CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Code Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Default Quality Control

Hey there! Just wanted to start a conversation on Quality Control / Quality Assurance. I have been in the field end of this for quite sometime now and find that there is a major shortage of Electricians that are trained to do this job. Any thoughts on why it is so hard to find good people for these positions?

QAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAGuy View Post
Hey there! Just wanted to start a conversation on Quality Control / Quality Assurance. I have been in the field end of this for quite sometime now and find that there is a major shortage of Electricians that are trained to do this job. Any thoughts on why it is so hard to find good people for these positions?
Because the education system is designed for everyone to either be an astronaut or a gas station attendant.

Not to mention the fundamental cohesion of our society is falling apart at the seams, due to many factors; not the least of which is the unfettering destruction of our economy by the corporate elites.

erics37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics37 View Post
Because the education system is designed for everyone to either be an astronaut or a gas station attendant.

Not to mention the fundamental cohesion of our society is falling apart at the seams, due to many factors; not the least of which is the unfettering destruction of our economy by the corporate elites.
Maybe that is the case in the US, you are in the Canadian forum though. I agree with the first line though.

OP: what type of QC are you in to, and where abouts are you located.
Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cujo For This Useful Post:
erics37 (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
Maybe that is the case in the US, you are in the Canadian forum though. I agree with the first line though.
Thanks, didn't catch that
erics37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

Electrical and Instrumentation QA/QC.... spent a long time in Fort Mcmurray and currently working a Potash Mine Expansion in Saskatoon. I am a Journeyman Electrician/ Apprentice Instrumentation.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

I'm guessing the money is really good.

Im guessing the biggest issue where you are is getting guys to travel. Especially ones who are JM electricians as well as instrument techs.

How did you get in to instrumentation from Electrical? Im about 6 months off my JM electrician and not quite sure where I want to go next. I hear Pyramid accepts apprentice inst. tech who are JM electricians and pays them electrical wage.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #7

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what a quality control electrician does.
xlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

True QA/QC isn't something that most electricians are exposed to.
Most of the time, this was/is handled by the engineering firms
I would think that any contractors would have to be ISO certified to be able to do their own QA/QC
wcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #9

Yes, any Electrical company that is doing QA/QC work does require ISO certification. The work that is typically conducted is inspection and testing of electrical equipement and systems after construction phase. By use of set criteria the work is deemed as pass or fail based on CEC and applicable client specifications. This is a requirement with most large scale construction projects as the client wants an acceptable installation and often does not have the relevant experience in the electrical field to know what they are getting.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Conservitum Americum

Quote:
Yes, any Electrical company that is doing QA/QC work does require ISO certification. The work that is typically conducted is inspection and testing of electrical equipement and systems after construction phase. By use of set criteria the work is deemed as pass or fail based on CEC and applicable client specifications. This is a requirement with most large scale construction projects as the client wants an acceptable installation and often does not have the relevant experience in the electrical field to know what they are getting.
So you would know the definition of the one word everyone here knows but is afraid to say "Hack". I hope you become a regular poster here and call a spade a spade.

For fun, just do a search.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #11

I do know the defintion of "Hack". LOL
Old 06-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
Zog

Quote:
I do a lot of nuclear work so yes we employ several QC/QA guys and yesy they are hard to find.
Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #13

Quote:
We have people similar to that inspect some of our jobs, usually just visual inspections though.

How did you get in to that part of the industry?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #14

i think its up to you to teach these guidelines of quality, service and dedication to the job.

i personally always preach near perfect electrical work, because i think quality shows the type of company you are and people enjoy seeing work that is pleasing to the eye.

also i always make sure to tell my employees to clean all their mess before it becomes a job to clean it up. The customer loves it when their building looks cleaner than when we first came in!

i like things straight, level and esthetically pleasing. Center that outlet in the wall if you can, things like that.
magneticpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #15

I got into this part of the Industry by gaining a lot of High Voltage Installation and testing experience. Then started to do more work in the testing and commissioning of systems. Followed by the Alberta Master Electrician Certification. Then it has just been years of experience in the field, a lot of what is done is megger testing and visual inspections during the construction phase, then moving into loop checks and start up as the commissioning is under way.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Zog

Quote:
I got into this part of the Industry by gaining a lot of High Voltage Installation and testing experience. Then started to do more work in the testing and commissioning of systems. Followed by the Alberta Master Electrician Certification. Then it has just been years of experience in the field, a lot of what is done is megger testing and visual inspections during the construction phase, then moving into loop checks and start up as the commissioning is under way.
Sounds to me more like a NETA or NICET certified tester, not really what I consider a QA/QC person.
Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #17

I figure that you have to know exactly how the system works and what its functionality is in order to be able to critique the construction of it. No one likes having their work rejected because it violates code or specs. The more training you have in the electrical world the better you are at being able to judge the work of others. I think that it is every electricians duty to learn more and educate themselves to a higher level. This means learning the codes and specs, and eliminating the saying "we have always done it that way"
Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #18

Quote:
I figure that you have to know exactly how the system works and what its functionality is in order to be able to critique the construction of it. No one likes having their work rejected because it violates code or specs. The more training you have in the electrical world the better you are at being able to judge the work of others. I think that it is every electricians duty to learn more and educate themselves to a higher level. This means learning the codes and specs, and eliminating the saying "we have always done it that way"
I think I speak for most of us here when i say we wish more people in the trade would think like you do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cujo For This Useful Post:
Zog (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo View Post
I'm guessing the money is really good.

Im guessing the biggest issue where you are is getting guys to travel. Especially ones who are JM electricians as well as instrument techs.

How did you get in to instrumentation from Electrical? Im about 6 months off my JM electrician and not quite sure where I want to go next. I hear Pyramid accepts apprentice inst. tech who are JM electricians and pays them electrical wage.
Yes the pay is very good for the position. I have heard that Pyramid does accept JM electrical and pays them at that rate to complete their Instrumentation. A dual ticket, in the places that I have been, have been able to write their own paychecks as they are a much sought after commodity. The electrical union in Alberta also offers this but the calls are harder to come by.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #20

Who wouldn't want the opportunity to have a job criticizing others' work! Ideally suited for anyone on this site!!!!

kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote