Three phase solar install - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Alternative Energy Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By backstay

Old 06-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Three phase solar install

I'm installing a three phase 132 kW solar system. I am used to installing single phase systems. I will be using a utility side splice. Do the wires need to run through the CT Donuts and if so does the direction reverse because we are creating electricity and not using it? Thank you.
trey963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 1,396

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey963 View Post
I'm installing a three phase 132 kW solar system. I am used to installing single phase systems. I will be using a utility side splice. Do the wires need to run through the CT Donuts and if so does the direction reverse because we are creating electricity and not using it? Thank you.
You would connect after the CTs. Then the power would get metered if it went to the utility and not if it was owner used. But, do you need a meter befor the connection for any reason?
Old 06-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I have to go before the meter because the way the service is set up the utility power comes into a large box then to the CT cabinet. And there is and extra lug space in this box before the box. So I plan to come out of that and set a 400 A panel board and seven seperate breakers for each of the seven inverters. Unfortunately there is what I see to be no way to tap into the electrical system after the CT cabinet. It's such a large system for us I just want any input I can. We typically stay 30 kW and below and single phase.
trey963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey963 View Post
I have to go before the meter because the way the service is set up the utility power comes into a large box then to the CT cabinet. And there is and extra lug space in this box before the box. So I plan to come out of that and set a 400 A panel board and seven seperate breakers for each of the seven inverters. Unfortunately there is what I see to be no way to tap into the electrical system after the CT cabinet. It's such a large system for us I just want any input I can. We typically stay 30 kW and below and single phase.
I would say a second CT cabinet then. Into it(CTs) then to this large box.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 24

Curious for a bit more info if you don't mind. What is your service voltage? Or how many amps is your total over current. Typically we tap the buss between the CT and the main if the service isn't large enough. I don't know what your utility stance is but every utility I have dealt with requires a visibly open. So your tap would make its first stop at a knife disco then hit your combiner panel. Without a variance approval (never gotten one) our local utilities (PGE, SCE, TID, MID) will not allow you to tap behind a sealed cover.
We have tapped some really tight services but they are typically when the meter/CT are in the same cabinet as the main so there is a very small window of opportunity. If the CT cabinet is side by side with the cab the main is in it has always been a real easy tie in aside from having to arrange a temporary shut down with the utility.

Depending on what the make of the service is, buss amps, main amps you might be able to lug or breaker on after the main but you will still need the visible open. Have more info/service pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
NRA Member

Going befor the CTs means unmetered. Not much pay back that way, plus you pay the PoCo for what solar you make and use. The CTs we use around here don't have wires going through them. They have a buss bar through them. So running some backwards isn't an option.
teejayshelton likes this.