Covalin devices? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Code Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 99cents

Old 09-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 257
Default Covalin devices?

Had salesman call me the other day for the above company. Sent me some pricing on receptacles, switches, etc. Prices look pretty good. However, wondering if anyone has experience with this company. They have a canadian warehouse, and " overseas " manufacturing facility. ( Most likely china ) Any feedback??
Judoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2015, 12:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,774

Anyone try Covalin devices?
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electricguy For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (09-20-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricguy View Post
poor quality devices, dimmers burn out, customer service wont help, only thing good are plates and data products.

Last edited by Oakville; 12-11-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Oakville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 50

Well for starters can you guess whats wrong with this picture? This should tell you what kind of company you'll be dealing with.
These are absolute trash and I will be sticking with the known brands.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 7,154

Agreed. We tried them and they're garbage. The tamper resistant are almost impossible to plug anything in to. The switches seem flimsy.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
nomadapower (12-16-2015)
Old 03-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Good morning Gentleman. My Name is Steve and I am the sales account manager over here at Covalin. 705-866-2546. I received a call on Friday from one of our regular customers who stumbled across this forum to read this unfortunate info. He urged me to get on here and put in my 2 cents.

Let me just clarify a few things real quick! We actually do stand behind our product 100% and always have. Don't believe everything that you read on the Internet! If you don't like our products just call us. We will get them picked up from your shop, pay for the shipping both ways and give you all of your money back! that's just how we do business! If our devices were really junk we wouldn't have the repeat customers that we have had for years.

And of course most of our products are made offshore. You willing to pay $40 for a GFCI? or $8.50 for a single pole switch? This is a manufacturing reality in this country and we didn't make the rules. If you look you will find most if not all of the competition does the same. We are a 100% Canadian company built by local Ontario Electricians.

I don't want to give a sales pitch on here but if you want to see the quality of our products for yourself just give me a call. Order 1 receptacle, 1 switch, 1 whatever you want to see with your own eyes and I'll ship them to you for free. Then maybe you can get on here and "good mouth" us a little instead of this bad mouthing that's going on. I assure you our products are not junk!

Here is the only other review of our products that I found on this forum.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f15/a...s/50190?page=1

Give it a read if want. Or try out stuff for yourself.

Have a great day and work safe!

Thanks
Covalin Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Covalin Sales For This Useful Post:
Sparkykaboom (05-17-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
Jesus Scott

Rewards Points: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covalin Sales View Post
Good morning Gentleman. My Name is Steve and I am the sales account manager over here at Covalin. 705-866-2546. I received a call on Friday from one of our regular customers who stumbled across this forum to read this unfortunate info. He urged me to get on here and put in my 2 cents.

Let me just clarify a few things real quick! We actually do stand behind our product 100% and always have. Don't believe everything that you read on the Internet! If you don't like our products just call us. We will get them picked up from your shop, pay for the shipping both ways and give you all of your money back! that's just how we do business! If our devices were really junk we wouldn't have the repeat customers that we have had for years.

And of course most of our products are made offshore. You willing to pay $40 for a GFCI? or $8.50 for a single pole switch? This is a manufacturing reality in this country and we didn't make the rules. If you look you will find most if not all of the competition does the same. We are a 100% Canadian company built by local Ontario Electricians.

I don't want to give a sales pitch on here but if you want to see the quality of our products for yourself just give me a call. Order 1 receptacle, 1 switch, 1 whatever you want to see with your own eyes and I'll ship them to you for free. Then maybe you can get on here and "good mouth" us a little instead of this bad mouthing that's going on. I assure you our products are not junk!

Here is the only other review of our products that I found on this forum.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f15/a...s/50190?page=1

Give it a read if want. Or try out stuff for yourself.

Have a great day and work safe!

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to electricmanscott For This Useful Post:
99cents (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 7,154

So you're going to send a free sample of a TR receptacle that you can't plug anything into? No thanks. With my luck I would get the one out of ten that actually works.

You have your feedback. Fix the problem.
360max likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
360max (03-29-2016), glen1971 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:49 PM   #9
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 154

We ordered a shipment from Covalin and haven't had one issue with any devices so far. It was a large enough shipment from last year, that we are still using up the last of them still.

But to each there own.

BTW Steve, the clients love the wall plates and the staff haven't had any issues or complaints either. We took a chance, and are happy.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Modifier View Post
We ordered a shipment from Covalin and haven't had one issue with any devices so far. It was a large enough shipment from last year, that we are still using up the last of them still.

But to each there own.

BTW Steve, the clients love the wall plates and the staff haven't had any issues or complaints either. We took a chance, and are happy.
I've thought on and off about giving them a try. Wondering if your order
included GFI receptacles?
Thanks,
P&L
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #11
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
I've thought on and off about giving them a try. Wondering if your order
included GFI receptacles?
Thanks,
P&L
@PlugsAndLights:
No, we bought out the last of the stock for the previous non-self testing ones for a good price and have about 30 left to use on job sites.

We want to try them out on a new install as a service plug for the trades on new builds (as a temporary receptacle)- they for some reason know how to put a device to the test!

They are from Sudbury and have fast shipping as well. We had ours to the shop door in about 24 hours.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 46

Got some samples from Covalin a few weeks ago. Tested them out and was impressed that I bought TR receptacles (duplex, decora and gfci) for jobs and stock, switches, plate covers.

I am impressed with them that they are my now go to supplier. The gfci's are not bulky, I have not had a problem with the TR feature of receptacles. Next day delivery if ordered by 2pm, saves me 2 hrs travel/time at wholesalers. Allows me to recoup costs and turn it into profit.
Sparkykaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkykaboom View Post
Got some samples from Covalin a few weeks ago. Tested them out and was impressed that I bought TR receptacles (duplex, decora and gfci) for jobs and stock, switches, plate covers.

I am impressed with them that they are my now go to supplier. The gfci's are not bulky, I have not had a problem with the TR feature of receptacles. Next day delivery if ordered by 2pm, saves me 2 hrs travel/time at wholesalers. Allows me to recoup costs and turn it into profit.
How much are the 20 amp gfci self testing t slot
Old 06-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #14

Quote:
How much are the 20 amp gfci self testing t slot
http://www.covalin.com/
$13.89
Old 06-09-2016, 06:28 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
So what do you pay for name brand gfi's where you are? I just bought Eaton 20A selftest gfi's for around $12.50
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #16

15a
$16.65 from wholesaler - Leviton
$26-32 from Hardware store

20a
$21 from wholsaler - leviton
$32-40 from hardware store.

We always pay more than US, so you $12.50US is about $16.87Cdn
Old 06-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #17

Quote:
15a
$16.65 from wholesaler - Leviton
$26-32 from Hardware store

20a
$21 from wholsaler - leviton
$32-40 from hardware store.

We always pay more than US, so you $12.50US is about $16.87Cdn
Do you give your customers a ,Name Brand or offshore brand
Old 06-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #18

Quote:
First off, everything is offshore, name one company that makes their product in North America. Just a different floor of the same factory for each company, ie look at the thin LED pot lights now... If they meet code for my area then why would I not use it? I can use the screwless covers and give clients a higher quality look without charging them way more.

I am now installing Covalin devices (I have not used dimmers yet as I stick to what the bulb manufacturer recommends), unless they don't make a specific type (IE night light, USB ports).

No customer has ever asked what product brand I install. If someone wants me to install a specific brand then I have two choices, I buy from a wholsaler to try and make some profit or I would recommend them buying the devices & I would install for a preset price.
I offer the warranty on devices that the manufacturer give me.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 244

Quote:
Quote:
First off, everything is offshore, name one company that makes their product in North America. Just a different floor of the same factory for each company, ie look at the thin LED pot lights now... If they meet code for my area then why would I not use it? I can use the screwless covers and give clients a higher quality look without charging them way more.

I am now installing Covalin devices (I have not used dimmers yet as I stick to what the bulb manufacturer recommends), unless they don't make a specific type (IE night light, USB ports).

No customer has ever asked what product brand I install. If someone wants me to install a specific brand then I have two choices, I buy from a wholsaler to try and make some profit or I would recommend them buying the devices & I would install for a preset price.
I offer the warranty on devices that the manufacturer give me.
Maybe Leviton sold in Canada is different, but Leviton devices sold here are made in the USA.
Going_Commando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Maybe Leviton sold in Canada is different, but Leviton devices sold here are made in the USA.
I think you need to check your box again.

"Manufactured and Exported By __list US, Can, & Mexico addresses__. Country of Origin: China". Country of origin is the key. (Hope the photo attaches)

On their website the Asia market lists 120v residential devices, US/Can/Mex do not list them.
Attached Thumbnails
Covalin devices?-image.jpg