Grid interconnected generator - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Alternative Energy Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By Anathera
  • 2 Post By Big John
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By telsa

Old 10-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,012
Default Grid interconnected generator

I am working a place with severe undervoltage due to heavy loads.

As low as 85 volts on the 120 legs of 240v edison system.

What I want to do is have an interconnected generator, like 15kw size, to bring up the voltage, but still use poco juice.

Can I do this affordabely? Or am I going to have to do some weird dc setup with inverters? Or just put in a temp panel fed from a stand alone generator, and move some loads over there...
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 298

has anyone discussed poco based solutions with poco ?
Old 10-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,410

I know I am dabbling here in smart people stuff in which I don't belong, but if a measly 15Kw or less is enough to correct the undervoltage, then there must be a serious problem elsewhere.
Majewski likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 334

Obviously poco solution would be best but unless you split up the load you will need parallelling equipment. I don't think those units are cheap though the only one I saw a price for was for a 200ka system so...

Edit -not to mention the danger to lineman of having back fed generator systems. I doubt they would approve it on such a small scale
Big John likes this.
Anathera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 250

In theory your generator would only have to be sized to pick up the kVA that you are sagging. My concern is that when grid parralleled you would actually be trying to carry everything on that local grid that was below your nominal voltage; you might need a massive generator to do that.

Add in the fact that you'd need paralleling gear, utility tie protection, an intertie agreement, and the customer would be bearing the fuel costs indefinitely, I really don't think this is the right solution.

If you can prove the undervoltage is occurring at the service the utility may have a duty to upgrade to keep you within 5% of nominal. I'd start there.
micromind and splatz like this.
splatz (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 3,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_elex View Post

What I want to do is have an interconnected generator, like 15kw size, to bring up the voltage, but still use poco juice.

Can I do this affordabely? Or am I going to have to do some weird dc setup with inverters? Or just put in a temp panel fed from a stand alone generator, and move some loads over there...
Question:
Are your larger loads intermittent or continuous?
Old 10-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10,538

This matter is for the Poco to resolve. Period.

Too many cooks spoil the waveform.
Majewski likes this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to telsa For This Useful Post:
Suncoast Power (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_elex View Post

Where did you mesure the voltage at ??? that will make the differnce there.

I would not bother do that because the cost as Big John mention it clear...

I will get on the POCO first and let them know about undervoltage sistuation after only you verify the customer side conductors and connection is good .,,

if customer side is good then ping the POCO and they will have to keep the voltage to normal level on full load.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10,538

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I will get on the POCO first and let them know about undervoltage sistuation after only you verify the customer side conductors and connection is good .,,

if customer side is good then ping the POCO and they will have to keep the voltage to normal level on full load.
That's a fact, Jack.
frenchelectrican likes this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote