Electrician Talk banner

Quick question: "Ground Conductor"

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  randomkiller 
#1 ·
When the NEC talks about a 'ground conductor', is it referring to the white grounded conductor or the green / bare equipment grounding conductor - or both or either in certain circumstances?

Here's a for example:

2008 NEC 410.130(G)(1) General ...bla, bla, bla, fluorescent lights need to have a disconnecting means...

(2) Multiwire Branch Circuits. When connected to multiwire branch circuits, the disconnecting means shall simultaneously break all the supply conductors to the ballast, including the ground conductor.

At work we started to receive 4' fluorescent lights (ahem... luminaires) that had a 'disconnecting means' attached to the ballast wires about 3 months ago. They disconnect the hot and grounded wires. Normally, the EGC is terminated with a ring terminal and screwed to the body of the light e.g. I assume the NEC is referring to the grounded conductor in 410.130(G)(2) and not the EGC. Is this assumption wrong? What do y'all think the NEC means by 'ground conductor' - not just in the above example but in general???

Thanx,

-mac

See less See more
#2 ·
My copy of the 2008 NEC and the on-line free access version both refer to the GROUNDED conductor in the article you reference. I don't see GROUND conductor at all in any place I checked.

It's pretty clear the intent of the article is to provide a disconnect for the ballest power supply conductors :icon_wink:

#5 ·
When the NEC talks about a 'ground conductor', is it referring to the white grounded conductor or the green / bare equipment grounding conductor - or both or either in certain circumstances?

Here's a for example:

2008 NEC 410.130(G)(1) General ...bla, bla, bla, fluorescent lights need to have a disconnecting means...

(2) Multiwire Branch Circuits. When connected to multiwire branch circuits, the disconnecting means shall simultaneously break all the supply conductors to the ballast, including the ground conductor.

At work we started to receive 4' fluorescent lights (ahem... luminaires) that had a 'disconnecting means' attached to the ballast wires about 3 months ago. They disconnect the hot and grounded wires. Normally, the EGC is terminated with a ring terminal and screwed to the body of the light e.g. I assume the NEC is referring to the grounded conductor in 410.130(G)(2) and not the EGC. Is this assumption wrong? What do y'all think the NEC means by 'ground conductor' - not just in the above example but in general???

Thanx,

-mac
They are refering to your neutral or grounded conductor.

In your code reference it requires that both circuits disconnect simultaneously. ie: dishwasher disposal on a 3 wire.

The green wire AKA ground wire is your grounding conductor.
Check article 100 definitions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.