PV conduit inside exterior wall permitted? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Alternative Energy Forum

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By papaotis
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By Suncoast Power
  • 1 Post By backstay
  • 2 Post By macmikeman

Old 11-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 217
Default PV conduit inside exterior wall permitted?

Hello,

I'm working on a plan to install 4kW, 1-phase, 240VAC, grid-tied, micro-inverter based, Photo-Voltaic System no a rooftop in a multi-unit residential building. I wanted to inquire if it is an acceptable practice to run the AC cables from the rooftop junction box to the PV AC Disconnect on the buiding's exterior wall, in EMT conduit installed inside the building's exterior wall. Exterior wall cladding work is also planned around the same time, so I wanted to inquire if it is acceptable to run the EMT conduit inside of the exterior wall.

This work is conducted on an existing building, so going through the attic and ceiling space of the building is not an option. Another alternative could be installing the EMT conduit from the rooftop junction box on the surface of the exterior wall. I'd appreciate your comments/suggestions on the best practice to install the EMT conduit from the rooftop junction box to the PV AC disconnect on the exterior wall. Also, is rigid EMT conduit preferable or flexible, galvanized steel conduit?

Thank you.
katwalatapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 3,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwalatapan View Post
Hello,

I'm working on a plan to install 4kW, 1-phase, 240VAC, grid-tied, micro-inverter based, Photo-Voltaic System no a rooftop in a multi-unit residential building. I wanted to inquire if it is an acceptable practice to run the AC cables from the rooftop junction box to the PV AC Disconnect on the buiding's exterior wall, in EMT conduit installed inside the building's exterior wall. Exterior wall cladding work is also planned around the same time, so I wanted to inquire if it is acceptable to run the EMT conduit inside of the exterior wall.

This work is conducted on an existing building, so going through the attic and ceiling space of the building is not an option. Another alternative could be installing the EMT conduit from the rooftop junction box on the surface of the exterior wall. I'd appreciate your comments/suggestions on the best practice to install the EMT conduit from the rooftop junction box to the PV AC disconnect on the exterior wall. Also, is rigid EMT conduit preferable or flexible, galvanized steel conduit?

Thank you.
?????
Majewski likes this.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
?????
ditto
Majewski likes this.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 24,756

Galvanized flex (Greenfield) isn't a material choice I'd select for this, I'd stay with PVC sch 40 conduit myself.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 4,574

Inside of the exterior.
Is that the interior?
glen1971 and papaotis like this.
Suncoast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 794

For some reason I thought PVC wasn't allowed from the panels down inside the building. I looked and couldn't find it. Micro inverters change things.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 706

If you are asking if EMT conduit can be buried in a wall (insulated or not) the answer is yes.
It is only PVC conduit, that has a restriction of not being buried in insulation.
As to recommendation of method, unless you want/need the ability to modify the conductors in the future, I would consider Teck
Old 11-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 8,150

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
If you are asking if EMT conduit can be buried in a wall (insulated or not) the answer is yes.
It is only PVC conduit, that has a restriction of not being buried in insulation.
As to recommendation of method, unless you want/need the ability to modify the conductors in the future, I would consider Teck
Correct. PVC conduit cannot be surrounded by thermal insulation. Don't ask me for the rule number. If it's strapped to a stud then, technically, it's not surrounded by insulation but I might expect a fail anyway.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
Senile Member

This is the alternative power forum section not the Canadian section right? Ok, good. Pvc can be buried in insulation all day and night. DC current conductors coming from solar panels must be in metal conduit once inside the interior of a building. I have no idea if the inside core of an exterior block wall is considered interior or exterior. This is my coup to restore the sovereignty of this forum!
Cl906um (11-18-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
This is the alternative power forum section not the Canadian section right? Ok, good. Pvc can be buried in insulation all day and night. DC current conductors coming from solar panels must be in metal conduit once inside the interior of a building. I have no idea if the inside core of an exterior block wall is considered interior or exterior. This is my coup to restore the sovereignty of this forum!
the OP is from Canada, so our superior code rules apply
Old 11-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
the OP is from Canada, so our superior code rules apply
macmikeman, welcome to the New World Order!. It only gets better and better
Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 262

I have done a lot of outside piping of interior walls, so my experience is completely opposite from what would not not help you here.
aDudeInPhx is offline   Reply With Quote