CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000
Default Class II Division I???

I've got some sealtite connectors I want to be able to bury. On the box it says they're suitable for class 1 division 2, class 2 division 1, and class 2 division 3. Are these suitable for burial? Where in the code book can I find the information pertaining to these classes and divisions so I know where to find the information?

gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Class I is 501 and Class II is 502
Class I is liquids and vapors and Class II is dust
Division I is “it is there” and Division II is “it could be there”

Liquidtight flexible metal conduit is found in Article 350

350.42 Couplings and Connectors.
Angle connectors shall not be used for concealed raceway installations.

jwelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
nap
a real PITA

Rewards Points: 500

code also states that when installing LFMC for direct burial it must be listed for the use. I would believe the connectors must meet the same requirement.

I have never checked any of the LFMC to see if it was listed or not. Just never thought it was a good idea to bury the stuff.

You might check with the manufacturers website.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #4

I was told that the LFMC is listed for burial but the question was about the couplings. I'll check those references, thanks!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #5

Ok I read up 350 and on 350.42 it says that "Angle connectors shall not be used for concealed raceway installations." But it doesn't say anything about direct burial. But in 350.10 it says that LFMC is suitable for direct burial. Does this mean that the connectors for LFMC should also be suitable for direct burial, except angle connectors?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
I've got some sealtite connectors I want to be able to bury. On the box it says they're suitable for class 1 division 2, class 2 division 1, and class 2 division 3. Are these suitable for burial? Where in the code book can I find the information pertaining to these classes and divisions so I know where to find the information?

If they are approved for Direct Burial they will say Direct burial on the fitting.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #7

Sounds good, thank you much.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
nap
a real PITA

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Ok I read up 350 and on 350.42 it says that "Angle connectors shall not be used for concealed raceway installations." But it doesn't say anything about direct burial. But in 350.10 it says that LFMC is suitable for direct burial. Does this mean that the connectors for LFMC should also be suitable for direct burial, except angle connectors?
It says LFMC is approved for direct burial IF it is listed and marked for the purpose. I would assume from that that not all LFMC is listed for direct burial. It is up to the manufacturer to have it tested and listed for direct burial.

So, does your LFMC have "approved for direct burial" or at least "direct burial" printed on it? If not, your LFMC is not approved for direct burial.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #9

Yes the LFMC is direct burial.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Yes the LFMC is direct burial.

If the flex and fittings are listed printed on the flex and fittings for Direct Burial you shouldn't have a problem.

What is up with your original question are you talking about hazardous locations?
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #11

I haven't done much with hazardous locations things, so on the box of the connectors it said it was listed for class 1 division 2, class 2 division 1 and class 2 division 3. I was thinking that one of those classes had something to do with direct burial guidelines so that's where that came from.

Hey ya learn something new everyday, that's why I read these forums.