CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Canadian Electrical Code Forum

Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

Default Teck 90 connector????

I need some answers regarding the use of Teck cable outside and the use of flex connectors! Does this cable require the use of Teck connectors for any installation outside? More specific, branch wiring feed from a pole service! I need your opinion on this one and a rule if possible!
Thanks!

CEC09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEC09 View Post
I need some answers regarding the use of Teck cable outside and the use of flex connectors! Does this cable require the use of Teck connectors for any installation outside? More specific, branch wiring feed from a pole service! I need your opinion on this one and a rule if possible!
Thanks!
Not to sure what the code rule is, I have always used teck connectors outdoors, not sure how the cable would stay dry using a flex connector as we have to make sure the metal armour is in contact with the flex connector for bonding the sheath purposes.

electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEC09 View Post
Thanks!
Until recently, we were able to use flex connectors on Teck 90, where the cable was not subject to getting water on the connectors ie; under enclosures .
Now the inspectors are insisting on the proper connectors for all outside use.
There have been a few(very few) times that the inspector has allowed a flex connector for inside work.
That being said, flex connectors are not approved for Teck 90 and this is where the inspector is citing the rules. All parts must be approved for what they are being used. L16s are not approved for Teck
Personally, I feel that since the customer is paying for a proper job, and the right connector is part of that design, use the right connector. ( A Teck connector)
wcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

I use nothing but 2 screw connectors on teck in dry locations and w.p. connectors in wet locations.
crosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
Until recently, we were able to use flex connectors on Teck 90, where the cable was not subject to getting water on the connectors ie; under enclosures .
Now the inspectors are insisting on the proper connectors for all outside use.
There have been a few(very few) times that the inspector has allowed a flex connector for inside work.
That being said, flex connectors are not approved for Teck 90 and this is where the inspector is citing the rules. All parts must be approved for what they are being used. L16s are not approved for Teck
Personally, I feel that since the customer is paying for a proper job, and the right connector is part of that design, use the right connector. ( A Teck connector)
I totally agree with what you have said here. Any outside connections made with teck 90 should use teck connectors! I don't think flex connectors are approved for teck cable regardless of the location but It seems to be accepted in dry locations such as electrical rooms.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Fluke Skywalker

I wish we had cool names for cable.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #7

You do.

Wtf is mc??
redblkblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Fluke Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblkblu
You do.

Wtf is mc??
Useless
mattsilkwood (03-26-2012), nolabama (04-24-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #9

You have to use teck connectors in outdoor locations.

Flex connectors are fine for teck inside, as long as you cut off the outer jacket and clamp the flex connector onto the aluminum of the teck. I'm pretty sure that's a coderule somewhere.

Flex connectors aren't as pretty or as durable, but they're a lot cheaper. I'd never use one outside. Never seen a flex connector used outside, and if it was, I would mock it as hack.
kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboler View Post
You have to use teck connectors in outdoor locations.

Flex connectors are fine for teck inside, as long as you cut off the outer jacket and clamp the flex connector onto the aluminum of the teck. I'm pretty sure that's a coderule somewhere.

Flex connectors aren't as pretty or as durable, but they're a lot cheaper. I'd never use one outside. Never seen a flex connector used outside, and if it was, I would mock it as hack.
I totally agree with you, but do we have a code rule for this? Or does it come down to using approved products for the application.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #11

There is an approved 2 screw teck connector, so flex connectors aren't allowed. The approved connector has a shoulder to keep the armour out of the enclosure. Maybe look up the specs for the approved connector to see what location it's good for?
xlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Heavily Armed Member

Do you have any pictures of the stuff or a link to their web site?

BTW you don't have to start new threads to get your answer just bump your first thread back to the top again.

Bump!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlink View Post
There is an approved 2 screw teck connector, so flex connectors aren't allowed. The approved connector has a shoulder to keep the armour out of the enclosure. Maybe look up the specs for the approved connector to see what location it's good for?
I looked for the approved connector's for teck but found nothing! I've never heard of a two screw teck connector? Where can I find this info?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Do you have any pictures of the stuff or a link to their web site?

BTW you don't have to start new threads to get your answer just bump your first thread back to the top again.

Bump!
I just have this issue regarding Teck Connectors in a differnet Sub-forum, is this aloud? Just trying to reach as many people as possible!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Light Bender

Tecknically, you must always use an approved connector for the type of wire but many inspectors will let you use a regular dry connector on Teck90 in a dry, indoor location.

CEC 12-3022(5) and (6)
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
Tecknically, you must always use an approved connector for the type of wire but many inspectors will let you use a regular dry connector on Teck90 in a dry, indoor location.

CEC 12-3022(5) and (6)
This sounds like the code rule that can dictate when and where you use these connectors! Good find! Along with rule 2-024!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlink View Post
Picture was too big so go to page 27 of the following link
http://www.tnb-canada.com/en/catalog...eck_MRO_en.pdf

These are Teck not "flex" connectors
wcord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wcord For This Useful Post:
stuiec (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
jza
Mad as Hell Member

I hate seeing a Flex connector used on Teck, even indoors.
jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jza View Post
I hate seeing a Flex connector used on Teck, even indoors.
Why exactly? I would get my ass chewed out for using a teck connector in doors other than at panels.
mattyp8516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
jza
Mad as Hell Member

I just can't stand seeing the jacket skinned back an inch or two before the armor enters the flex connector.

jza is offline   Reply With Quote