CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 05-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Default flammable storage locker grounding

Does the NEC require those yellow, steel flammable storage lockers to be grounded or bonded to the electrical systems grounding system?

Electron_Sam78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

NEC, Nope. NFPA and OSHA do.....

Old 05-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmohl View Post
NEC, Nope. NFPA and OSHA do.....
Can you cite the rules that require the storage cabinet to be bonded?
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #4

I just did an Internet search on the subject and found an FAQ under NFPA 30 and found this:

Some flammable liquids storage cabinets have a grounding screw. Is the cabinet required to be electrically grounded? NFPA 30 does not require that the cabinet itself be grounded. Many manufacturers provide a grounding screw on their cabinets as a convenience to the user. The user can connect this screw to a building ground and use the cabinet-mounted ground point as needed to ground individual containers from which liquids are dispensed.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

N.ational E.lectrical C.ode or NFPA 70 is concerned with the installation, maintenance, and repair of ELECTRICAL equipment and devices. A metal hazmat storage locker is not by definition ELECTRICAL. NFPA has cognizance for electrical safety as a function of fire safety but has other instructions for hazmat/hazwaste. NFPA 30, flamable and combustable liquids code. Osha has cog on workplace safety standards. 1910.106 covers flam storage.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

I looked up OSHA 1910.106 and the only thing it says about grounding is that class I liquids' dispensers and containers must be eletrically connected when filling
Old 05-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

Yeah, I looked again and didn't see much REQUIRING grounds. I know every Co. I ever worked for including Govt. required storage lockers, wast collection drums, etc.. to be grounded. Op asked if NEC required it. Nope. They don't give a dang about flam lockers....
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #8

Oh, wait, you is the OP!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

So... it looks like the answer is NO. However, if I am storing and working with class I liquids I need to interconnect the dispenser and container when filling. If I am doing this action in the vicinity of the storage locker I can, for convenience sake, connect the locker to a ground and then use the locker as a grounding point for the filling operation.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #10

Sounds good to me. Hand pump, electric pump???
Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #11

Generally, in our flam storage/handling area, we have a copper braid run along the wall. The lockers and such, get a pigtail hardwired to that and hand pumps, drums, etc. get a gator jaw clamp to the braid. braid is terminated with a #6 to a ground rod driven thought the slab into grade.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmohl View Post
Generally, in our flam storage/handling area, we have a copper braid run along the wall. The lockers and such, get a pigtail hardwired to that and hand pumps, drums, etc. get a gator jaw clamp to the braid. braid is terminated with a #6 to a ground rod driven thought the slab into grade.
Sometimes in a flammable marked cabinet you may have a charge build up due to static. All cabinets probably should be connected and then to earth as best you can. Most people know about the possible buildup of electrons when sliding a gasoline can across the bed of a pickup... especially if it is a plastic bed. The same is true in a cabinet. It is all about an environment free of potential difference that could cause an arcing situation.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,066

There is no reason to bond or ground the cabinet. Static is not an issue with closed containers. The only time static is a real issue is when you are transferring flammable liquids from one container to another. In that case you need to bond the two containers together.

don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote