Solar training international - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Alternative Energy Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kg7879
  • 1 Post By backstay
  • 1 Post By Switched

Old 06-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,048
Default Solar training international

Has anybody heard of these guys and do they offer good training for installs?

I emailed Mike Holts office and he said they were the best but I would like to get some other opinions as well.

Edit: Solar Energy International is the correct name.
nom-board likes this.
kg7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kg7879 For This Useful Post:
nom-board (06-11-2016)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 9,014

Most guys would go by anything Mike says.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #3

I trust Mike, I was just wondering if anybody had any other opinions.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:37 AM   #4
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 518

In a fast changing technical field, training usually lags behind. It's hard to keep training material ahead of the changes. The NEC is a prime example.
nom-board likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to backstay For This Useful Post:
nom-board (06-11-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post
In a fast changing technical field, training usually lags behind. It's hard to keep training material ahead of the changes. The NEC is a prime example.
Thanks. After looking at this Alt section it appears you are one of the go to guys on PV and I wasn't sure if you would respond because of our back and forth in the controversial section.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:38 AM   #6
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg7879 View Post
Thanks. After looking at this Alt section it appears you are one of the go to guys on PV and I wasn't sure if you would respond because of our back and forth in the controversial section.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
You can thank Harry for that. He was a good influence on me.

PV is always moving, changing. I don't even look at micro inverters, it's hard enough to keep abreast of the conventional grid tie and off grid world. The NEC is behind the curve on PV. I remember a class I took years ago(10)at a national convention in San Diego. It was on grounding. The instructor worked for a panel manufacturer and went around the country fixing botched installs(grounding wise). The stuff he talked about then is just coming into the NEC now.
The Following User Says Thank You to backstay For This Useful Post:
nom-board (06-11-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post
You can thank Harry for that. He was a good influence on me.

PV is always moving, changing. I don't even look at micro inverters, it's hard enough to keep abreast of the conventional grid tie and off grid world. The NEC is behind the curve on PV. I remember a class I took years ago(10)at a national convention in San Diego. It was on grounding. The instructor worked for a panel manufacturer and went around the country fixing botched installs(grounding wise). The stuff he talked about then is just coming into the NEC now.
Harry was a stand up guy and I agree he was a good influence. You could argue with him all day long in the controversial section but once you needed a question asked he wouldn't hold a grudge or try to put you down.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 88

With Sunpreme GxB 310 sm or the Gxb 370 sm., you have glass on glass and they are optimized by Tigo. The strings can be much longer since voltages do not need to be adjusted due to temp. Since the school claims to be international they need to teach more then what is in the NEC. NABCEP accreditation is good for installers but a ABET is much better for a solar electricians who want to compete in a global market. Even here to go to micro-grids to high voltage as to sell to utilities it is more then the NEC codes. The School nevertheless is likely a good entry point. There are however many jurisdictions and agencies. Fire codes vary for types of roofs. Most of the inverters here in the USA are preset in order to be approved for use by UL. While manufactures make turn key models that can be set for the country you may want to do business with. And there is the biggest problem that a contractor is license in one state but it is not a national or an international license.
nom-board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
NRA Member

Selling high voltage to the utilities? I don't think that's what he was looking at. Or for that matter, doing global installs.

Last edited by backstay; 06-11-2016 at 08:48 AM.
backstay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

Default Just a comment on name

Yes , you are right. Most of us remain in a certain area that we know. Most electrician will most likely be residential and commercial or industrial. But the school also promotes the idea of working on the supply side. It teaches classes in Spanish as well. The electrical companies want to keep making money so a lot of project are for them. I thought it to be a shame that we have exported so many jobs overseas. With recent treaties on reducing CO2 emission and reducing global warming we should not leave it up to the Europeans or the Chinese to totally control the markets. So considering companies like South Wire or ABB they offer products for a wide range of markets here and internationally. The United States enters into free trade agreements which leave but small on midsize companies are hurt. We must meet the the needs of having clean water. Sandi Electric Company makes a pump inverter without the need for battery back up or being grid tied from 1500 watts to 110 kilowatts. We live on a planet that has plenty of water and for thousands of years the deserts have been increasing. I mean this as a technical question and not a political one.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

I personally admire some of the Lumos patio coverings. Solar needs come in all sizes. Yes many people would just like to turn on a switch and have light. The School would provide the basis for installation, and there are plenty of solar design tools on the internet.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #12

There was a reason why I mention the Sunpreme GXB 310 sm being that the Isc is 10amps. With the code being behind the curve one would find that figuring the OCPD would be a problem since the modules are listed at the max fuse size of 15amps. If we take 10 amps x1.25x1.25 = 15.6 and we might conclude that we fail meeting article215.3. While it is the optimizer which allows us to use the 100% over 80% so NEC 210.19, 210.20,215.2 and 230.42 should be understood that some components are rated at 100% not 80%. The Sunpreme GxB 310 sl does not have the tigo optimizer so it has a Isc of 9.3 amps. So that 9.3 amps x 1.25x 1.25= 14.508 amps yet the difference is the optimizer. Now it may take a wet stamp to show the city inspectors but here is why it makes a difference. Electrical companies are chargeing more for each kilowatt installed for net metering so the more efficiency the better. Hyper X2 from SolarHome is doing the same type of installs.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,504

nom-board likes this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Switched For This Useful Post:
nom-board (06-11-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #14

Well, dealing with a optimizer isn't always better covered under NEC 69.8(B) (2). It is not only my problem but many of the www.SolarDesignTools.com input the max continues current as the Isc. Solaredge has some additional information and makes both inverters and optomizers. I like to have other options as well for inverters and MPP tracking.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:26 AM   #15

Default the net

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg7879 View Post
Has anybody heard of these guys and do they offer good training for installs?

I emailed Mike Holts office and he said they were the best but I would like to get some other opinions as well.

Edit: Solar Energy International is the correct name.
Start out with the basics, ohms law and Kirchoffs Circuit law as found at www.electronics-tuturials.ws. Select a location were you might want to install, Then try www.nrel.gov/pv watts.php. Determine your needs per year. Try useing some of the tools such at www.solaredge.com go to products scroll down to installer tools. With this information I hope that you can see that there are changes sf output with temperature. Go to data sheets on modules to find the temperature co-efficients to determine the record high and low for the installation. With everything I said you will still need to go to batteryuniverssity.com. The real advantage of a school is working as a team. I think that you would not be on this site unless you already had experience bending conduit and with grounding. Refer to www.nabcep.org for more information on on entry level and certification. Please read the handbook on certification requirements the school covers the basics but you will need years of related experience and at least 3 installations were you were in charge of to get certified.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:38 AM   #16

Fornius might be a better choice for starting, at selecting modules and string size then solaredge.Tigo offers dredit classes for NABCEB or CEC, without the cost of paying a hugh tuition. Besides the ten hours of OSHA training all electrician should keep up their first aid though the red cross. BE SAFE!!!