CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 08-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

Default PSI Master Electrician Exam

Has anyone here taken the Texas Master Electrician Exam recently? I am studying for it right now and kind of need to know what I really need to focus on. Any good study material that can probably help me?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

Try the NEC

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #3

Tom Henry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by p051981 View Post
Has anyone here taken the Texas Master Electrician Exam recently? I am studying for it right now and kind of need to know what I really need to focus on. Any good study material that can probably help me?
He is right. Tom Henry key word index.
Also any other book they tell you to bring
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #5

Ray holder in san marcus tx
cgray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #6

Has anyone else out there taken the new State of Texas electrician's exam? I took it recently and was extremely surprised at the new level of difficulty.
I've been an electrician for over 20 years. I mean, I really know my stuff. I've taken apprenticeship programs too, like I'm sure a lot of guys did. but wow, none of my former studies prepared me for the new level of difficulty over how the old ICC (SBCCI??) test was!
there seemed to be quite a few 'trick' type questions as well. I'm not sure if I got those right or not, the first time anyway.
I tried Ray Holder but I’m the type of person that needs more visuals and stuff, so I took the test and failed. So I kept looking I was lucky to find another Texas company that had some pretty neat testing material to help prepare me for the second round. they offered a seminar, but I'm too busy for an entire weekend, so i used their custom test kit deal. made a 21 point (at least-not really sure what my passing score was, but from a 56 to passing...) difference for me. they took my bar graph from the test (my failure) and created a custom test book/practice exam for me. I think they have a retired master electrician that writes up custom exams for guys like me, not really sure, either that or some sort of program on their computers, but sure seemed like it was pretty specific to exactly what I was weak on, and nothing else...

to tell the truth, I was kind of embarrassed to admit to my employer that I'd failed my journeyman electrician exam! ... Oh well, it's all done and over with now. I think that test prep site is electriciantesting.com or something like that. Try a google for them if you can't find it.
Hope this helps someone, I know p051981 posted this a few years ago but hope someone taking their exam soon finds this helpful.

sorry for the long reply, i am just so happy to have finally passed the exam! lol
sparkybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkybolt View Post
Has anyone else out there taken the new State of Texas electrician's exam? I took it recently and was extremely surprised at the new level of difficulty.
I've been an electrician for over 20 years. I mean, I really know my stuff. I've taken apprenticeship programs too, like I'm sure a lot of guys did. but wow, none of my former studies prepared me for the new level of difficulty over how the old ICC (SBCCI??) test was!
there seemed to be quite a few 'trick' type questions as well. I'm not sure if I got those right or not, the first time anyway.
I tried Ray Holder but Iím the type of person that needs more visuals and stuff, so I took the test and failed. So I kept looking I was lucky to find another Texas company that had some pretty neat testing material to help prepare me for the second round. they offered a seminar, but I'm too busy for an entire weekend, so i used their custom test kit deal. made a 21 point (at least-not really sure what my passing score was, but from a 56 to passing...) difference for me. they took my bar graph from the test (my failure) and created a custom test book/practice exam for me. I think they have a retired master electrician that writes up custom exams for guys like me, not really sure, either that or some sort of program on their computers, but sure seemed like it was pretty specific to exactly what I was weak on, and nothing else...

to tell the truth, I was kind of embarrassed to admit to my employer that I'd failed my journeyman electrician exam! ... Oh well, it's all done and over with now. I think that test prep site is electriciantesting.com or something like that. Try a google for them if you can't find it.
Hope this helps someone, I know p051981 posted this a few years ago but hope someone taking their exam soon finds this helpful.

sorry for the long reply, i am just so happy to have finally passed the exam! lol

Congratulations and Welcome to the forum enjoy the fun and games.

Is this the site you are talking about..?

http://electriciantesting.com/
Old 03-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #8

Congrats and like Harry said, welcome..
Englishsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by p051981
I took the CT test, also had to take business law. NEC that what I used or pay for the practice test PSI offers.

Sent from my iPhone using ET Forum
Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Senor Frijolero

does PSI allow a codebook with writing on it?
fraydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #11

No! I had to buy a whole new book, i had too many notes written on my old book and they wouldn't allow it for the PSI test. they only allow highlighted and permanent tabs. So yeah, don't write in your book.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome
sparkybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #12

Has any taken the NYC master exam? If so do you know of any prep courses.
Sparky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
Ambassador of Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydo View Post
does PSI allow a codebook with writing on it?
PSI supplies a codebook for you.

~Matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #14

you can take all the apprentice programs or siminars you want , but if you yourself do not READ the code book you cannot pass the test , you don't really have to be a good electrical installer, there is plenty of those guys out there , but read the book
cgray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #15

I took it in january and passed on my second try. Best way i think is learn how to find stuff in code book. Test really aint on stuff you do in field so much as it is a test to see if you know how to use book. Also a lot of stuff on ranges. probably 10 q's. Good luck

ratrod56 is offline   Reply With Quote