CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #1

Default Class II Division 2

I am having a little trouble with article 502. Can I install a dust tight (nema 4X) junction box for splices? I understand it that the box needs threaded hubs to enclose a splice. But others are telling me splices can be made in the 4X enclosure. BTW this is group F.

dawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
animal lover /rat bastard

Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

I believe that is correct. 502.10 B 4. The assumption is that group F is correct. there are several articles that say that if other dusts are present that the box has to be listed for div 2 (its good to read thru the whole thing a few times)

As President Roosevelt said: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And Chuck Norris. And 滿口胡言. And Grabthar's hammer. And Gort. and 江南 Style. and rotting in the street and Zombies . . . and Wayne Griffen "
wildleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #3

i agree with wildleg. if you look in a hoffman book under hazerdous locations it states that cl 2 div 2 nema type 3, 4, 4x, 12, 12k, and 13 are considered dust tight
edginter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #4

This is the way I interpret the code, but I also think a gasketed, malleable, form 35 Appleton conduit fitting is dust tight. Let me know what you think?
RARJ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
WMF

Question Class II Div II recep's in cabinet shops

I've been reading a lot on article 502-115 &502-145, and speaking to the local authorities on the requirement for receptacles around wood working equipment. The shop in question has a very large dust collection system, and a standard cleaning system in place. The owner has paid an engineer to decide what classification it will be. They are calling it Class II Div II group G, My question is do I have to use explosion proof receptacle or do they make something more affordable to the owner. I plan on hardwiring most of the equipment but you still have general use receptacles thru out the shop. And being that it is a shop and you are standing on concrete do they need to be GFI.
WMF is offline   Reply With Quote