CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Conduit Seals in Hazardous Location

Having to break some seals and add additional wire. Also having to run new conduit and wire from some new buckets. Is there a particular color or colors that the seals should be painted once re poured. Also is there anything involving using conduit seals in seal tight conduit. Thanks,

KevinKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What are you wiring? Check the listing of the conduit seals before adding more wire, they don't have standard conduit fill. There are listed (very pricey) flexible raceways for hazardous locations.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

Fill is fine had it checked and ok'ed by engineering and a professional PE stamp on it. Just need to know if any color or certain colors can be used.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 154

My question is how are you going to get more wire in a packed and poured seal?
Nick0danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 154

Sealing compound comes with metal band you place around the seal. Some plants I've been on have you spray paint them as well.
Nick0danger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick0danger For This Useful Post:
denny3992 (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Make sure your seal off is before the seal tight. So if you are running to an instrument for instance have the seal off right at the instrument then run seal tight from there. Of course if you are in a class 1 div. 1 location you are not permitted to use seal tight.
buddhakii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #7

Just notice you work for Kinder Morgan. My guess is you are in a class 1 div. 1 location so you will need some rigid flexible couplings.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help and replies. My main question is that we normally use black to paint our seals, I was wondering if there is a specific color you must use i.e. black, or if I could use another color say yellow. Trying to find out what the code says about painting conduit seals. I have some in a dark locations basements etc..., usuing a lighter color would help to show them better. Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinKM View Post
Thanks for all the help and replies. My main question is that we normally use black to paint our seals, I was wondering if there is a specific color you must use i.e. black, or if I could use another color say yellow. Trying to find out what the code says about painting conduit seals. I have some in a dark locations basements etc..., usuing a lighter color would help to show them better. Thanks
Usually client specs will dictate the paint color... Some use red glyptal or flourescent green, lots use an "X" with a sparpie, with the "\" being packed and "X" being poured. One client I am working with wants to get lamacoids and tyrap them to the seals..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0danger View Post
My question is how are you going to get more wire in a packed and poured seal?
I am assuming they will be trying to cut the seal, split it off and remove the chico without damaging the wires, then installing a split seal once the new wires are pulled...

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...gfittings.html
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
..........then installing a split seal once the new wires are pulled...

Thanks. Never seen one of those before.
big2bird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big2bird For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (10-15-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
I am assuming they will be trying to cut the seal, split it off and remove the chico without damaging the wires, then installing a split seal once the new wires are pulled...

I bet those are some pricey gadgets. Looks like they would work great in this situation though.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971

That'll be an hour of time never gotten back.... Sounds like fun splitting a sealoff.... Not on my list of things i need to do!
denny3992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny3992 View Post
That'll be an hour of time never gotten back.... Sounds like fun splitting a sealoff.... Not on my list of things i need to do!
Never?? I've had to bust seals a few times to add wires, cuz some green electrician doesn't understand about pouring seals AFTER commissioning... And you have to add wires to a system.. Or what about if someone didn't install a drain seal on a vertical run and the area classification seal splits cuz of water inside and the inspector wants it fixed? Got a better way, or just leave it?

It does take time, but it is definately not the worst job out there...
Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhakii View Post
I bet those are some pricey gadgets. Looks like they would work great in this situation though.
Price is only one side.. Delivery, I believe, is factory order, so they are about 2 weeks...