 AND Incandescent lamps are all going to cease being manufactured shortly, as stated earlier in the feed.
BLohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 210

You can overdrive a ballast with a 4 tube ballast running 2 tubes and they will run a loooong time while giving 1.7 times the light.
Stickshaker is offline   Reply With Quote