CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 07-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Default NEC Requirement For Lighting in Offices and Hallways

Can anyone help me with the current NEC lighting requirements for general office areas and hallways? My work is trying to find ways to conserve electricity and I think we might be able to take the middle flourescent tube out of the 3-tube fixtures.

Randy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
nap
a real PITA

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy L View Post
Can anyone help me with the current NEC lighting requirements for general office areas and hallways? My work is trying to find ways to conserve electricity and I think we might be able to take the middle flourescent tube out of the 3-tube fixtures.
that isn't a NEC controlled situation. In Michigan, it is the health department for some situations and OSHA (MIOSHA) for others and the local or even state building department for others.

Not sure how many "bosses" there are in other states but the NEC isn't one of them.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Ax grinder

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy L View Post
The illumination requirements for commercial buildings comes from the building codes and energy codes. I would suggest that you contact your local building department to see what your local requirements are.

Chris
raider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 510

Randy, previously you stated in another post that you were at a youth facility. Do you know if they are ACA (American Correctional Association) accredited? If so they have guidelines to follow for certification. However, your state should also have standards set for engery conservation as well.
rlc3854 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

I believe here in the Richmond area it's the same FC's required for egress which falls under our uniform statewide building code, so what has been stated, it's more of a local/state thing. I haven't tried it before but make sure if you remove one tube, the others still burn. Don't remember if the t-8's work the same as the t-12's.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,008

HIT HIM !!!!

OOPS! Wrong thread! Sorry.

Last edited by leland; 07-06-2008 at 11:16 PM.
leland is online now   Reply With Quote