CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Running MC in Conduit?

Maybe you guys can clarify something for me as I left my code book in the work truck.

Roughing in remodeled bathrooms for a clinic that were completely gutted and being redone. My supervisor told me for the vanity lights to put up a box with mud ring and stub out a 3/4" EMT 90. We are installing can lights as soon as they frame in the ceiling (it will be hard decked). His idea is to run MC from can to can and then run MC down the 3/4" EMT to wire up the vanity lights. I told him I was pretty sure that isn't allowed and he challenged me to give him a code reference proving this. But I am an idiot and forgot my book in the truck.

I just think this wouldn't work well for the fact that nothing is really keeping it in the conduit and in the box.

Also, just for added bonus, do general use restrooms in a clinic need to be hospital grade MC? I was under the impression it was only for patient rooms.

jculber is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The problem with sleeving the MC like that is what is the connector gonna connect to. I didn't need hcfmc for my restrooms, but if they have a piss cup pass thru, you may need it.

knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

no pass through as this is just a general use in the hallway. The point of not having the connector attaching to anything is the problem i was having with it as well. He was just wanting to push the MC into the pipe to the box and then just wire it up like that. No connector involved. I would at least put one on so it couldn't work itself back up the conduit. But still don't like the idea.
jculber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

They make mc to emt connectors. Its a set screw, dont run the mc assembly through the pipe.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

See NEC 330.10(A) " Type MC cable shall be permitted as follows:
(1) thru (6)
(7) In any raceway.
(8) thru (12)

The problem, in the situation mentioned, would be a code compliant method of connecting/ securing the MC to the box. While you can secure MC with cable ties, you would need a "listed" connector at the box.

Someone posted to use an EMT to flex coupling: This is not code compliant. The individual conductors, in MC, are not approved for use in other raceways without being in the MC jacket.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Tabihu Juhar

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtiElectric View Post
They make mc to emt connectors. Its a set screw, dont run the mc assembly through the pipe.

Why not? If it's just sleeved, and you say no,....please explain.

EDIT: Misconception on sleeving, didn't realize you had EMT right to the box......

Last edited by 76nemo; 02-11-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Sorry, read again...
76nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
BBQ
Salty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit View Post
See NEC 330.10(A) " Type MC cable shall be permitted as follows:
(1) thru (6)
(7) In any raceway.
(8) thru (12)

The problem, in the situation mentioned, would be a code compliant method of connecting/ securing the MC to the box. While you can secure MC with cable ties, you would need a "listed" connector at the box.

Someone posted to use an EMT to flex coupling: This is not code compliant. The individual conductors, in MC, are not approved for use in other raceways without being in the MC jacket.
The fact it is allowed in any raceway means it is allowed in any raceway.

When it is in a raceway it does not have to be secured to the box, it is secured to the raceway.

Quote:
330.30 Securing and Supporting.

(B) Securing. Unless otherwise provided, cables shall be secured
at intervals not exceeding 1.8 m (6 ft). Cables containing
four or fewer conductors sized no larger than 10 AWG
shall be secured within 300 mm (12 in.) of every box, cabinet,
fitting, or other cable termination.
It is secured near the fitting, they do not expect it to be secured again at the box as no force can be put on it.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76nemo View Post
Why not? If it's just sleeved, and you say no,....please explain.

EDIT: Misconception on sleeving, didn't realize you had EMT right to the box......
Because you need a listed connector for the transition
Old 02-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jculber View Post
no pass through as this is just a general use in the hallway. The point of not having the connector attaching to anything is the problem i was having with it as well. He was just wanting to push the MC into the pipe to the box and then just wire it up like that. No connector involved. I would at least put one on so it couldn't work itself back up the conduit. But still don't like the idea.

Ask him what is the popose of using type MC cable "HG"

If he wants you to sleeve ,hg/mc without a change over connector then it mine as well be romex.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Ambassador of Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit View Post

BS, prove it. The MC I buy has identification on each conductor every 2 feet.

~Matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #11
Tabihu Juhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150 View Post
BS, prove it. The MC I buy has identification on each conductor every 2 feet.

~Matt

I don't see that much. Like the old arguement of whether MTW can be run along full raceway....
Old 02-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

I've seen this done with romex in residential where they use pvc.
mightyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jculber View Post
Also, just for added bonus, do general use restrooms in a clinic need to be hospital grade MC? I was under the impression it was only for patient rooms.
I think what you're referring to is the requirement that wiring methods in a patient care area qualify as an equipment grounding conductor. The little bonding wire inside the hospital grade MC is what does that, I believe.

A general use bathroom in the hallway wouldn't be a patient care area so the MC jacket wouldn't necessarily have to qualify as an EGC. Unless it was in the spec book or something.