CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Bonding/Grounding yellow flexible gas line???

Has anyone had any experience in having to bond the yellow flexible gas line to the electrical ground???? I had a call from my plumber buddy today asking if we could bond his gas lines on the roof of a commercial building. I know you have to bond with a ground clamp each section of flex line that is broken by a fitting but i am not sure what size wire we need and if we can just take it to a grounding conductor in a nearby circuit or if we need to take it all the way back to the grounding electrode??

Thx for the help guys!

abond82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You will have to install it per manufactors instructions. Ask your buddy for the instructions all the info you will need is on there.

william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #3

Instructions on what???? the spool of flex gas line? didnt think it came with instructions.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abond82 View Post
Instructions on what???? the spool of flex gas line? didnt think it came with instructions.
The instructions on the CSST gas pipe.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #5

OK?????

have you ever done this before? We dont have instructions for the gas line.....
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
OK?????

have you ever done this before? We dont have instructions for the gas line.....
I bet I have seen instructions for CSST about 150 to 200 times. The inspector won't ask for them?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
976-EVIL

Quote:
Has anyone had any experience in having to bond the yellow flexible gas line to the electrical ground???? I had a call from my plumber buddy today asking if we could bond his gas lines on the roof of a commercial building. I know you have to bond with a ground clamp each section of flex line that is broken by a fitting but i am not sure what size wire we need and if we can just take it to a grounding conductor in a nearby circuit or if we need to take it all the way back to the grounding electrode??

Thx for the help guys!
If it's black iron, it's considered bonded by the EGC. But if there's any CSST on the whole job, even a short piece somewhere, it requires a #6 bond to the service panel or subpanel. The bond should be within 5' of the pipe entering the building. You do not have to bond each flexible piece of CSST. In fact, you NEVER put a clamp on the CSST. It goes on the black pipe. A #6 will pass inpection in 99% of places and manufacturers. However, one manufacturer (I think wardflex) demands a bond to be the same size as the GEC, I got caught on that one time, and had to change a #6 bond to a #4 bond (200 amp service)
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
However, one manufacturer (I think wardflex) demands a bond to be the same size as the GEC, I got caught on that one time, and had to change a #6 bond to a #4 bond (200 amp service)
He is doing it on a commercial building this wire could end up being pretty big. The wire doesn't have to go back within 5'. You can hit it any where there is ridged gas pipe or you can hit the manifold.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
976-EVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
He is doing it on a commercial building this wire could end up being pretty big. The wire doesn't have to go back within 5'. You can hit it any where there is ridged gas pipe or you can hit the manifold.

I've had more than one inpsector ask for the bond to be within 5' and yes, on a big service, with wardflex CSST, it would be a big bond.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
I've had more than one inpsector ask for the bond to be within 5' and yes, on a big service, with wardflex CSST, it would be a big bond.
Did he tell you why he was wanting it within 5'? I'm just wondering thats all. I might be wrong, but I don't think it does maybe Dennis will look at this thread I believe he does alot of house's.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
976-EVIL

Quote:
Did he tell you why he was wanting it within 5'? I'm just wondering thats all. I might be wrong, but I don't think it does maybe Dennis will look at this thread I believe he does alot of house's.

He basically said so peolle will know it's there. I actually don't think the 5 foot rule is written anywhere, merely copying the GEC rule. A bond anywhere IMO would be fine. But, it is required to be accessible, so right where the pipe goes through the wall usullally works good.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #12

I just found an interesting web site.

It states that per NEC you look at 250.104 (B). this talks about "other metal piping". This says that you have to bond the piping per the size ground that is supplying the circuit that could energize the pipe.

You guys are both correct though in the fact that the #6 is the new standard that will probably be adopted to NEC and is what the manufacturers recommend

Now in my case the main gas line is black iron but on the roof it changes to flex to feed the Heat units. Do I only need to bond the main gas line at the service with a #6 or whatever size the GEC is?
Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,088

Some manufacturers require a #6 bond back to the service while others require you to use T.250.66 to size it. The clamp cannot be attached to the yellow pipe but rather to the brass fittings that connect the pipes.

Usually we have a short section of black iron and the other pipe is connected to that. In that case I have connected to the black pipe.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
976-EVIL

Quote:
I just found an interesting web site.

It states that per NEC you look at 250.104 (B). this talks about "other metal piping". This says that you have to bond the piping per the size ground that is supplying the circuit that could energize the pipe.

You guys are both correct though in the fact that the #6 is the new standard that will probably be adopted to NEC and is what the manufacturers recommend

Now in my case the main gas line is black iron but on the roof it changes to flex to feed the Heat units. Do I only need to bond the main gas line at the service with a #6 or whatever size the GEC is?

99.9 % of the time, a #6 is all you need. There is only one man. (that I know of) that requires the bond to be the same size as the GEC. Bond the black pipe to the service with a #6 is all you need. The NEC has not adopted the yet. The 2006 IRC has already adopted it. That's how it's enforced here. The USBC is next in line to adopt it on there next cycle. They both mandate a #6.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #15

I knew you would show up Dennis.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #16
Registered Member

Honestly, I have never had to bond any CSST. But If I were to be charged with the task of bonding such a system effectively, I think I would stick a country clamp on each piece of black pipe where the CSST terminated, and run a #6 between each fitting and eventually back to a panel, or building steel, or a copper water line, in a commercial setting.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Honestly, I have never had to bond any CSST. But If I were to be charged with the task of bonding such a system effectively, I think I would stick a country clamp on each piece of black pipe where the CSST terminated, and run a #6 between each fitting and eventually back to a panel, or building steel, or a copper water line, in a commercial setting.
How would you make any money doing all of that? I don't think you would win the bid.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
How would you make any money doing all of that? I don't think you would win the bid.
Well, if they wanted it done, they will have to pay for it. Otherwise I just keep on keepin' on. I don't bond or touch any gas line unless it is required by local code for me to do something special to it. One single piece of #6 run through a building hitting bond clamps at various CSST terminations, would likely be relatively inexpensive.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Well, if they wanted it done, they will have to pay for it. Otherwise I just keep on keepin' on. I don't bond or touch any gas line unless it is required by local code for me to do something special to it. One single piece of #6 run through a building hitting bond clamps at various CSST terminations, would likely be relatively inexpensive.
On some of the houses around here those that wire houses where charging $200 to bond the gas pipe. Not me.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,008

??? Just a thought, As soon as you plug in or wire any gas appliance,Isn't it bonded?
I have never been asked or questioned about it.

250.104(2)B. .. (Para phrase) The bond Jumper to be sized to the ckt that is "Likely to energize the piping system".
"The equipment grounding conductor for the ckt that is likely to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The point of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible."

What is the ckt most likely to energize the equipment?

leland is online now   Reply With Quote