Bidding a Hotel for the First Time - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By ChunkyDrummer
  • 1 Post By active1
  • 2 Post By active1
  • 2 Post By Signal1
  • 1 Post By 99cents

Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36
Default Bidding a Hotel for the First Time

My company wants to go after a hotel that is being built in our area. We've never done a hotel but we have a great relationship with the GC and can't really say no. I've bid huge condo/appartment buildings before but never a hotel. I'm sure there are some hotel specific things that will bite me in the ass. Naturally I will read every spec section there is but there are always some job specific things that never seem to be addressed in the specs.
Any tips or suggestions? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
Byte likes this.
ChunkyDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 272

I've never done a hotel either. But, a couple of things that come to mind are, the service/switch gear will be bigger than you are accustomed to, and you will need to allow for the time and method to get material to the upper floors. Something like a high reach forklift.
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 7,286

Wood frame?

It's not a far reach from an apartment building. Rooms are easy to wire and become cookie cutter after a few. Distribution panels are in the hallways rather than individual rooms. Restaurant? Pool?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Wood frame?

It's not a far reach from an apartment building. Rooms are easy to wire and become cookie cutter after a few. Distribution panels are in the hallways rather than individual rooms. Restaurant? Pool?
Vegas you don't see panels in the public corridors much. Which is good. The bad is they could be a good walk away. In the basement, rooftop, mechanical level, electrical room, substation. Once a wile you see engineers going electrical room to electrical room, panel after panel looking for that 1 tripped breaker. At times it could take an hour to locate a tripped breaker in some areas.

The Palazzo has an electrical panel in every suite, over 3,000 rooms. It's hidden behind a large heavy mirror in each room entry way. The bottom of the mirror needs tool to unlock. Much better setup as you didn't have to go hunting for the panel and breaker.They forgot to GFI protect 1 of the bathroom receptacles.... In 3,068 rooms. Inspectors didn't catch it until 5 years after it opened. The closet lights weren't compliant either.

Fire ratings. Fire blocks, pads, fire caulk. They may spec a particular brand. Stuff is expensive. Goes fast. Inspectors love to find spots missing.

Egress signs. Make sure the lighting will not obstruct view down the hall.
splatz likes this.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to active1 For This Useful Post:
splatz (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Petulant Amateur

The hotels I have done were four storey Best Western types. Panels were in hallway closets. I can't imagine a 3000 room hotel. We aren't exactly a tourist destination . We have a big mall all the out of town redneck families visit.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
The hotels I have done were four storey Best Western types. Panels were in hallway closets. I can't imagine a 3000 room hotel. We aren't exactly a tourist destination . We have a big mall all the out of town redneck families visit.
Total rooms on the property was actually 7,048 (Venetian, Venecia, & Palazzo. They combined some of the top floor rooms into 4,000 sf high roller rooms. Except when they were doing demo for that a PM made a mistake and demoed too many rooms. They just covered it up by making it a permanent store room, with a view.

Remodeling the rooms they didn't install the correct color GFCIs in the Venetian. Dang ivory / almond thing. They had pallets of GFIs that were new, installed, then changed out for the correct color.

I used to have it down with where to go and what days to schedule the night work. Certain nights of the week at this time the go-go dancers would take a break outside this substation. Clubs would rotate nights open so we would set up outside our work area about an hour before opening to see the laddies line up. Pool deck nights in the summer. Bottom of the escalator was a good place to see em land at the end of the night.

We would keep track of who got hit on the most for the night. I did pretty good. Hookers counted. McDonalds had the cheap ones. They used to have a guy we would call "kick me in the sack guy", he made a living by letting people take a crack at him. He always asked for $20. But you could talk him down. We had a 4 kicks for $40 one night. The morning Metro would be hauling away the working women that didn't have a agreement with security.

It was all fun till everyone wanted to get some dirt on the other.
99cents and splatz like this.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by active1 View Post
Total rooms on the property was actually 7,048 (Venetian, Venecia, & Palazzo. They combined some of the top floor rooms into 4,000 sf high roller rooms. Except when they were doing demo for that a PM made a mistake and demoed too many rooms. They just covered it up by making it a permanent store room, with a view.

Remodeling the rooms they didn't install the correct color GFCIs in the Venetian. Dang ivory / almond thing. They had pallets of GFIs that were new, installed, then changed out for the correct color.

I used to have it down with where to go and what days to schedule the night work. Certain nights of the week at this time the go-go dancers would take a break outside this substation. Clubs would rotate nights open so we would set up outside our work area about an hour before opening to see the laddies line up. Pool deck nights in the summer. Bottom of the escalator was a good place to see em land at the end of the night.

We would keep track of who got hit on the most for the night. I did pretty good. Hookers counted. McDonalds had the cheap ones. They used to have a guy we would call "kick me in the sack guy", he made a living by letting people take a crack at him. He always asked for $20. But you could talk him down. We had a 4 kicks for $40 one night. The morning Metro would be hauling away the working women that didn't have a agreement with security.

It was all fun till everyone wanted to get some dirt on the other.
Most people who live in Massachusetts want to get the f#ck out of here. I always wanted to be an electrician in Vegas.
99cents and splatz like this.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #8

Good, you can buy my house, $300k.
T-shirt weather last week.
Except 357 has had almost 1,000 on book 1 for a long time.
Lots of big projects on hold. Fountain Blue, World Resorts, Fariday Car factory, Raiders Stadium (maybe).
The only major work is solar farms and shows.
Shows for me, setting up for ConEx next month.
It was either that or working at the Nevada Test Site.
That place is a long drive.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by active1 View Post
Good, you can buy my house, $300k.
T-shirt weather last week.
Except 357 has had almost 1,000 on book 1 for a long time.
Lots of big projects on hold. Fountain Blue, World Resorts, Fariday Car factory, Raiders Stadium (maybe).
The only major work is solar farms and shows.
Shows for me, setting up for ConEx next month.
It was either that or working at the Nevada Test Site.
That place is a long drive.
But the hockey gods have blessed you with immense favour and you will be able to witness displays of incredible athletic prowess. Except when Vancouver comes to town. That will be a complete beatdown. The Canucks are pathetic.
active1 likes this.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,776

Quote:
But the hockey gods have blessed you with immense favour and you will be able to witness displays of incredible athletic prowess. Except when Vancouver comes to town. That will be a complete beatdown. The Canucks are pathetic.
Ah is that where they go while waiting for an early golf season open
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:27 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 52

I have worked on 2 hotels. I was not the bidder but I do recall a couple mistakes that came up, forgot to multiply the lighting by floors on common floor drawing. The Panels were in closets in middle of the l shaped corridor along with the F/A Nac Panels. In addition to the General F/A each unit had local smoke detectors.
tommydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #12

Just like any other job there may be mistakes in the drawings that are not compliant.
Ice machine disconects forgotten, X every floor.
Lighting and power too close to the pools.
No GFCI rec near rooftop equipment.
No GFCI protection in areas that require like kitchens.
Not enough clearance around electrical panels.
More exit signs required.
Emergency lighting not adequate.
F/A strobes view blocked.

The guest rooms arev the easiest part.
Then break it down to kitchens, elevators, offices, convention space, parking garage, etc.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 19,458

Never worked on a new one going up but I've done work in some Hiltons and Hampton Inns. Just a lot of walking like mall work.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #14
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 404

what brand/ how many floors/rooms

someone might be able to help you with more specifics, although a lot of good posts above.

saving money on alum feeders, cheaper panel guts comes to mind.

increasing conductor sizes for long ckts (parking lots) easily missed.

handicap room stuff not big but easily missed.

our biggest problems were field layout (getting the exact correct furniture layout and desired heights and locations for devices) and preventing field change orders/backcharges. the bids were fairly straight forward.

Last edited by wildleg; 02-13-2017 at 05:44 PM.
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #15

Correct room device layout is essential. With different layouts depending how they plan on furnishing. It's easy to loose track what floor or room your in or what room gets what layout. They want everything to fit around the furniture just right. In remodels when the furniture changes so do the device locations.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:12 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 52

we had our stuff prefabbed from AFC systems I believe I do not know all the details, but when it arrived each room was in a seperate box with all boxes, and whips along with individual plans per room number. I beleive the only wire that we had to pulll that was not in he set was the feeds to the deck box. Is it a poured deck where you can get a lot of your runs in the deck. I line bus ducts were also used to feed the riser of electrical rooms. May not be in specs to use Aluminum feeders, but upsizing your homeruns may be a good idea as far as long term efficiency.
tommydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 12

Make sure you get the final electrical design- layout or some call it ID Plans,

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
freefreeqaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 816

Quote:
You could say the same about any other team. One thing true though is that hockey sucks. What a joke that over half of the teams make the playoffs. There is a waste of time. Vegas would be better off with a football and baseball team.
Byte is offline   Reply With Quote