CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Code Forum

Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Default class1 zone2, group II2, t2d

Hey guys I'm new here and was hoping you could help me out with some code questions for Canada. What im needing to do is give a qoute to a client for and industrial application. He needs us to wire up 3 transmitters to a nema 4x stainless steel hoffman j-box 12X12X6 using armored cable and tmcx connectors. My question is can I use that type of box, do I need a purge system. all that will be in the box will be terminal block. It needs to be rated class 1 zone2, groups II2, t2d. My wholesale shop was told to make sure all parts were stamp for Canada CSA. Is there any thing else i should worry about. Thanks for the help my CSA code book is on order but hasnt made it here today.

adelgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:12 AM   #2

That type of box should be fine if the circuits are intrinsically safe or otherwise have limited power available for potentially being a source of ignition of the flammable gases. Because they will get in there.

I just finished up a sewer pump station that used a Hoffman box like yours for some float terminals. They're 120 volt circuits but they were fed through an intrinsically safe barrier. I figured they would want an explosion-proof box for it but the specs stated that a regular ol' stainless hoffman box would suffice.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #3

And I don't know if Canada's listing requirements are anything like the USA's, but here if you create a control box of some sort in the field, all the stuff you put in it needs to be UL listed. If you're a UL certified panel shop then you can use UL recognized stuff, and the whole assembly will be one listed unit.

The point is, from what I hear, it's sometimes troublesome to find listed (as opposed to recognized) terminal blocks.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #4

I was told all parts needed to be stamped cCSA for canada. The boxes are junction boxes for 3, 2wire, 24v transmitters.
adelgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to gardiner Send a message via Yahoo to gardiner

All parts must either be CSA approved or cUL approved or your client will looking at a very big expense when it gets up here. When ordering the parts I would suggest you pay specific attention to the wires, as I have seen American wholesalers to mistake UL rated cable with cUl Cable.
gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote