Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Default CA general electrician exam, what NEC code book?

Hello,

I am an electrician in the UK, I will be moving to California in June/July 2012 and taking the CA general electrician exam. Can someone please tell me what NEC book I can expect to be taking the exam on?

I am in the process of trying to find some study materials and want to make sure I order the correct NEC book.

Many Thanks

Chris

Pacific81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific81 View Post
Hello,

I am an electrician in the UK, I will be moving to California in June/July 2012 and taking the CA general electrician exam. Can someone please tell me what NEC book I can expect to be taking the exam on?

I am in the process of trying to find some study materials and want to make sure I order the correct NEC book.

Many Thanks

Chris
There using the 2008 http://www.dir.ca.gov/das/electricaltrade.htm

dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #3

Thank you, I checked the DAS website and saw that but I also saw this:
Mike Holt Electrical Licensing Boards

www.mikeholt.com/statelicense.php - CachedSimilar
As of Jan 1, 2012 test candidates will be tested on the 2011 NEC. .... License Reciprocity: California State Contractor's Board, the Nevada State License .... •on-the-job experience, as follows: General Electrician: 8000 hours of work for a C-10 ..... Certification exam is offered in two parts: Both parts are open-book exams. ...

I guess I should call them and check

Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #4

Where in CA are you moving too?
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific81
Hello,

Many Thanks

Chris
You won't be able to take any exams, whether for licensure or just certification until you have 2,000 (I believe) hours as a journeyman verified by an employer (for certification) or 4,000 hours verified for a license. You're gonna just have to get a job with someone for a few years.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
I saw a guy do it once.

It's on the 2008 NEC.
SparkYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Premium Member

Samir Nasri just got transfered to manchester City ! What's your team ?
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #8

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I will be moving to San Diego, I lived there back in 2006 for a year and a half, that's where I met my wife, we have been living in the UK for the past 3 years.

I spoke to the DAS and they have said if I get my current employer in the UK to verify I have 8000 hours in the required fields I can take the exam. I was thinking about ordering some study materials from Mike Holt!

Dronai, I don't really follow football (strange I know) most of my mates follow Man U, they had a really good game against Arsenal the other day 8-2!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific81 View Post
I will be moving to San Diego
At least you're moving to one of the best parts of the state.

knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote