can we use wire connector inside the panel? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Code Forum

Like Tree80Likes

Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 372
Default can we use wire connector inside the panel?

for examples, there are 3 wires going inside the panels, they are the same circuits, means they all go to the one breaker.

so can we use one wire connector to put them together, then come out only one pigtail wire, and connect it to the circuit breaker?

do we allow to do that by code?( I check the code book, can find the page talking about that, if anybody find it, please give the page number to me)
mike883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 576

I moved this to the Canadian Forum. Not a problem in the US and I suspect it is not an issue there
emtnut likes this.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
emtnut (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,008

There isn't really a rule. 6-212 sort of talks about it but Section 6 is about services. Draw your own conclusions:

6-212 Wiring space in enclosures
(1) Enclosures for circuit breakers and externally operated switches shall not be used as junction boxes, troughs, or raceways for conductors feeding through or tapping off to other apparatus.

In Alberta, there was an unwritten rule (maybe it was written, Dave would know) that splices weren't allowed. That has been relaxed now to allow extending a wire to meet the breaker as long as you don't create a big, ugly mess of splices.

Last edited by 99cents; 03-20-2017 at 06:06 PM.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,530

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike883 View Post
for examples, there are 3 wires going inside the panels, they are the same circuits, means they all go to the one breaker.

so can we use one wire connector to put them together, then come out only one pigtail wire, and connect it to the circuit breaker?

do we allow to do that by code?( I check the code book, can find the page talking about that, if anybody find it, please give the page number to me)
This begs the question, why would you homerun the same circuit three times into a panel, instead of joining them to each other in the traditional manner, (daisy chain) or, in a junction box located near the panel?
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LawnGuyLandSparky For This Useful Post:
darren79 (03-26-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
This begs the question, why would you homerun the same circuit three times into a panel, instead of joining them to each other in the traditional manner, (daisy chain) or, in a junction box located near the panel?
I know, I usually put a big JB on top of the panel, so I can make the connection, but I am taking somebody else job, and this guy put no JB for the panel

that is why I ask this question
mike883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,876

Quote:
If you were doing this by design, I'd consider it hack. But, sometimes
it's the best way to deal with an existing situation.
P&L
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
Profiteer

Rewards Points: 1,458

Quote:
You are talking to people who install small brand new panels with tandem breakers in new work.
telsa and RePhase277 like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:03 PM   #8
Band Member

Rewards Points: 8,296

Quote:
I know, I usually put a big JB on top of the panel, so I can make the connection, but I am taking somebody else job, and this guy put no JB for the panel

that is why I ask this question
Why ??
Speedy Petey and The_Modifier like this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
Why ??
In commercial, I always put a big JB above a new panel. Either in the t-bar, or if there is none, on the wall above the panel. And I run as many conduits as I think may be required to fill that panel, even if I'm only installing a few circuits in it. It makes for a neater, easier to work on installation down the line, and helps out the next guy. I know I'm always glad when I have to work on an existing panel and there is such an arrangement installed.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #10
Profiteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Nabs View Post
In commercial, I always put a big JB above a new panel. Either in the t-bar, or if there is none, on the wall above the panel. And I run as many conduits as I think may be required to fill that panel, even if I'm only installing a few circuits in it. It makes for a neater, easier to work on installation down the line, and helps out the next guy. I know I'm always glad when I have to work on an existing panel and there is such an arrangement installed.
I'm honestly not seeing it.

If I am the next guy to come in and add something, how is it easier for me to knockout a box (probably have to drill my own?) then run my cable thru the box and conduit, vs. just banging out a KO in the panel and installing the cable?

I've installed boxes (usually 4x4" troughs) above panels like you mentioned when all the cables are short. But if the cables reach, I figure it's cleaner and easier for everyone to just enter the panel.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #11
Watt Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post

If I am the next guy to come in and add something, how is it easier for me to knockout a box (probably have to drill my own?) then run my cable thru the box and conduit, vs. just banging out a KO in the panel and installing the cable?

I've installed boxes (usually 4x4" troughs) above panels like you mentioned when all the cables are short. But if the cables reach, I figure it's cleaner and easier for everyone to just enter the panel.
Then you and I differ.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #12
Profiteer

Quote:
Then you and I differ.
Which is fine, but I am still curious about the question I asked you.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 15,868

Quote:

His style is COMMON in California commercial work.

The panels are surface mounted in an E-room ... with twin risers to a gutter// trough// big can or two sitting above the height of the T-grid. These are over-sized 2" EMT puppies... so that subsequent homeruns are easy peasy to pull in... even if the panel is heated up. The excess materials expense is a joke versus the labor savings.

From the over-head twin cans MC is roped thither and yon above the grid. Indeed, other than extraordinary circuits (rare) -- the entire job is MC everywhere.

The last 120 inches consists of #10 stranded, on color, going into the panel... odds to the left, evens to the right... or #10-4 MC... stripped way back with a Rotosplit.

The foreman builds the E-room, the cable monkeys rope the MC.

For competitive reasons, it's unacceptable for naked MC runs to fly down the walls to the panels.

Plan B is to sheath the last leg of such MC drops in wrap around steel -- by harvesting panel cans -- or some such.

{ I had one PM insist on this scheme. It was brutally ugly and labor intensive. He was soon canned. ( Too many other strew-ups. ) But he was a very pretty boy. }
B-Nabs, emtnut and splatz like this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 15,868

Quote:

There actually was a time when such junctions were prohibited. The panels were so TIGHT that there was no room. Such insanely tight panels can now only be found in ancient homes // museums.

As the NEMA players increased the size of panel cans, the rules were relaxed -- and left up to the determination of the AHJ. The key thing was that enough (free) space had to be in the panel to be well above that required for said junctions if they'd been performed in a standard j-box.

The result is that commercial sized cans have plenty of space for a fair amount of wire nutted connections. Residential panels have only limited capacity. If folks have gotten there ahead of you -- and the space is crammed -- then you're going to get shot down for making matters worse.

But all recent stuff ( last 35 years ) is almost certainly large enough to make the matter moot. AHJs just don't go ape over a few wire nuts in a panel these days.

But, the Code leaves it up to their discretion, even now.
99cents likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #15
Watt Pusher

Quote:
-If the panel is flush mounted, entering into a JB above accessible ceiling is obviously easier than fishing down and prying out a knockout.
-Around here, if it is surface mounted, chances are it's a sprinklered space, meaning the panel has a drip hood, and anything entering the top needs to be raintight. So either EMT with compression fittings and sealing rings (which is what I use to get up to my JB), or TECK with a wet connector (which is more expensive and ugly).
-I also do it because I think it looks better. Obviously if someone comes in later and barfs a cable into the top of the panel there's nothing I can do about it, but at least I can say I tried.

Telsa, usually I like to pipe into the field, and only use AC either for fixture drops or to drop into the walls to hit devices. There is the odd time we do everything from the big box in AC, but I prefer to plan a pipe grid and keep the AC mess to a minimum.
telsa and PlugsAndLights like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #16
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,712

Quote:

I've been a fan of the emt risers up to a trough or can above the drop ceiling install for a long time.
telsa likes this.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #17
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 46

Quote:

Yes.
electricguy, emtnut and RePhase277 like this.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #18
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,066

Quote:
Let's say you're adding a bunch of cubicles. If the future add is a pipe rather than a cable, I am sure you can see the advantage, you have at least one less 90 to deal with, you can hit the j box on three sides so more likely two 90s you don't have to deal with, in an area that's probably already crowded and difficult to work in.

I also like the idea that if you have to do maintenance in the future it's going to be quicker and easier to open that can than it is to open that panel. Depending on the setup you might be able to swap some circuits around without working in a live panel, quicker and safer and without making a ****house of the panel. If you have one of the betties sneaking in a space heater and tripping the circuit, you can open the can and leave a clamp on there and leave it without leaving the cover off the panel.
telsa likes this.
MechanicalDVR (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 102

Quote:
Oh it's you.... grrrrrrr. ;-) your j box is usually in my way. I wish you'd just run what you need and leave space for the next guy to do what they need.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
emtnut likes this.
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:24 PM   #20
Band Member

Rewards Points: 8,296

Quote:
I don't do commercial, so I was not aware ... I still wonder why the OP has 3 home runs on a circuit thou ?? Is that common in commercial ?
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote