Suspending security camera from conduit - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > NEC Code Forum

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Signal1
  • 1 Post By catsparky1
  • 2 Post By Suncoast Power
  • 1 Post By Signal1

Old 02-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Suspending security camera from conduit

Yes, I have thoroughly used search function and researched NEC 314.23(F).

Bidding a commercial retail job, scope requires (8) security cameras to be suspended from conduit(hanging vertically)/j-boxes from interior roof structure. Think, the electronics section of walmart where small bubble lense cameras hang from the ceiling.

On top end, the conduit will be secured to j-box. J-box will be secured to the bar joist of the roofing structure via toggle bolts or variant (beam clamp). The camera cat5 cable will be fed into j-box via knock-out with plastic bushing.

On the bottom end of conduit, j-box will be secured to conduit, open portion of box will be facing towards the floor. Security camera will fasten into j-box plate screws. This portion will effectively be hanging in free-air, 16' AFF. Ceiling height is about 23' AFF. Requiring approx 7' of conduit per drop. The hanging height of the camera is the client's requirement.

My questions:

1. It appears that it would be a code violation to have the conduit hanging unsecured beyond 3' of its last support (the j-box secured to bar joist). Am I wrong?

2. It is my understanding the conduit must be IMC or RMC and must be threaded at both ends. Am I wrong?

3. If I am able to maintain the length of conduit desired by client (not violating code), I will be required to cut the conduit to correct length, which will do away with one of the ends of conduit being threaded. That said, would it be permissible to use set-screw type connector with lock ring to fasten conduit to j-box?

4. Is the use of aircraft cable or similar material required as a "safety chain" to act as a fail-safe in the situation of conduit falling from j-box?

NEC 314.23(F)

Exception No. 2: An unbroken length(s) of rigid or intermediate metal conduit shall be permitted to support a box used for luminaire or lampholder support, or to support a wiring enclosure that is an integral part of a luminaire and used in lieu of a box in accordance with 300.15( B), where all of the following conditions are met:

(a) The conduit is securely fastened at a point so that the length of conduit beyond the last point of conduit support does not exceed 900 mm (3 ft).

(b) The unbroken conduit length before the last point of conduit support is 300 mm (12 in.) or greater, and that portion of the conduit is securely fastened at some point not less than 300 mm (12 in.) from its last point of support.

(c) Where accessible to unqualified persons, the luminaire or lampholder, measured to its lowest point, is at least 2.5 m (8 ft) above grade or standing area and at least 900 mm (3 ft) measured horizontally to the 2.5 m (8 ft) elevation from windows, doors, porches, fire escapes, or similar locations.

(d) A luminaire supported by a single conduit does not exceed 300 mm (12 in.) in any direction from the point of conduit entry.

(e) The weight supported by any single conduit does not exceed 9 kg (20 lb).

(f) At the luminaire or lampholder end, the conduit( s) is threaded wrenchtight into the box, conduit body, or integral wiring enclosure, or into hubs identified for the purpose. Where a box or conduit body is used for support, the luminaire shall be secured directly to the box or conduit body, or through a threaded conduit nipple not over 75 mm (3 in.) long.
ElectMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 374

Not a luminaire or lampholder. Is the equipment you are installing covered by NEC 314.23??
mitch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mitch65 For This Useful Post:
ElectMe (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 714

I've hung exit signs, and smoke detectors in server rooms like this.

It may be worthwhile to read 312.23(H) Pendant Boxes

You'll need some swivel covers.
Attached Images

360max, B-Nabs and telsa like this.
360max (02-15-2017), ElectMe (02-13-2017), shocksystems (03-11-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 503

You are thinking like high volt . It's low volt = no code .
Fire alarm has codes but not security . Don't get mad but look at the ones whom install these systems .
splatz likes this.
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to catsparky1 For This Useful Post:
ElectMe (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 4,716

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsparky1 View Post
Fire alarm has codes but not security . Don't get mad but look at the ones whom install these systems .
In our jurisdiction, if you install EMT as a raceway and are getting a low voltage permit for it, it has to be installed according to the NEC chapter on EMT.
If you are just using a random piece of pipe as a sleeve for mechanical support such as a penetration or what ever, it can be use out of the chapter.
I would ask the AHJ and let the owner know before hand that its industry standard practice to use EMT and that changing to IMC,or AL (cheaper) will be a CO.

Check it out,
UL listed with an EMT SS connector on the camera end:

shocksystems and splatz like this.

Last edited by Suncoast Power; 02-15-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Suncoast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suncoast Power For This Useful Post:
ElectMe (02-15-2017), telsa (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 439

Quote:
What ya talking bout Willis.
I know hotels in Vegas that spent millions in code corrections fixing just surveillance systems. What some in house people didn't think of or care about electrical codes. Lots of codes apply. Is the cable in a plenum. Is there a J-box for it, then is it supported, and covered. Does the cable need to penitrate a fire rated cieling. Is it in a raceway, then the raceway needs to be installed correctly.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 714

Quote:
Not exactly true. Chapters 7 & 8 deal with a multitude of low voltage installations, and in fact refers back to other sections of the code. Such as Suncoast's example.

As a matter of fact look at Article 770- Optical Fiber Cables and Raceways, in this case it's not low voltage, It's NO voltage, yet it is still addressed by the code.
frenchelectrican likes this.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
Wiresmith

Rewards Points: 266

1. yes, violation, but many inspectors/building departments may allow it. i would recommend 90 out of box and use strut and strut 90 to make a vertical support for vertical par of conduit (also recommend paint strut and conduit)
2. yes, thread on both ends, cut pipe and re-thread it.
3. no set screw, re-thread
4.check camera manufacturers requirements, i recommend doing it either way.
hd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,390

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/se...g-boxes/8161BP
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
shocksystems (03-11-2017), telsa (02-19-2017)