Anyone do any O&M for PV? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Alternative Energy Forum

Old 10-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 30
Default Anyone do any O&M for PV?

Just wondering if there is anyone on the boards doing O&M for PV systems? I have a pretty cool gig, I run a company that operates about 300MW of mostly large ground mounts. I am always looking for people to discuss O&M with and also always looking for quality electricians to employ!
zenmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

I just want to sell systems for residential I don't really want to install. Whats the tip of the day?
Old 10-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 278

We have a bunch of solar sites. Loose a few panels to ice and wind a year, other than that not much goes wrong. We monitor everything at the site remotely so I can watch everything real time.

drsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Do those systems have batteries? Have any pictures of battery systems, inverters, etc.?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:11 PM   #5

Yep, got a few batteries. All instrumented so we can see problems in advance.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #6

Hear is another set.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #7

Here is a little one.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:20 PM   #8
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

What type of maintenance is needed for the batteries?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 6

I would love to go to work by helicopter.

Sent from my house using 2 cans and a string!
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
We have a bunch of solar sites. Loose a few panels to ice and wind a year, other than that not much goes wrong. We monitor everything at the site remotely so I can watch everything real time.

Nice Doctor. I did some pretty cool remote applications for cell phone towers in rural locations about 5 years ago at my last job.

The stuff I play with these days is a lot bigger and I think I've seen everything at this point. Inverters are the biggest failure point still but I've seen... blown up medium voltage transformers, direct lightning strikes to interconnections, 100s of modules taken for a ride by a hurricane, arcing so bad it melted a 12" hole in a peace of RMC, etc. I could go on for days. Some people say solar and is simple and I don't disagree with them, but when you get into the bigger stuff your dealing with lots of problems no one has ever seen before and the ante is WAY UP on safety.

I'll post some pictures of some of our sites.
The Following User Says Thank You to zenmurphy For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep View Post
I just want to sell systems for residential I don't really want to install. Whats the tip of the day?
Lep. No tips for residential. It is a volume game at this point with a bunch of massive cut throat players. Best bet is to sell quality and pick off the customers that don't by the hype around the big boys.

If you are in a market that hasn't saturated yet you can always make some sales before the big boys come to town but that has its own set of problems.

The only residential I touch these days is when my buddies want to install or need help troubleshooting their systems.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 750

Just talked to a customer that is looking at installing a co-owned grid tie system. He said they got a $3-$4 per watt price. I'm higher, just under $5. Told him to make sure "everything" is included. It's no different than any electrical job.
The devil is in the details.

When the system stops working, are these cut rate companies going to be around or even have people that can figure out why?
Old 10-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #13

Old 10-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #14

Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #15

Old 10-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #16

Old 10-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post
Just talked to a customer that is looking at installing a co-owned grid tie system. He said they got a $3-$4 per watt price. I'm higher, just under $5. Told him to make sure "everything" is included. It's no different than any electrical job.
The devil is in the details.

When the system stops working, are these cut rate companies going to be around or even have people that can figure out why?
Backstay. I hear you bud. The big companies are mostly doing PPAs and they often have hundreds of trouble tickets open at a time. I have a friend who does residential service for a big player and he says he rarely has less than 50 open tickets assigned to him. Imagine what it would be like to be the 50th ticket on that list?

That's why I said selling quality is the only real way to go once the big players come to town.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #18

Oh and Backstay, I have seen prices drop under $2/watt for the bigger projects. Glad I'm out of the construction game, it is a tough business.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #19
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmurphy View Post
Backstay. I hear you bud. The big companies are mostly doing PPAs and they often have hundreds of trouble tickets open at a time. I have a friend who does residential service for a big player and he says he rarely has less than 50 open tickets assigned to him. Imagine what it would be like to be the 50th ticket on that list?

That's why I said selling quality is the only real way to go once the big players come to town.
Which suppliers in your opinion are the quality supplier?
In other words what companies would you recommend going through to be a rep for their quality products?

I heard financing is a roadblock for the small guy
Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #20
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Any of you solar gurus care to post an example or sample of your load analyis spreedsheets? ( my understanding you have to come up with an average use of all the appliances over time also)