PV conduit inside exterior wall permitted? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Alternative Energy Forum


Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By papaotis
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By Suncoast Power
  • 1 Post By backstay
  • 2 Post By macmikeman
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 134
Rewards Points: 217
Default PV conduit inside exterior wall permitted?

Hello,

I'm working on a plan to install 4kW, 1-phase, 240VAC, grid-tied, micro-inverter based, Photo-Voltaic System no a rooftop in a multi-unit residential building. I wanted to inquire if it is an acceptable practice to run the AC cables from the rooftop junction box to the PV AC Disconnect on the buiding's exterior wall, in EMT conduit installed inside the building's exterior wall. Exterior wall cladding work is also planned around the same time, so I wanted to inquire if it is acceptable to run the EMT conduit inside of the exterior wall.

This work is conducted on an existing building, so going through the attic and ceiling space of the building is not an option. Another alternative could be installing the EMT conduit from the rooftop junction box on the surface of the exterior wall. I'd appreciate your comments/suggestions on the best practice to install the EMT conduit from the rooftop junction box to the PV AC disconnect on the exterior wall. Also, is rigid EMT conduit preferable or flexible, galvanized steel conduit?

Thank you.
katwalatapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 20,504
Rewards Points: 3,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwalatapan View Post
Hello,

I'm working on a plan to install 4kW, 1-phase, 240VAC, grid-tied, micro-inverter based, Photo-Voltaic System no a rooftop in a multi-unit residential building. I wanted to inquire if it is an acceptable practice to run the AC cables from the rooftop junction box to the PV AC Disconnect on the buiding's exterior wall, in EMT conduit installed inside the building's exterior wall. Exterior wall cladding work is also planned around the same time, so I wanted to inquire if it is acceptable to run the EMT conduit inside of the exterior wall.

This work is conducted on an existing building, so going through the attic and ceiling space of the building is not an option. Another alternative could be installing the EMT conduit from the rooftop junction box on the surface of the exterior wall. I'd appreciate your comments/suggestions on the best practice to install the EMT conduit from the rooftop junction box to the PV AC disconnect on the exterior wall. Also, is rigid EMT conduit preferable or flexible, galvanized steel conduit?

Thank you.
?????
Majewski likes this.
__________________
“That all changes—starting right here and right now.” Jan. 20 “will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again.” Donald Trump
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
corn-fused
 
papaotis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: on the river, near the corn
Posts: 4,556
Rewards Points: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
?????
ditto
Majewski likes this.
__________________
i like neat! just doesnt always happen
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
Deplorable-Electrician
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: God's Country of Virginia
Posts: 27,704
Rewards Points: 24,756
Default

Galvanized flex (Greenfield) isn't a material choice I'd select for this, I'd stay with PVC sch 40 conduit myself.
__________________
I have never claimed to be a nice guy!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #5
Semper Fidelis
 
Suncoast Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 13,460
Rewards Points: 4,574
Default

Inside of the exterior.
Is that the interior?
glen1971 and papaotis like this.
Suncoast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #6
NRA Member
 
backstay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wonderful Northern Minnesota
Posts: 10,922
Rewards Points: 794
Default

For some reason I thought PVC wasn't allowed from the panels down inside the building. I looked and couldn't find it. Micro inverters change things.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
__________________
Science Czar of Planet Earth, and Ambassador to the Planet Macmikeman
You cannot conquer a free man, the most you can do is kill him.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor
 
wcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 3,370
Rewards Points: 706
Default

If you are asking if EMT conduit can be buried in a wall (insulated or not) the answer is yes.
It is only PVC conduit, that has a restriction of not being buried in insulation.
As to recommendation of method, unless you want/need the ability to modify the conductors in the future, I would consider Teck
__________________
Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.
wcord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur
 
99cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Perky Nipples, Canada
Posts: 13,983
Rewards Points: 8,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
If you are asking if EMT conduit can be buried in a wall (insulated or not) the answer is yes.
It is only PVC conduit, that has a restriction of not being buried in insulation.
As to recommendation of method, unless you want/need the ability to modify the conductors in the future, I would consider Teck
Correct. PVC conduit cannot be surrounded by thermal insulation. Don't ask me for the rule number. If it's strapped to a stud then, technically, it's not surrounded by insulation but I might expect a fail anyway.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #9
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 20,504
Rewards Points: 3,346
Default

This is the alternative power forum section not the Canadian section right? Ok, good. Pvc can be buried in insulation all day and night. DC current conductors coming from solar panels must be in metal conduit once inside the interior of a building. I have no idea if the inside core of an exterior block wall is considered interior or exterior. This is my coup to restore the sovereignty of this forum!
__________________
“That all changes—starting right here and right now.” Jan. 20 “will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again.” Donald Trump
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macmikeman For This Useful Post:
Cl906um (11-18-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor
 
wcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 3,370
Rewards Points: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
This is the alternative power forum section not the Canadian section right? Ok, good. Pvc can be buried in insulation all day and night. DC current conductors coming from solar panels must be in metal conduit once inside the interior of a building. I have no idea if the inside core of an exterior block wall is considered interior or exterior. This is my coup to restore the sovereignty of this forum!
the OP is from Canada, so our superior code rules apply
__________________
Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.
wcord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Senile Member
 
macmikeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 20,504
Rewards Points: 3,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
the OP is from Canada, so our superior code rules apply
macmikeman, welcome to the New World Order!. It only gets better and better
__________________
“That all changes—starting right here and right now.” Jan. 20 “will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again.” Donald Trump
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
aDudeInPhx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: phx Az
Posts: 294
Rewards Points: 262
Default

I have done a lot of outside piping of interior walls, so my experience is completely opposite from what would not not help you here.
__________________
.
.
.
aDudeInPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paging the Conduit Whisperer A Little Short Commercial Electrical Forum 21 07-13-2016 01:11 PM
Conduit fill for water feature fountain Sprink General Electrical Discussion 3 04-27-2016 07:03 PM
splicing service conductors Suncoast Power General Electrical Discussion 12 04-27-2016 06:50 PM
Getting the most from an existing U/G conduit Gaussios Residential Electrical Forum 16 04-25-2016 10:11 PM
locating conduit or LV cable behind wall or missing conduit end? lortech Structured Wiring 3 01-18-2016 12:35 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com