CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Flexible Conduit Inside Wall

Can flexible metal conduit be ran inside of a wall cavity? For example, from a load center up through the top plate and into the attic? 348.10 gives me the impression this is okay.

Alternatively, can liquidtight (either LFNC or LFMC) be ran inside of a wall cavity? 350.10 and 356.10 say it can be used in concealed locations for X reasons.

Thanks in advance!

jamgood96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
I void warranties

Rewards Points: 2,114

As far as I know running FMC in a wall cavity is all good, now the last time I fished a wall was IDK, so I'm not really the best source of info for this.

Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just don't quote me wrong but if I did recall there were one section in the NEC mention LFMC and LFNMC are limited with length.

Unless you snag into Chicago codes they have strict requirment with it.

Merci.
Marc
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Just don't quote me wrong but if I did recall there were one section in the NEC mention LFMC and LFNMC are limited with length.

Unless you snag into Chicago codes they have strict requirment with it.

Merci.
Marc
ONLY when they are used as the EGC, otherwise unlimited length.

Also, your installation is complaint and does NOT need to be secured when fished in a wall.

~Matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
I void warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
In certain situations when used as a EGC, otherwise all good. I almost never use FMC, LMFC, or LFNMC for anything else but short connections to motors, equipment, and switches/instruments.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlarson For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (10-06-2010), John Valdes (10-13-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 06:17 AM   #6
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,062

Just keep in mind that the 360 degrees between pull points rule still applies . That's really easy to exceed with flexible raceways without even realizing it. Keep an eye on what you're doing.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (10-06-2010), jwjrw (10-06-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

...and no concealed angle connectors
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

I like to run smurf tube to the attic, and to the crawl, from the panel, if I ever have the opportunity.

Prevents the wall from having to be opened down the road, just to put in another circuit.

In some situations I'd be sure to duct seal that smurf tube. Don't want cold air meeting moist warm air if you know what I mean.
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
I void warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_elex View Post
I like to run smurf tube to the attic, and to the crawl, from the panel, if I ever have the opportunity.
The last one I did I had some 1 1/4" EMT scrap laying around so I put that in as a future conduit.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
The last one I did I had some 1 1/4" EMT scrap laying around so I put that in as a future conduit.
About once a year, i get a job where the last guy thought about the next guy, me in this case, and had dome something cool like that.

Id just like to find the guy and buy him a case of cold ones. It really makes my day.

Last job that was like that had a 12/3 from the panel - ground and noodle made up, black and red wirenutted in th panel and the other side was stripped and terminated in a 4S in th basement. It was about 8 dollars of material and saved me a huge headache.

~Matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
In some situations I'd be sure to duct seal that smurf tube. Don't want cold air meeting moist warm air if you know what I mean.
Yah. Tornados.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #12
I void warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150 View Post
About once a year, i get a job where the last guy thought about the next guy, me in this case, and had dome something cool like that.
Yeah well when you have spent years fighting minimum installs on service calls you figure out ways to make yours better for your self and the next spark that comes along.

Last edited by Jlarson; 10-13-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
Dr Evil

Rewards Points: 2,212

Quote:

Prevents the wall from having to be opened down the road, just to put in another circuit.

I'm on the same level.......great thing to do.
Shockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
Fried Bologna um um good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
I'm on the same level.......great thing to do.

We usually pull a few up and down for future use......put them in a box and don't terminate them in the panel till needed.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #15
Dr Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
...and no concealed angle connectors
I recently had to snake a #8 thru one of those some hack buried in the wall at the panel. Same hack installed a 100 amp sub panel in PVC/EMT and greenfield thinking the pvc would act as a EGC.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #16
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
I recently had to snake a #8 thru one of those some hack buried in the wall at the panel. Same hack installed a 100 amp sub panel in PVC/EMT and greenfield thinking the pvc would act as a EGC.
I can imagine what your wire looked like when it come thru that connector
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #17
Bababoee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150 View Post

Id just like to find the guy and buy him a case of cold ones. It really makes my day.

Last job that was like that had a 12/3 from the panel - ground and noodle made up, black and red wirenutted in th panel and the other side was stripped and terminated in a 4S in th basement. It was about 8 dollars of material and saved me a huge headache.

~Matt
About a year and a half ago I had a job to add three ceilling lights in three different rooms or a really old home with nasty plaster and lath. When I measured out and started to cut the first ceiling box in Bang, my jab saw hits the origional octagon box in the ceiling covered over with plaster and a blank cover...
..I got so excited that I went into the other rooms and took a closer look at the centers and Voiala...they all had boxes in the ceiling covered over...WTF who covers over center lights...? I told the lady I would pretty much be there all day and I was out in a few hours.....Can anyone tell me when does that EVER happen...?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
Dr Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirk View Post
About a year and a half ago I had a job to add three ceilling lights in three different rooms or a really old home with nasty plaster and lath. When I measured out and started to cut the first ceiling box in Bang, my jab saw hits the origional octagon box in the ceiling covered over with plaster and a blank cover...
..I got so excited that I went into the other rooms and took a closer look at the centers and Voiala...they all had boxes in the ceiling covered over...WTF who covers over center lights...? I told the lady I would pretty much be there all day and I was out in a few hours.....Can anyone tell me when does that EVER happen...?
I had that luck once. That is rare. She must have complemented you on a clean hole free job.