Electrician Talk banner

NFPA NEC online (NFCSS)

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  wendon 
#1 ·
So for a hundred and some odd years the NFPA has been printing codes...and it still exists in print and it is good. You open up a book, check the table of contents or the index...or go straight to a code section and make your reference...and you're done.

Online, the NFPA has found it in their infinite wisdom that the content has to be delivered in bleeding-edge format. Not that the actual PDF's are very different...but in how one gets to them.

I have a subscription to the all-access online content (NFCSS) for the codes. The license is purchased by my work, which is the federal government. I can't access the content half of the god-damned time because they changed the coding on the site...again...and my subscription is basically worthless.

No, NFPA, I cannot get the latest update for Java. My computer is administered by someone else. It takes months or years for the government to review new software releases. Changing your site that often is essentially detrimental to progress.

Java-this, CSS, Silverlight-that, XML, Flash, what-the-f**k-ever...it all comes down to a simple written word f***ing document.

I can't even use the stupid feedback link on the page...just a spinning wheel of death for hours....Loading (a load of crap is what)!

What a waste of time. Anyone else feel this pain? Please...just looking for someone to sympathize with.

:censored::censored::censored:

See less See more
#2 ·
Download the PDF.
Put it on your computer, tablet, and phone. Open with the PDF viewer of your choice.
Profit.

It's really that easy.

I also have all the PDFs (code and otherwise) in Cloud services so I could get to them anytime from anywhere with an internet connection. I wouldn't depend on the NFPA for anything other than being crooked and evil.

#3 · (Edited)
Download the PDF.
Put it on your computer, tablet, and phone. Open with the PDF viewer of your choice.
Profit.

It's really that easy.

I also have all the PDFs (code and otherwise) in Cloud services so I could get to them anytime from anywhere with an internet connection. I wouldn't depend on the NFPA for anything other than being crooked and evil.
Yeah...I can't get to the PDF's at work through their site. I have the codes in PDF anyway (downloaded months ago), but if there are updates I cannot download them at work.

NFPA uses Flash Player 11.1 r102+. I just got off of the phone with the "customer service" rep who doesn't even know WTF Flash is...and that was the "Digital Product" help line. I asked if there was a way for me, with a subscription, to access the content directly without using the stupid flash menu and she said nope...I gotta use the main page menu.

Besides, the full features of the NFCSS goes beyond the simple PDF's of the codes, anyway. there's a viewer, note sections, image pop-ups, and ALL OF THE EXCLUSIVE CONTENT (each handbook with explanatory sections) is ONLY available through the portal. You can't get it in PDF...it has to be used online.

I know...:cry:...right?

#5 ·
Oh...this sh*t is funny. I just got one of those pop-ups from Foresee asking if I wouldn't mind giving my feedback on my experiences with the site...

...how fortuitous, I thought to myself, and said f*ck-yeah, out loud.

The f***ing window won't load for the survey...that's pretty f**king funny right there!

#6 ·
My own private thread...

Okay...I bird-dogged this issue this time...got it.

I will put this here in case that someone else runs into the same issue:

Firefox, apparently, would still load the site although neither IE nor Chrome would.

(Believe it or not the DoD just got Chrome and Firefox late last year. I told you it takes forever to get stuff in the gov't...)

There is a permalink for the site once you are logged in...as in you can bypass the stupid Adobe Flash menu and go to the content pages.

It is no amazement to me that the Digital Content help line didn't know this. I expect payment from the NFPA for solving their problem...I want her paycheck for the day.

This is the permalink (for now):

National Fire Codes Subscription Service All Access

I hope this spiteful diatribe is helpful to someone in the future.

cheers!;)

#7 ·
Okay...I bird-dogged this issue this time...got it.

I will put this here in case that someone else runs into the same issue:

Firefox, apparently, would still load the site although neither IE nor Chrome would.

(Believe it or not the DoD just got Chrome and Firefox late last year. I told you it takes forever to get stuff in the gov't...)

There is a permalink for the site once you are logged in...as in you can bypass the stupid Adobe Flash menu and go to the content pages.

It is no amazement to me that the Digital Content help line didn't know this. I expect payment from the NFPA for solving their problem...I want her paycheck for the day.

This is the permalink (for now):

National Fire Codes Subscription Service All Access

I hope this spiteful diatribe is helpful to someone in the future.

cheers!;)
That link is worthless until you give us your username and password.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.