CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,032
Default TO NY State residential electricians, clarification on AFCI, etc.

This is a cross post from a high up code official in NY State. I am working on getting the documentation on this.

Quote:
NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Division of Code Enforcement and Administration
99 Washington Avenue Albany, New York 12231
Phone no. (518) 474-4073 [Fax] (518) 486-4487

M E M O R A N D U M

DATE: February 3, 2011
TO: Regional Staff
FROM: Cheryl A. Fischer, P.E. Assistant Director for Code Interpretation
NOTE: Residential electrical system changes

This is to clarify whether the replacement of an electrical panel box requires the existing breakers to be replaced with arc-fault breakers. NO. Residential Code of New York State Section E3802.11, Arc-fault-interrupter protection is applicable to NEW installations. For instance, there is a new panel box and new additional circuits. Section J407.1, Electrical material (repair), states:
Existing electrical wiring and equipment undergoing repair shall be allowed to be repaired or replaced with like material.
Section J508.1, Electrical general (alteration-level 1) states:
Any alteration to an existing electrical system shall be made in conformity with the provisions of Chapter R33 through Chapter R42.
Section J608.1, Electrical general (alteration-level 2), states:
Any alteration to an existing electrical system relating to work done in any work area shall be made in conformity with the provisions of Chapter R33 through Chapter R42.
Section J608.2, Increased loads, states:
Where alterations subject portions of existing electrical systems to increased loads, such portions shall be made to comply with Chapter R33 through Chapter R42.
Section J608.3, Electrical service, states:
Service to dwelling units shall be a minimum of 100 ampere, three-wire capacity, and service equipment shall be dead front having no live parts exposed whereby accidental contact could be made. Type "S" fuses shall be installed when fused equipment is used.
Exception: Existing service of 60 ampere, three-wire capacity, and feeders of 30 ampere or larger two-or three-wire capacity shall be accepted if adequate for the electrical load being served.
Section J608.4, Ground-fault and arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection, states:
Ground-fault and arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided on newly installed receptacle outlets as required by Section RE3802.
There is no code section that requires the existing circuits to have ground-fault circuit-interrupters, only new circuits. There are configurations where old wiring cannot handle the arc-faults and cause unexpected trips.

This response is limited to the specific question asked and should not be interpreted to give implied approval of any general plans or specifications.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
360max (11-22-2011), B4T (02-05-2011), henrey jetty (04-24-2012), Magneto1 (09-08-2011), masshysteria (01-23-2012), Salvatoreg02 (03-16-2011), short circut (08-01-2011), sonnyet (07-18-2011)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

That's pretty much the same way it's handled here

mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,034

It's rare to see stuff like that spelled out so clearly.

"Assistant Director for Code Interpretation"? That's someone's job? Hmmm.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #4

The GFI thing got me. They are flat out saying if you replace a receptacle in an old bathroom you do NOT have to provide GFI protection. ONLY for new installations.
I had this wrong. Although I must say, to not provide GFI would be pretty careless IMO.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
bruce6670 (02-07-2011), leland (02-05-2011), toolaholic (03-09-2013)
Old 02-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
The GFI thing got me. They are flat out saying if you replace a receptacle in an old bathroom you do NOT have to provide GFI protection. ONLY for new installations.
I had this wrong. Although I must say, to not provide GFI would be pretty careless IMO.

But some lawyer could get you out of a jam with that.

But you (I) would never sleep the same if not corrected.
leland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Are there times when you guys use AFCI breakers even though you don't legally have to? Like in an old house that may have some old wiring that you just can see.
bruce6670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10
Default desar

Hope I'm not getting in to late. I wouldn't install afci in that situation. In the 2011 under articl 210.12 afci that any exstension from an existing circuit is required to have afci protection installed either at the point of connection to the existing circuit or at the origin of the existing circuit.

No one makes a afci receptacle yet ,that I'm awair of.
desar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desar View Post
Hope I'm not getting in to late. I wouldn't install afci in that situation. In the 2011 under articl 210.12 afci that any exstension from an existing circuit is required to have afci protection installed either at the point of connection to the existing circuit or at the origin of the existing circuit.

No one makes a afci receptacle yet ,that I'm awair of.
No they don't make one, that meens you have to install an AFCI breaker unless there is a mass code amendment that says otherwise..
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
desar (02-08-2011), sonnyet (07-18-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #9

Default desar

Mass didn't make an amendment to this article.I was surprised because In the mass amendments rule #3 say an existing installation doesn't have to be brought up to unless major safety violation.This is the reason you didn't have to install afci breakers on a service change.
desar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to desar For This Useful Post:
toolaholic (03-09-2013)
Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by leland View Post
But some lawyer could get you out of a jam with that.

But you (I) would never sleep the same if not corrected.
I agree whole heartedly with leland. To not correct it wouild be downright irresponsible.
ColoradoMaster3768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

In Oklahoma we had an Inspector make us put AFCI's in every house we were doing because we were changing the service from OH to UG. After about 6 months of constant trouble calls AEP got it fixed so we could remove them... It was ridiculous....
Eddies Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce6670 View Post
Are there times when you guys use AFCI breakers even though you don't legally have to? Like in an old house that may have some old wiring that you just can see.
I have put them in because an insurance company required it. And I had a house get hit by lighting that the insurance wouldn't replace all the wiring. Here is one of the boxes after the hit. So I installed arcfault breakers feeding the circuits where there was damage. This box had it's wall plate blown off and you can see the back of the box is gone too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feb 044.jpg (111.7 KB, 48 views)
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to backstay For This Useful Post:
toolaholic (03-09-2013)
Old 03-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #13
toothless peckerhead

Rewards Points: 2,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce6670 View Post
yes

and the insurance company sanctioned it

~S~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Is this true in Ca. as well?
tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tombs For This Useful Post:
toolaholic (03-09-2013)
Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #15
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 4,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombs View Post
Is this true in Ca. as well?
Nothing else on this planet follows CA code.. I found hazardous chemical stickers on fixtures manufactured inCA..

The stickers had to do with the conductors used in the manufacture of the fixture..
Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
Human Voltage Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
No they don't make one, that meens you have to install an AFCI breaker unless there is a mass code amendment that says otherwise..

I believe the route we're going, is if it's not GFI protected it will be AFCI protected.
Sparkyand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 46

In NH you don't have to unless the panel is located in an area that needs arc-fault protection. So, if you have a panel in a living room or what have you, you have to update the panel with AFCIs. If it is located in a basement or garage, you are all set.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Going_Commando For This Useful Post:
DangerRuss (08-24-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando
In NH you don't have to unless the panel is located in an area that needs arc-fault protection. So, if you have a panel in a living room or what have you, you have to update the panel with AFCIs. If it is located in a basement or garage, you are all set.
I'm sorry. This makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.
What in the world does panel location have to do with AFCI requirements.
JGarcia (01-31-2012), ralph (10-19-2013), randas (01-14-2013)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
They do make the AFCI receptacle
JudyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 AM   #20

Default Gfi / afci

Has anyone tried putting a gfi on an afci breaker? Will it cause excessive tripping on either end? I cannot find anything in the code that says I cannot do this, but then I'm not sure if it will work correctly?

JudyN is offline   Reply With Quote