Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

flexible nonmetallic conduit question

48K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  grounditplease 
#1 ·
I hope this is the right forum for this question.

I ran across a job last week where there is quite a bit of flexible nonmetallic conduit in use. It is "carflex" conduit but at every box connection the original installer used pvc fittings instead of compression type connectors to secure the conduit to the box.

The "carflex" is glued into the fittings, everything seems secure even after several years in use and the job looks neat.

It is an electrical contractor who did the work and Im fairly sure this work was inspected by the local authorities as it is in a health care facility.

My question is.... Should this method pass code. I cant find anything that says gluing flexible nonmetallic conduit into pvc conduit fittings is an approved method but after seeing this job...and jobs in the past....and talking to a couple of people this week it seems that, at least in my area, this method is quite popular.

I had to make a few changes to some wiring and in each instance where I removed a piece of the "carflex" I went back with normal carflex connectors.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have done it in the pass before,but not sure if it is legal. I dont see anything wrong with it , also the pvc fittings are a lot less expensive.

for the recoed I only used the pvc fittings because i ran out of carflex connects and the ac man was on the site waiting for me to heat up his condensing units couldnt tell him ill be back in an hour just wait here lol

#4 ·
If you do a bit or research on ENT you will find it is specifically sized to be used with glue type PVC fittings and is listed for that use. My only gripe with glue is the springy nature of the ENT will often pull out of the fittings till the glue sets hard. The good thing is the ENT glues into hubbed boxes for use in concrete and makes a leakproof connection.

#12 ·
If you do a bit or research on ENT you will find it is specifically sized to be used with glue type PVC fittings and is listed for that use. My only gripe with glue is the springy nature of the ENT will often pull out of the fittings till the glue sets hard. The good thing is the ENT glues into hubbed boxes for use in concrete and makes a leakproof connection.

You need the blue glue for ENT. Standard PVC glue is not approved.

#5 ·
Ok..thanks for the replies. I did a little more googling tonight and found that carlon, the maker of carflex, does not recommend using solvent welded fittings with carflex....the all pvc liquid tight flexible conduit...

But it is ok to use regular pvc fittings with ENT or smurf tubing....which I have seen done for years.

I would do it in a pinch if I was in a bind.... I only changed the fittings this time because of the company I work for...they already knew I had to relocate some of the flex conduits and although they was there already I still cut the male adapters off and replaced with a normal carflex connector.

I work with backstabbing clods who might come onto the job behind me and make an issue of the connectors....changing the ones I relocated covers my butt.. so the issue is closed as far as I am concerned...no need to make waves out of the issue...

I dont understand why anyone should have a problem with it... It could probably be a legal means of connection....carflex could approve it as the connections I took apart were solid... but I'd say carflex would never recommend the connection to pvc fittings because a mechanical carflex connector sells for substantially more money that a pvc male adapter....lol

thanks again

#6 ·
..... I'd say carflex would never recommend the connection to pvc fittings because a mechanical carflex connector sells for substantially more money that a pvc male adapter....lol

thanks again
And you have hit the nail right on the head there. Funny thing that Carlon approves their PVC fittings for use with ENT (cheaper stuf) but not for the (more expensive) CarFlex?

In any case, we have used PVC fittings for years with the CarFlex with excellent results.... :rolleyes:

#7 ·
It's never really dawned on me that Carflex was even the right O.D. to work in PVC fittings. I've never really seen it done that way. I've seen them on ENT fittings, but I don't use them on ENT either. I don't really use ENT that much, as far that goes. Anyone know what type of plastic Carflex is?

#8 ·
It's never really dawned on me that Carflex was even the right O.D. to work in PVC fittings. I've never really seen it done that way. I've seen them on ENT fittings, but I don't use them on ENT either. I don't really use ENT that much, as far that goes. Anyone know what type of plastic Carflex is?
Carflex is pvc. 2 types are used, the softer pvc outer covering we see with a more ridgid pvc interior. I believe the ridgid pvs is the white stuff you see when cutting a piece of carflex.

It solvent welds to pvc conduit fittings nicely...The joints I have seen are tight and look like good tight fits.

#9 ·
Any time I've tried to order the more expensive fittings for smurf tube my 2 main suppliers try to down sell me to regular pvc fittings. They tell me they can certainly sell me the more expensive fittings, but "why?". I mostly have gone for the less expensive product and it has never been an issue with the inspectors here. In fact they don't even mention it.

#10 ·
With Carflex and smurf tube I will use what ever fittings are handy. Not to the point of using ABS dwv fittings for switch gear like I have seen in some pics on here.

#16 ·
I used some ENT to run to a receptacle that the homeowner wanted in a vanity drawer. Appearantly she did not want to unplug the hair dryer or curling iron so the receptacle in the drawer was just the thing, leave em plugged in drop em in the drawer and close it up.(wait did I turn off that curling iron???)

#18 ·
To me it screams DIY and home center

:blink: Petey, you gotta get that "blue=home center" thing off the brain. :no:

Ya, Me Too.;)

-wire_twisterI used some ENT to run to a receptacle that the homeowner wanted in a vanity drawer. Appearantly she did not want to unplug the hair dryer or curling iron so the receptacle in the drawer was just the thing, leave em plugged in drop em in the drawer and close it up.(wait did I turn off that curling iron???)
It was secured? right? Or a flex set up?

#21 ·
And as we all know the true "home center" color is orange

Comes in that color, too (and yellow and red - HEY, there's 2 colors of blue). Also comes in gray with colored stripes (different brand):rolleyes:

I've used it in rewiring several houses where running many cables in the walls would have been a real pain. I tend to think of it as custom NM-B with what ever number of conductors I need. 2008 NEC will allow it to be fished like NM-B (ughhhhh, not like that hasn't been done yet in a few places):whistling2:

I also think the stuff is a godsend for slab work. Billions and billions of fittings available (well, a remarkable bunch anyway):eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.