CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 03-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #1

Default Nec 2011 pdf?

Is it trouble to ask for NEC 2011 PDF download link? I feel unfair about that. In my class today, some of us still uses 2008, few of us uses 2011. My instructor mentioned that NEC 2011 book provides free NEC 2011 PDF download. I was like what the heck. It had never happened to NEC 2008 I bought few years ago. Maybe I misunderstood him, but is there possible?

If it's illegal to ask, then my apologizes. Thanks!!!

deafelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

SOME of the new '11 paperback copies have a yellow sticker on them for a 'free' PDF of the '11. But not all, and apparently not any of the spiral-bound or looseleaf versions.

The NFPA, in it's infinite wisdom, has decided that only those select/lucky few are entitled to a PDF.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafelectrician View Post
Is it trouble to ask for NEC 2011 PDF download link? I feel unfair about that. In my class today, some of us still uses 2008, few of us uses 2011. My instructor mentioned that NEC 2011 book provides free NEC 2011 PDF download. I was like what the heck. It had never happened to NEC 2008 I bought few years ago. Maybe I misunderstood him, but is there possible?

If it's illegal to ask, then my apologizes. Thanks!!!
From what i here some of the early 2011 had a free pdf but i could not find it..

It only allows one down load and your name appears at the top of each page...so you will have to buy it.....It's only money..
Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Coaster Sparky

There's a read only format available on NFPA's site, you have to subscribe in order to view it. It's nowhere near as handy as the PDF versions but it's free.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

Yes, my instructor mentioned to find yellow circle stick on the book.

It's new to me about 2011. I was not aware of this. Thank you all for your time to replay this.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, my instructor mentioned to find yellow circle stick on the book.

It's new to me about 2011. I was not aware of this. Thank you all for your time to replay this.

Are you really deaf?
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #7

Yes, I am deaf.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, I am deaf.

I've never met a deaf electrcian. During normal work, how is work ordered to you? Does your boss sign?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #9

same idea concerns about my future with electric company, lol.

I am a full time student for Electrical Technology with AAS degree and graduate this May. I haven't started an electrician job yet but I def. will. I just found out a deaf electrician from Pittsburgh via facebook. I haven't tried ask him yet. I am working to get myself in I.E.C. program Harrisburg chapter. I have trouble to find three references in the order to get in I.E.C. program. Argh.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
same idea concerns about my future with electric company, lol.

I am a full time student for Electrical Technology with AAS degree and graduate this May. I haven't started an electrician job yet but I def. will. I just found out a deaf electrician from Pittsburgh via facebook. I haven't tried ask him yet. I am working to get myself in I.E.C. program Harrisburg chapter. I have trouble to find three references in the order to get in I.E.C. program. Argh.

There are so many small intricate details of our work, you're either gonna have to be REALLY good, or your boss will have to sign some. I think would need your teachers to have the same communication level. You will need to be really determined in what you decide, Good luck.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #11

It appears that the NEC books that were purchased by organizations like the IAEI, IBEW, and other such organizations had the free pdf and those purchased for normal retail sale did not.
don_resqcapt19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
It appears that the NEC books that were purchased by organizations like the IAEI, IBEW, and other such organizations had the free pdf and those purchased for normal retail sale did not.
I bought 2 from the supply house and both had them. One was for work.
pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #13

My instructor told me that 2008 will still be used until 2014 or 2013, I forget. He told me that inspectors and municipalities never adopt the lastest NEC until it is mandatory that they do so. I wouldnt sweat it.
Fiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiki View Post
My instructor told me that 2008 will still be used until 2014 or 2013, I forget. He told me that inspectors and municipalities never adopt the lastest NEC until it is mandatory that they do so. I wouldnt sweat it.
California is a little different in that they have their own codes which are based on the nationaly reconized codes like the NEC. However, they make amendments to each which takes time and legal review before setting in place. Look up Title 24 for reference. I am not sure but at one time Cali was under the UBC and may now be under the ICC. Oh and each county and city may have amendments also so one code does not cover all.

rlc3854 is offline   Reply With Quote