CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 81
Default Service entrance disconnect

I know the service entrance disconnect must be near the entrance of the service cable. Is there a rule how far from entering the building. Case in point,I was at a single famly dwelling which had an addition . The service entrance cables of a 200 amp service were ran from the meter cabinent through the addition in 2" rigid app.30' to the main panel.this instulation was inspected ? Is there a rule for how far unprotected cables can be run?

reddog552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog552
I know the service entrance disconnect must be near the entrance of the service cable. Is there a rule how far from entering the building. Case in point,I was at a single famly dwelling which had an addition . The service entrance cables of a 200 amp service were ran from the meter cabinent through the addition in 2" rigid app.30' to the main panel.this instulation was inspected ? Is there a rule for how far unprotected cables can be run?
Our building requirement is less the 6' applies without protection. More then 6' then OCPD must be installed after the load side of the meter.

Sent from my iPhone using ET Forum

Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,346

The NEC states as near as possible where the conductors enter the building. That being said many jurisdictions have amendments such as 10 feet, etc.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Sideways Sparky

Rewards Points: 526

We are 6M (20'), any further and it has to be run in Rigid.
farlsincharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Fried Bologna um um good!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Commercial we can go up to 15ft in most cases in my home county. Residential they will usually let us go 1 bay over. No more that that. So basically 5ft or less. I would ask my AHJ.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Ax grinder

30' seems a little excessive to me but there may be a local amendment that allows that.

Chris
raider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Inspector

Rewards Points: 262

Up to the EI here. It used to be in the utility requirements.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

This reminds me of the first house that I ever wired on my own. It was in Vermont and I was a 3rd year apprentice. At the time no license was required for residential. Setup was a 200 amp meter socket with main breaker disconnect mounted on a pedastal and then 200' to the house. The conduit entered the bldg. about 35' from the panel. I decided that this rule applied and some of my journeyman thought so as well so I mounted another disconnect inside. In retrospect I don't think it needed this disconnect because the conductors had ocp at the meter disconnect. Oh well.
blueheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

all the AHJs around here require an outside disconnect so we install meter/main combos if it is metered at the pole they require a disconnect on the house.
Mr Rewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

we have same thing here.. we call them house power panels, standard 200 amp. its just a meter socket with 12 throws below,(6)2pole throws cost about $120 each. also handy when wiring outside things like well pumps,a/c units etc. (not intended for single pole though,but alot of folks put single pole ckts on them)
rnr electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #11
I saw a guy do it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr electric View Post
we have same thing here.. we call them house power panels, standard 200 amp. its just a meter socket with 12 throws below,(6)2pole throws cost about $120 each. also handy when wiring outside things like well pumps,a/c units etc. (not intended for single pole though,but alot of folks put single pole ckts on them)
In California we use"all in ones" with the Meter, main, and loadcenter all in one enclosure.
SparkYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #12

yup sounds like the same thing just different terminology.
rnr electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #13

In canada there is a limit, I think like 10 feet or something, unless it's run under the slab. Can't just run it in rigid here I don't think.

kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote