CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Fried Bologna um um good!

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default Pool motor bonding

20amp pool pump has a bonding lug on the outside of case. It is direct wired. I have done many hot tubs but no pools. I think I have to come from the disconnect or panel that feeds the motor with a bond to the motor lug. Which section requires this or what do I really have to do?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

No, there is no requirement to connect this lug to any panel or disconnect. It is a bonding lug, not a ground.

This is your equipotential bonding grid connection. 680.26

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
No, there is no requirement to connect this lug to any panel or disconnect. It is a bonding lug, not a ground.

This is your equipotential bonding grid connection. 680.26

That is what I thought but since there is no bonding grid I thought I read it had to be. I get confused easy.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #4

680.26 Equipotential Bonding.

(A) Performance.
The equipotential bonding required by this section shall be installed to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area.

(B) Bonded Parts.
The parts specified in 680.26(B)(1) through (B)(7) shall be bonded together using solid copper conductors, insulated covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG or with rigid metal conduit of brass or other identified corrosion-resistant metal. Connections to bonded parts shall be made in accordance with 250.8. An 8 AWG or larger solid copper bonding conductor provided to reduce voltage gradients in the pool area shall not be required to be extended or attached to remote panelboards, service equipment, or electrodes.

(6) Electrical Equipment. Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the pool water circulating system, including pump motors and metal parts of equipment associated with pool covers, including electric motors, shall be bonded.
Exception: Metal parts of listed equipment incorporating an approved system of double insulation shall not be bonded.
(a) Double-Insulated Water Pump Motors. Where a double-insulated water pump motor is installed under the provisions of this rule, a solid 8 AWG copper conductor of sufficient length to make a bonding connection to a replacement motor shall be extended from the bonding grid to an accessible point in the vicinity of the pool pump motor. Where there is no connection between the swimming pool bonding grid and the equipment grounding system for the premises, this bonding conductor shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the motor circuit.
(b) Pool Water Heaters. For pool water heaters rated at more than 50 amperes and having specific instructions regarding bonding and grounding, only those parts designated to be bonded shall be bonded and only those parts designated to be grounded shall be grounded.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #5

It depends on how old the pool is. If it is new then you HAVE to create a grid. NEC 2008.
If it is not new then you have to connect this to any and all metal associated with the pool, or very close to the pool.

For a typical above ground pool with no heater or anything you just have to hit one upright on the wall, that's it.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #6

Speedy,

I'm a little slow.....bear with me. I see it says the motor has to be bonded. Since I have no grid(existing pool) it must mean that the ground ran with the pool circuit does this. Is this correct? Is it even close?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
It depends on how old the pool is. If it is new then you HAVE to create a grid. NEC 2008.
If it is not new then you have to connect this to any and all metal associated with the pool, or very close to the pool.

For a typical above ground pool with no heater or anything you just have to hit one upright on the wall, that's it.

It is an inground pool. Had two heaters one electric one gas. They had a #8 connected to pool motor. It must run back to the metal on the pool somewhere. Pool is 60 feet away.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #8

With what I described I should have a bond from that lug on outside of motor to the metal parts of the pool. Is that right?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
With what I described I should have a bond from that lug on outside of motor to the metal parts of the pool. Is that right?
Exacitacally.

Quote:
It is an inground pool. Had two heaters one electric one gas. They had a #8 connected to pool motor. It must run back to the metal on the pool somewhere. Pool is 60 feet away.
Sounds like it was done right at one time at least. Can you reconnect the #8?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Exacitacally.

Sounds like it was done right at one time at least. Can you reconnect the #8?

I should be able to. I'm relocating it 20 feet away. Since it is a bond will a split bolt work? What do you recommend?
Old 09-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #11

Quote:
I should be able to. I'm relocating it 20 feet away. Since it is a bond will a split bolt work? What do you recommend?
A bug is fine. Anything rated for direct burial will work. There is no requirement for an irreversible connection.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
A bug is fine. Anything rated for direct burial will work. There is no requirement for an irreversible connection.

Thats what I thought. Thanks a lot Speedy! You are the man!